Salt Water Mixing Stations Let's See Them!!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is an awesome setup! Like the floating shelf next to the sink as well! Where do you find your colored elbows etc? I know BRS sells the pipe.

I ordered the fittings on line from Home Depot. They will ship them to your house. I also ordered the pipe from them as it was much less expensive there than from BRS.

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered the fittings on line from Home Depot. They will ship them to your house. I also ordered the pipe from them as it was much less expensive there than from BRS.
Gotcha, thanks. I've seen these before but was weary of them because they list they are not to be used for plumbing purposes. I'm guessing you've had no leeching issues?

Also, I finally remembered to take a picture of my tiny rolling 5gal "mixing station". Practical over pretty.
20170711_143830.jpg

Thats a piece of 1x12 screwed to a furniture dolly for the platform, and a Sicce 2.5 for the fill line. I opted to use the MJ1200 for mixing as I kept knocking into the braided hose and bringing the spout up just enough to get me wet.

Here is the GFCI power strip I attached to the handle with zipties.
20170711_143846.jpg

And here is my RODI storage container with pumping capability.
20170711_143741.jpg

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice set up Joro.
What pump did you use?

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question -- what do you guys use to drill or cut holes in a Norwesco or Ace-Roto plastic tank?

Mine came with bulkheads, but I'm trying to add another opening near the top of the salt water tank so rodi water can be moved between the two, if that makes sense...

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question -- what do you guys use to drill or cut holes in a Norwesco or Ace-Roto plastic tank?

Mine came with bulkheads, but I'm trying to add another opening near the top of the salt water tank so rodi water can be moved between the two, if that makes sense...

I just used a regular hole saw and chose a relatively flat location to drill the holes. Hasn't leaked a drop!

Giraffe0621

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just used a regular hole saw and chose a relatively flat location to drill the holes. Hasn't leaked a drop!

@Rick.45cal -- pretend you're talking to someone who knows squat about saws. Not saying it's true ;)

Regular hole saw? Can I buy just one drill bit that will fit a regular power screwdriver or would you have to buy a whole kit? Doubting I'll need to do this often, if ever again!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Rick.45cal -- pretend you're talking to someone who knows squat about saws. Not saying it's true ;)

Regular hole saw? Can I buy just one drill bit that will fit a regular power screwdriver or would you have to buy a whole kit? Doubting I'll need to do this often, if ever again!

You can go to lowes or home depot and pick out the right one for the job. It goes right into a electric drill. Like these!

IMG_0245.JPG

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love seeing how you guys use COTS products! For those of us that don't have the space (or cohabitants blessing....), does anyone have any portable mixing station DIY ideas they can share? I currently have a 34gal AIO that I use a 5 gallon bucket mounted on a furniture dolly with a sicce pump plumbed to the side for ease of use moving, mixing, and filling. In the middle of a 120gal build and considering runnign a 3/8" tube through the floor from a FSW tank in the basement for fills, and maybe even a tee off the RODI line for auto top off.

Super easy, get a Rubbermaid Brute or two and buy the carts that attach to the bottoms. I have filled these many times and moved them around the house for WC. I've used Brutes from 32 gallon all the way to 55.
Fill win RO/DI add pump and salt then move to tank and pump water in. Use a Python hose kit to tKe water out. Or another Brute.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I posted mine already but guess I didn't.

f018adde42ad373bfd7425fd0590cf13.jpg

110 gallon capacity

Filled with auto shut off float valve from my 6 stage water saver plus RO/DO

Iwaki RTL40 pump for mixing and transferring to my tank.

Cepex ball valves.

Lots of unions and used uniseals. Can easily be broke. Down and moved.

Easy turn Cepex 1" valve at the end of my long hose gives me direct control of flow so I don't ever s pill a drop.

Was not expensive to build had pump and Brutes.

Stand will last forever and cost <$8.00

Long hose for transferring water, easily flexes and braided so doesn't kink.

I do 100 gallon water changes to my 300 gallon system every two weeks.

667e4d875af1594d8b9862a54651eb30.jpg

fb47eb6373d6a4a66b1de701dae5be8d.jpg

MrAlpha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI I ordered a 25 and a 35 gallon Ace Roto water tank from RualKing.com and it qualified for free shipping :D if anyone is looking for something similar.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me too !!! Just ordered two of these today.
The FREE SHIPPING was awesome, because everybody else wanted like $145 just for shipping alone. FarmAndFleet.com
Was the free shipping a promotion? I just checked and they wanted 95 for shipping.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still shows free shipping for me. I believe it might be on orders over $99
Yes you're right on over 99, I was looking for a little greater capacity, anything larger than the thirty five has a freight charge. I may end up with the 35.

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you're right on over 99, I was looking for a little greater capacity, anything larger than the thirty five has a freight charge. I may end up with the 35.

I just ordered 2 x 40 gallon tanks from rural king ..no freight. free shipping. total was about $150 for the two of them.

rpogge2

Zoa Junkie !
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you all handling the filling of both an RODI reservoir at the mixing station and an ATO reservoir under the tank?

I currently use a Tunze Osmolator from the ATO container into the sump.
I am adding a mixing station in the garage, but I know the Osmilator pump wont pump the distance to the sump from the garage. SO that rules out topping off directly from the RODI res in the garage.

I have ordered a Specrtapure MC-RODI-100-PPLUS which has the level controller built in and includes 2 mag float switches. (this will go above the mixing tanks in the garage)

Would I just T off the output lines prior to the solenoid valve, and run that leg to a standard float valve in the RODI tank, and the other leg that exits the solenoid to the ATO tank.
Then run remote wires to the ATO tank for the 2 mag float switches?

What would happen if the ATO tank switches triggered the solenoid while the RODI tank in the garage was already filling? WOuld it fill the one with the lowest center of gravity first?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i just orderd a 40 as well 10.99 for shipping , I wanted the 55 open top tank for mixing but shipping was 155.

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 2 of the 40 gallon vertical tanks for $76.97 each with free shipping and in store coupon for 12% off for future purchase.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still waiting

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back