Same conversation, new day. Let’s talk about salt

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like this is about cost.

I don't know the size of your tank but 200 gallons changing 1% per day would be 730 gallons in a year, or about five buckets of salt. So if the difference between IO and say Red Sea is $30 per bucket we're talking $150 a year. Not sure it's really worth worrying about, just use what you like best.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re keen to switch to a similar pharmaceutical grade product I think Fauna Marin would be the clear choice.

Personally I use Red Sea blue bucket as the parameters are close to NSW, but that comes at the cost of brown buildup in my mixing tank.
Run a small bag of rox 1/4 cup. It will get rid of all residue and is easy to implement.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh nice! I’ll check out Fauna, thaey slipped my mind. And you nailed it with Red Sea. Love the salt. Price is right. The brown build up is the issue
Small bag of carbon in mixing container will keep the residue at bay.
IMO any salt will do. To many people overthink salt.
Pick one close to your systems parameters and call it a day.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it sounds like this is about cost.

I don't know the size of your tank but 200 gallons changing 1% per day would be 730 gallons in a year, or about five buckets of salt. So if the difference between IO and say Red Sea is $30 per bucket we're talking $150 a year. Not sure it's really worth worrying about, just use what you like best.
Very true. I am around 120 gallons with the tanks all plumbed together. and at the end of the day. Its not to crazy of a price difference. I do buy a year or 2s worth of salta at a time. so.. whatever I choose, is going to be around for a while.

OP
OP
BARNAKEWLZ

BARNAKEWLZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small bag of carbon in mixing container will keep the residue at bay.
IMO any salt will do. To many people overthink salt.
Pick one close to your systems parameters and call it a day.
that kind of the reason here. A few years a go. when I switched to TM, I may of over thought salts. Now is the time to simplify things. but I do believe, sticking with one is probably a good idea

Back