OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No ma'am, I'm slacking severely! This pollen and a overhaul on our house has me set back a bit

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering.... yeah I hear that, the pollen is terrible! My cars are covered in a thick yellow/green powder and I just washed it off a couple days ago. Been sneezing like crazy too.

But I'll be looking for a pic of your tank with water in it lol!

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to Reef A Palooza in Orlando, April 25/26?
I've considered it since it's my bday weekend, but I might have stumbled upon a pair of angels that would set me back some $. I know, don't get more fish but my qt is running solid and it's a 55g.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha! I was wondering because I will be there both days helping a friend who has a booth. Thought it would be nice to actually meet some of the people I talk to on the forum :) I know R2R will be but not sure is Rev will be at their booth or not.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sand is in and somewhat of a rock workup. Making water now
uploadfromtaptalk1459224653960.jpg

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jackie.

80 gallons in and waiting on more to be made. Gonna add some seachem stability just cause I have in the past but also either tossing in LRS reef frenzy or just a couple chunks of homemade food (shrimp, nori, scallops and squid) to start the cycle. Continuing checking the bulkheads for leaks where I capped off the CL (5 in total).

Haven't added the sump or its plumbing (see next paragraph on why), so after water this week I'll start that, but at least the cycle will have started and I have the time to put the sump and plumbing together.

As for the sump and why I didn't set it up.... I'm still undecided on what direction I want to go, so if your reading, chime in:

Option 1: 50g breeder containing my skimmer, return and a fuge. Fuge would be abound 20-25 gallons I'm guessing after skimmer and return sections are made.

Option 2: 50g breeder as a fuge plumbed to a 40g breeder that would hold my skimmer and return.

Option 3: 50g breeder containing no fuge but adding a 1 or 2 MarinePure Bio block(s).

Option 4: Remote 100g stock vat located on the outside of stand. No solid baffles, just egg crate to separate the skimmer and return area. The remaining area not housing the skimmer or return would be a fuge.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the sound of option 4...probally a good reason to avoid it! Anyways. Exciting build. Following along! Keep the pics comin

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, thanks BoneXriffic. I appreciate the bump and reply

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like options 2 & 4. I think it depends on if you want a stock vat outside the stand or if you'd like to able to hide the filtration and equipment or not. ...or keep kids out of it ;)

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jackie. Option 2 is nice, it's just a super tight fit with 2 x 36 inch tanks wall to wall but the best idea I think.
Option 4 is nice since it'll be huge with no limit to how tall for skimmer, BUT lighting a fuge next to a skimmer causes issues (for me because it grows junk in the skimmer). I've definitely considered option 4 first and adding a stand (kids and dogs) to sit over it that might also house a frag tank above on the stand.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NP Brad :D Seriously though. I think whichever one you choose you're going to love things about it and there'll be something you won't. So pick the one that will give the most benefit or the lesser of the evils.

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, Thanks Jackie. Good news is its cycling still. Bad news is I might be taking it down temporarily.
My wife and I may be able to aquire the funds in a few months to tile the house so obviously it'd be better to tear down now rather than later.

I'm planning on putting the 50g breeder up and plumbing a sump in, using some of the current cycling rock and sand, along with some new rock, and just keeping the remaining livestock happy for the next few months.

I know it's not ideal and poor planning on my end but we had no idea on the financial situation that we may come into. Who knows, it may all be delayed.

Back