OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to also mention, this stuff has popped off the bottom where there's little to no sand and floated at te surface. Usually releasing bubble at the same time. Chunks pop off constantly and usually go thru the overflow or get destroyed into bits by the power heads or occasionally just stay floating for a bit.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir. Threw 4 bags at it. When I started the frag tank, u used the dt water. I bag of chemi clean in a 20g long and it still had it. Ryan, your vote was for a ATS (obviously a better/bigger one than I already own)?

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio-pellets is what I would do, but that might not fit into your budget. ATS seemed most effective and cost worthy.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bio pellets fall within the budget. Just didn't want to jump into something that just became another toss at the ongoing issue like a penny in a wishing well, lol. I like the reviews on the warner marine pellets and the bio churn reactors. I'm still rolling over the silicate idea. I thought gfo effectively removed silicate? Maybe I'm wrong here though

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on silicate removal. I'd use Warner pellets if I were you and introduce them slowly. Meaning 1/4 of the recommended dose to start and 1/4 one month later, etc...

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes sir. I usually stir it up and siphon out open water junk or siphon off the rocks and floor. WC's are done using 12 feet of garden hose too btw

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sir. You reading my mind?? Lol. It crossed my mind to start dosing it (mb7)last night incase my bacteria isn't right. Just wasn't sure if I should buy live sand instead too

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully that will help.

Remind me... Was your tank always bare bottom? If not, did this start when you took the sand out?

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I had a 2-3 bottom I removed it because it was trapping junk. When I pulled it out, the water in the trash can turned black. Things weren't this bad with a sand bed

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brad, we gotta get this figured out man. I've done lots of research on Dino's and I've learned that nobody has any clue, lol. Sounds like most cases are from people that started with dry rocks and people are having pretty good results with acid washes prior to use and a curing process in a dark place with lots of waterchanges. After all this time with this stuff I really don't think biopellets or new skimmers are gonna help. I think I'd be ready to move on to more drastic measures. Maybe start with a few pieces of rock and acid wash and soak and see if it comes back in a separate tank. Have you talked to Chris (Skins) about it. I know he battled this stuff for a long time, now he has a completely different tank and all the issues went away. I really don't feel this type of algae is lack of care or anything to blame on the tank owner, I feel it's a curse you start with.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brett. I haven't talked to Chris about issues since he beat it. I do remember his issues in the 120 though. I whole heartily believe it's my rocks causing the issue. I'm considering drastic measures now, but only with the rock. Just don't know how the system will react if I pull half out, dry them, run them thru a massive lanthanum Chloride treatment, then possibly bleach them.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just remembering back last year, while my fish were in hypo for 10 plus weeks, I had hair algae growing even after manual removal and no feedings to the dt.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking that started it. Found 45-50 lbs of live rock for 180 shipped. My have to try it. Pulling out the rocks, super cleaning them, adding some live rock and sand and starting the rock structure over.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back