Sand cleaners

  • Thread starter Thread starter geko522
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

geko522

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 9, 2024
Messages
139
Reaction score
49
Location
Boynton Beach
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120g 60x18x25 aquarium that is 9ish months old. I'm looking for ideas of what to get to help clean the sand. I've got a Diamond watchman goby and a few star fish
(not sure if sand sifter)

What else can I add to clean the sand? The Diamond watchman goby seems to just want to stay in one area. Should I get two? Thanks for the help!
 
Sand sifting starfish are brown and can bury themselves in sand. If you have colorful starfish those are definitely not it. Brittle stars look somewhat similar except their arms are long and their oral disk is small. Look up a picture of a sand sifting starfish.

As for the sand, you can try conchs and nassarius snails.
 
Sand sifting starfish are brown and can bury themselves in sand. If you have colorful starfish those are definitely not it. Brittle stars look somewhat similar except their arms are long and their oral disk is small. Look up a picture of a sand sifting starfish.

As for the sand, you can try conchs and nassarius snails.
Thank you, I appreciate your help! The stars I have bury themselves and they are on the lighter side of brown. But I'm going to do a search now for them. Thanks again!
 
Outside of snails, a tiger conch will clean up and turn over the sand.
 
Tiger tail cucumbers are super great for cleaning sand!!! I had one for a while, it was super cool! And my sand was super clean! Just make sure to cover up and filter intakes.
 
You have a diamond watchman goby which is one of the most prolific lovers of sand. Too bad it doesn't move around much! I have a blue dot goby which is a smaller fish and it does a decent job of moving around to the various areas in the tank and deep not make a mess since it sifts while staying close to the sand. Whether you can add a second sand sitting goby or not, I am not sure. If I were you and had a watchman that stayed in one area k would give it a shot and plan to return the one of them if it didn't work out.

I also have 4 fighting conch and a few nasarius snails. The conch definitely move the sound around a bit, the nasarius don't seem to make a noticeable difference but I assume they are doing what they can.

One thing you should also consider is to increase the flow in your tank. With high enough flow, most detritus should stay suspended in the water column to be filtered out in your sump.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new