OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just want to vent a bit. I love when people put their .02 cents in on a sale thread and want to tell you what you should do to sell something, even when they have no interest in buying the item. I guess everyone has their ppl that know how to do this hobby right and your always wrong. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but everyone's opinion isn't always welcome unless it's asked for!

Lol. Thanks for letting me rant. My local forum has some RC members that know how to do ALL reef things better (selling, fragging, growing coral,etc) than me. I aint no expert, but telling me I'm not doing a simple thing right (like simply selling a used reef item) it wasn't for a few locals, I'd probably have quit being a member and start my own local club with members like we have on R2R, good wholesome people that help and don't create drama and think they know everything. Thanks to Rev and our entire family here, I'm glad I've been a member here rather than other drama reef sites! Thank y'all

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brad just caught up! I'm so sorry about your losses but wow, you got the PERFECT tank! (IMHO-LOL). It is what I was looking for and couldn't find so I got the 180. Love the sb realestate :) Congrats, GREAT find!

+1 on those "expert" attitudes, I hear ya. They're even worse on FB groups, I loathe fb. And that is putting it as kind as I can :p.

So glad how things (other than your losses) are coming along for you :D

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lagoon now has the fuge contents including the frags (whats left and the inverts).

0ed744df9b97417d17723f933984634f.jpg
054d9b622f7b01933589828495ff02da.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, sitting in the garage, lol. I've just started getting all the old sand out. Still need to reskin the stand or build a new one. Basically been trying to sell the old 240 (which sold Friday night). I asked my wife to kick my butt into gear on the new build.

Lately I've been tossing the ideas up on going CL or not, selling my swc 230 skimmer and what fish I want this system to house. I'm missing my regal angel but also miss clams. Might not do clams and go with a majestic or blue face.
I'm pretty sure I'm gonna cap off the CL and run 2 x rw20s and go from there. Probably gonna sell the swc 230 skimmer and go skimz or aquamaxx.

Anyway, thanks for the bump Jackie. Glad to hear from you

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha, sound like me - procrastinator! I do NOTHING until I have my mind settled lol.

Yeah I understand about the fish vs clams. I really love clams but they never make it in my tank due to attack from someone (most likely it's the coral beauty) so I gave up. My acros are doing fantastic so I'm sticking with that :)

Majestic or blue face are both great choices! The swc skimmer might work for your tank for a little while... just a thought. I'm still using my RO nw150 on my 180 and it does a fine job. This way my tank isn't stripped.

Is the tank going to be placed flat to a wall or peninsula style? If peninsula you might want to keep one of those CL's open to use as a return. I'm glad I did ;) Otherwise I agree with you.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's gonna be flat on the wall in the fish cave. I just know me and my bioload so that was my thinking on the skimmer. I told my wife I wanted the tank cycling by Dec 1st or before, so hopefully soon.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True story on the bioload. But it can by you time until you decide which to get (since the tank is a new setup). I have 40 fish in mine and feed a lot and still have no need to upgrade and it's now a year old. But I also do 10% weekly wc because my sps love it.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya on the WC. I slacked off so long before and paid the price. I'll probably wait on the skimmer unless the sales are too good to pass up around Thanksgiving

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I slacked off a few weeks ago and was shocked the difference it made in a hurry! It is easier to do the wc's than to rebalance everything lol. I'm in the works on creating a simple auto wc system using my Jebao DP4. A friend of mine came up with it and it works excellent for him so I am going to give it a shot :) Might have to wait unil after the holidays though....

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. If all goes well, might have to share that idea, just kidding

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep everyone posted on my thread when I begin the project ;)

When using the dp4 as opposed to the stenner pumps, you time it rather than measurement. The dp4 pulls the water out at the same time as adding it in. There is no need to even shut return pumps off. He did 1g x 3 times a day without issue on a 200g tank. His tank bloomed with SPS growth!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, there's sometimes in this hobby that test us. A fish that was part of my family that I fought hard to get I just found dead. My black long nose tang has passed. I have the slightest idea why, he was the boss and was eating last night. No visible signs of stress or health issues. Heck, his HLLE looked to be receding. Nori x 3 sheets a week, LRS herbivore all other days. My other tang and the clowns ate good, coral is growing, no parameters out of wack. Regardless, RIP scarface, you'll be with your buddy now, my regal aka showstopper.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks bud. It does constantly. For once, I've been keeping my hands out of the stock tank (not messing with corals) and letting things be, wet skimming the stock and pretty much just taking my time on the new build. Woosaa!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's still dragging along so slow, but:
I installed all the bulkheads with caps on the rear holes (holes previously used for a CL) and siphoned more junk.

After a long few weeks of asking myself if I was done, I'm gonna keep pushing on because the passion for this hobby still resides within. Pretty much come to the conclusion that my loss of a few prized fish caused me to avoid the hobby, slack or even dismiss the idea of the new setup. I understand some may not get it, but having a certain fish that almost acts like our canine companions causes the loss a bit tough to swallow.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it Brad ;) And when some pretty seemingly hopeless stuff happens it makes you think about leaving the hobby too. Been there several times myself. But if I had quit I wouldn't know how exciting it is to FINALLY be able to grow acros!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I'm still loving the hobby, actually looking at LA right now or deciding on a blue squamosa from POTO. I'll definitely keep striding forward. Thanks Jackie

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back