San Francisco brine shrimp

Leo_ian

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2020
Messages
232
Reaction score
132
Location
singapore,singapore
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to brineshrimpdirect SF strains of brine shrimp, they are smaller? Like the size of rotifers, could I use them as a first food because I have no luck with rotifers :3

C23D6EBE-C004-4948-8F72-8EC6CC31D72E.jpeg
 
yes that chart is about right ..SFB shrimp are a lil smaller than GSL shrimp ...
still I thought they were 2x bigger than rotifers...
Weird you re having issues with rotifers, heck I quit raising them as they can get everywhere and screw up phyto cultures if not careful
 
yes that chart is about right ..SFB shrimp are a lil smaller than GSL shrimp ...
still I thought they were 2x bigger than rotifers...
Weird you re having issues with rotifers, heck I quit raising them as they can get everywhere and screw up phyto cultures if not careful
Mine just constantly crash
 
you using live phyto and splitting the cultures in time?
Heck anyone raising live phyto will tell ya rotifers area pain to control.
FWIW I have reasonable success with tigger pods in BBS tanks
I use bottled phyto but started with live phyto for them
 
They are smaller, but most marine species don’t do particularly well on brine shrimp alone. They lack a lot of essential fatty acids and typically leads to what is known as sudden fright syndrome. They die of shock easily. The typical recommendation is to gut load them to improve the HUFA profile.

Jen over at Colchester Pets was able to raise some peppermint shrimp to adulthood on brine shrimp alone, though the survival rate wasn’t great, but it is an amazing start.

Copepod nauplii and ciliates (and a yet undetermined source that is filling in the gaps) are more nutritious for the larvae. They avoid the explicit need to gut load while providing a better balanced diet. First foods has been the biggest hurdle to being able to successfully breed at home without it being extremely labor and resource intensive seeing as we don’t typically have access to the same resources as the labs just due to differences in scale and how that effects overall cost.
 
They are smaller, but most marine species don’t do particularly well on brine shrimp alone. They lack a lot of essential fatty acids and typically leads to what is known as sudden fright syndrome. They die of shock easily. The typical recommendation is to gut load them to improve the HUFA profile.

Jen over at Colchester Pets was able to raise some peppermint shrimp to adulthood on brine shrimp alone, though the survival rate wasn’t great, but it is an amazing start.

Copepod nauplii and ciliates (and a yet undetermined source that is filling in the gaps) are more nutritious for the larvae. They avoid the explicit need to gut load while providing a better balanced diet. First foods has been the biggest hurdle to being able to successfully breed at home without it being extremely labor and resource intensive seeing as we don’t typically have access to the same resources as the labs just due to differences in scale and how that effects overall cost.
Yea I will also be feeding parvacalanus copepods
why can’t I spell
 
Yea I will also be feeding parvacalanus copepods
why can’t I spell
Awesome!
Parvo seems to be one of the critical species for aquaculture. I keep contemolating artemia as a backup emergency food source. I’d be interested in seeing data on the energy profile and size differences between hatchable decapsulated San Francisco and the standard eggs.

You aren’t far off. The second a is an o (too much time reading and searching for research papers that I don’t have access to. I need this pandemic over so I can get into the university library again). Parvocalanus.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 28.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new