Salt.

Woodyth

PITTER PATTER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what people are using. Coming from using the boxed Imagitarium water, because of location and size, so wanting to start mixing my own. Thoughts?

Not trying to create a war here, just curious what people are using.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
io gets the job done at a very affordable price range. If you need to boost any numbers you can just dose it up.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any salt will grow corals. most salts will tell you what levels they will mix at. find one that mixes close to what you want to keep your tank at and dose up from there. most salts will use alot of marketing hype to get you to try there salt. I just started using red sea blue bucket from using the red sea coral pro.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea standard salt and it’s always been fine, combined with dosing and/or calcium reactor

OP
OP
Woodyth

Woodyth

PITTER PATTER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been watching vids on brs and have it narrowed down to redsea pro, or tm symbotic

Last edited:

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs also makes cash on selling you the highly priced salts. Nothing against them. I order from them too. But its a great business model they follow. Georgia aquarium is a lot bigger than brs and they seem to do well on IO. also I don't know for sure but someone told me jason fox runs on IO since its cheap, and his corals are top shelf.

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Fritz for a long time and have had success with it. I am currently using the red box, but I will probably switch to the blue once the red runs out.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Bulk Reef Supply You Tube videos on salt mixes are quite good. You can watch them without buying anything from BRS. They have one on salt affordability and Instant Ocean comes out on top. Any salt mix can be used successfully. Many people have used Instant Ocean Just fine.

Tropic Marin Pro comes out as their highest rated salt based on speed of mixing, no residues, and chemical consistency. The mix is more than Instant Ocean but not excessively so.

Now I have had salt mixes come in with ALK levels out of whack. It would be nice to see that sort of thing rated but that would mean buying a pot load of salt mixes and mixing them up and measuring and that would be pretty expensive even for BRS.

Palegic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used IO, Reef Crystals strictly for about 10 years. For the past 3 years or so I have switched to Red Sea Coral Pro. Nothing has given me coral growth like Coral Pro. However, it doesn't mix as easy in my opinion.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%

Back