Saltwater Mixing station - consistent mix

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m setting up my mixing station with plans to perform auto water changes; I was just curious about how reefers are maintaining a consistent salt mix? It looks like there will always be a couple gallons of unused saltwater with each batch; how are reefers dealing with this before mixing new batch? Does the mixing side need to be flushed with fresh RODI before mixing the next batch?
69D11C05-BBCB-4F5C-A830-8211D24D0725.jpeg

CEReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check salinity while you mix, it shouldn’t be a big deal. I.e. if you target 1.025 sg, the first time, you should see how many cups take you to 1.024. Then the next time you will add those cups, let it mix a couple of hours, and then test salinity, add half a cup, wait 2h, retest and so on till you reach your target.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What he said^^^

Eventually you'll get to the point where you can just eyeball the amount of remaining salt mix is in there, fill it with rodi, and dump in the (nearly) correct amount of salt. Don't over think it. There's plenty else in this hobby for that!

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^What he said^^^

Eventually you'll get to the point where you can just eyeball the amount of remaining salt mix is in there, fill it with rodi, and dump in the (nearly) correct amount of salt. Don't over think it. There's plenty else in this hobby for that!
Yea, I get that; my previous mixing station was just a couple of brute trash cans that I was able to rinse out after every batch; I was stuck in that mode of thinking. You are right about over thinking things; I've been spinning my wheels for a year on this build ;Facepalm Thanks for your advice. I can move on now

miran2782

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using two 20G brutes plumbed together. I couldn't justify spending more than the $20/each for the brutes even though I really like those polyethylene tanks. Anyway I always do 12G water changes so the leftover saltwater stays in the mixing barrel and then right after the water change I transfer in 12G of RODI then it sits until next time (so a much lower salinity water sits in the barrel until next month). Then I have a small bucket marked to add the same amount of salt every time and that gets me usually close enough to not need to tweak unless I change to a new batch of salt.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using two 20G brutes plumbed together. I couldn't justify spending more than the $20/each for the brutes even though I really like those polyethylene tanks. Anyway I always do 12G water changes so the leftover saltwater stays in the mixing barrel and then right after the water change I transfer in 12G of RODI then it sits until next time (so a much lower salinity water sits in the barrel until next month). Then I have a small bucket marked to add the same amount of salt every time and that gets me usually close enough to not need to tweak unless I change to a new batch of salt.
More great advice; just replace what you use, then tweak. Sounds like that will work. Thanks

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.8%
Back