sand

nano_reefr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, I used bleach for sand and added half a liter of bleach to 6 liters of water. My bleach is 5% chlorine, sodium hydroxide, and sodium hypochlorite. Is it appropriate for how long the sand should lie there to be cleaned?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there an issue to begin with? At that concentration everything died immediately.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse thoroughly and let dry for a few days to make sure bleach is gone. I never did that when starting out though.

OP
OP
nano_reefr

nano_reefr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse thoroughly and let dry for a few days to make sure bleach is gone. I never did that when starting out though.
I do the same thing, I wash several times with ro/di water and after that I use anti-chlorine and dry the sand completely until the smell is completely removed, I hope this works.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing, I wash several times with ro/di water and after that I use anti-chlorine and dry the sand completely until the smell is completely removed, I hope this works.:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Misread. I do not use your method. I just rinsed and added. No bleach.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, I used bleach for sand and added half a liter of bleach to 6 liters of water. My bleach is 5% chlorine, sodium hydroxide, and sodium hypochlorite. Is it appropriate for how long the sand should lie there to be cleaned?
1 hours, then rinse with many liters of tap water, final rinse with DI and let it dry. If you remove the cloudy fines, If present during the tap water rinse your tank and sand will sparkle instead of Haboob-like cloudiness.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you putting in this tank?

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your bleaching approach seems extreme. Who told you to do that? Bleach is known for its ability to kill all life. People pay a lot for sand and rocks that are loaded with bacteria and other creatures. Sterile means more time to build the essential environment of bacteria that will feed your tank. Please don’t take this the wrong way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back