Saltgator's 72x30x25/233g Build

GrampaDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using my Aquamax EM300 for 2 years now. It's a pretty good skimmer.
I'm guessing the 240 was 72X24X30high ?

[Wish I could go 30 wide / better yet 36 wide]

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using my Aquamax EM300 for 2 years now. It's a pretty good skimmer.
I'm guessing the 240 was 72X24X30high ?

[Wish I could go 30 wide / better yet 36 wide]
My previous 240 was 96x24x24. Huge, lol! I'm settled on getting the aquamaxx em600, just might wait til after the new year to get it.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted a 30"+ wide tank when I got the 180g but didn't have the room in the designated location due to a large diningroom table. Since the setup my kids moved out and now have no need for this large table adjacent to the tank - figures - lol! Future 300g+ build? Maybe....

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 300+ sounds good, lol. More tangs!
Absolutely!!! Lol I also love the idea of more aquascaping options :) I love my rock ridge but would like some additional swim area and an island or two. I would like a 72l x 36d X 24h. Anything taller is too high for my short self lol I need long tongs as it is on a 24h!

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have the salty fever you'll never go back! Stick with it and try and keep your head up. Try and learn from your mistakes in the past and learn to not make them in the future.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you have the salty fever you'll never go back! Stick with it and try and keep your head up. Try and learn from your mistakes in the past and learn to not make them in the future.
That's just it, I don't know what caused the death of 3-4 of my fish. It definitely wasn't parasites, bullied by other fish or electricity. I'm headed back out to the garage now to clean some more of the tank and spend some upkeep on it. I appreciate it though Ryan, btw, it's the next week you spoke of for more pics on that salty 120, lol!

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something in the air such as a candle, air freshener, or fumes from gasoline or something?

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something in the air such as a candle, air freshener, or fumes from gasoline or something?
Good thinking, we burn candles like crazy all throughout expect the reef room, but I would expect it to effect all the livestock including corals. I don't know, maybe it was just that time for some of them.

My hold up at the moment is the sump/plumbing layout. My skimmer fits, but if I run the sump and skimmer, I have zero room for removing it while the sump is in use. So, looking at external skimmers or adding another system (fuge, remote sump and frag tank) off to the side.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inside is 28 inches tall by 29 inches deep by 67 wide. The issue is, the stand is built like a tank. 2x6 frame and a raised floor make it nearly impossible to used my skimmer or a new one (25+ inches tall). When I mean use, I mean getting it out of a sump for a total clean. If I never took it out, it'd be fine (almost set and forget). Bottom line is getting a 10-12 inch body skimmer in and out while incorporating a large enough sump. I hope I answered your questions Jackie, lol, it's Friday and almost homebound time!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, flat back (off the wall by about 4 inches for maintenance and plumbing). Sump has yet to be determined, thought of using my old 1 chamber 55g standard.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was curious to see if a way could be thought up. Your stand is short compared to mine at 42" - inside height of 36". And still the one thing I didn't think through was getting the whole skimmer out when needed. I have a 55 gallon sump in mine. But I put the pipes in front of the skimmer and not behind....duh! Although, thanks to my height I'm able to work it out. We build our stand of 2 X 6 + 2 X 8 so I understand the heavy build ;)

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8767a729b0cc87e79fea69efca20bfb3.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes ma'am, exactly. Trying to avoid me doing that or likewise, lol. I had the same issue in the previous build, I'd have to drain the 55 sump 100% and turn it til the end was out just to clean/get the skimmer out of the sump. What a pain. I'm wanting to be able to allow things to still operate if needed if the skimmer goes out.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get mine out it's just awkward. I have to remove the cup and disconnect the pump then over the 55g center brace and then under the pipes and out lol. My pipes are not straight accross but on a 30 deg angle. This actually saved my but on my error haha.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely cheaper to go that route vs a new external skimmer. I'm gonna try and either find a large but shallow sump, something like 48 long x 20 deep x 15 high. Lol, might have to get a 30g breeder, just thinking, lol.
My other thought was to have my drains, drain to a remote sump off to the side that sat in a cabinet/stand that held my 50-60 gallon fuge.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stand is taller than yours but yours is deeper (front to back) by 6" and has a raised floor with gym mat to absorb sound and vibrations. I have the 55g and a 20g ato in it. I think if you just built a taller stand you could even get away with a 75g sump.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 57 40.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 21 14.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 33 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.0%
Back