Sam's Oceanic 120 - DIY solutions

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro this thing is looking awesome. Love the tie in. Did you make those overflow boxes on your 3d printer?.? Going to be building my own overflow for the 150g and need some inspiration lol

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Bro this thing is looking awesome. Love the tie in. Did you make those overflow boxes on your 3d printer?.? Going to be building my own overflow for the 150g and need some inspiration lol
Thanks! Overflow is made from a 2'x4' sheet of black extruded PVC ceiling tile I got from Menards for $13. I cut it out on my DIY CNC but the last one I did for the 15 gallon I cut with a razorblade. My only caveat with it is that its less durable then acrylic so the teeth of the weir need to be babied when cleaning them. I've already had to glue some of the weir teeth back in on the small tank.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Finally got some PAR measurements!
IMG_2978.JPEG

IMG_2988(1).JPEG
IMG_2987.JPEG
IMG_2986(1).JPEG
IMG_2985(1).JPEG
IMG_2982(1).JPEG
IMG_2980.JPEG

rc8t6353

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
couple of corals from Petco. came in really clean except for some xenia that I scraped off. $30 for the hammer (they thought it was a torch) 15 for the favia colony. better pricing then a lot of the dedicated reef stores near me...
speaking of which; so stoked to find Reefwise is only 20 minutes away... bet your buns I'm going to check that place out soon.
It must be wacky Wednesday... my wife is getting on board with the few purchases I let her know about ;)

IMG_1815.JPEG IMG_1814.JPEG
Which Petco do you go to? I'm right across the border in NWI and don't mind a drive. I've never been to reefwise either. Field Trip this weekend? Lol

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The Petco on 2204 S. Harlem in Riverside has really good saltwater selection usually.
Reefwise is awesome so I’d definitely make it there.
Also, Blue Line Coral and The Little Reef Shop are both solid too and they're all pretty close to each other.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Petco on 2204 S. Harlem in Riverside has really good saltwater selection usually.
Reefwise is awesome so I’d definitely make it there.
Also, Blue Line Coral and The Little Reef Shop are both solid too and they're all pretty close to each other.

Is that Riverside or North Riverside? Hhhmmmmm??? I ask because the people from Riverside get all offended if you say they’re from North Riverside. Believe it, or not, this is actually true. A friend of mine has his dental practice on Burlington in Riverside which backs to the tracks. He will confirm. I believe it to be a higher “snooty factor.”

Blue Line is the relatively new place on Ogden in Naperville, isn’t it?

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is that Riverside or North Riverside? Hhhmmmmm??? I ask because the people from Riverside get all offended if you say they’re from North Riverside. Believe it, or not, this is actually true. A friend of mine has his dental practice on Burlington in Riverside which backs to the tracks. He will confirm. I believe it to be a higher “snooty factor.”

Blue Line is the relatively new place on Ogden in Naperville, isn’t it?
I suppose so; it looks like they've been there forever though.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suppose so; it looks like they've been there forever though.

If memory serves me correct, I think they opened in 2019. Although, sometimes my memory tells me I’m only 45 again and I hurt myself!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - speaking of memory; way back in the day, I caddied at a country club not too far from you. Edgewood Valley. Some of the best memories of my life were made there.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
BTW - speaking of memory; way back in the day, I caddied at a country club not too far from you. Edgewood Valley. Some of the best memories of my life were made there.
All kidding aside, That's 9 minutes from my place! I pass it when I go single track at Palos! My dad has been getting on my case about Joining a Countryclub. The one around the corner has a 10year wait so I'll checkout Edgewood! Thanks for the tip!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kidding aside, That's 9 minutes from my place! I pass it when I go single track at Palos! My dad has been getting on my case about Joining a Countryclub. The one around the corner has a 10year wait so I'll checkout Edgewood! Thanks for the tip!

It used to be a great club. It was not cheap. As a matter of fact, I believe it was one of the most expensive clubs outside of Butler National back then. Not sure what the cost is today.

It's a beautiful course and a decent length at just about 7,000 yards. I know or knew just about everything there was to know about the course. Haven't set foot there in roughly 37 - 38 years.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Overflow is made from a 2'x4' sheet of black extruded PVC ceiling tile I got from Menards for $13. I cut it out on my DIY CNC but the last one I did for the 15 gallon I cut with a razorblade. My only caveat with it is that its less durable then acrylic so the teeth of the weir need to be babied when cleaning them. I've already had to glue some of the weir teeth back in on the small tank.
honestly.... the only really important question here is .. Has your wife said anything about the new tank? If she is still quiet... I'm concerned for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
honestly.... the only really important question here is .. Has your wife said anything about the new tank? If she is still quiet... I'm concerned for you.
When I lit it. She commented... said where'd the new tank come from?
I said its always been here.
she said not 3 tanks.
I said ok, I'll get rid of one.
I didn't say when though!

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I told her it was my garden of beautiful flowers for her.
she told me to shut up
then my son came in hearing an opportunity to negotiate and said technically its only one aquarium system so it should all be ok to stay.
which is odd because typically he is against the aquarium because it takes attention away from him...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back