Is this bleach safe?

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently the only bleach I can find is describing itself as, "low splash". When I use this to sterilize supplies, primarily phyto culture vessels, I'm getting a lot of suds. The ingredients list includes sodium HYDROXIDE in addition to the expected sodium hypochlorite. I normally avoid rinsing and risking recontamination so I let it air dry and then rinse with a small amt of alcohol. Is this sudsy stuff an issue?

IMG_2524.jpeg IMG_2534.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never knew there were different kinds of bleach lol. Is there a reason you don’t want to use vinegar? I’ve ruined a few t-shirts with bleach splashes lol

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read on here "splash-less" is not good to use.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splash-less bleach is not concentrated enough to sanitize. AS you may notice on the labels it does not state the typical benefits of regular bleach.

Sodium Hydroxide is added to slow the decomposition of the bleach.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splash-less bleach is not concentrated enough to sanitize. AS you may notice on the labels it does not state the typical benefits of regular bleach.

Sodium Hydroxide is added to slow the decomposition of the bleach.
So the linked one doesn't appear to contain sodium hydroxide. Is this what your recommending? For some reason my grocery store is having supply issues obtaining regular sodium hypochlorite bleach.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the linked one doesn't appear to contain sodium hydroxide. Is this what your recommending? For some reason my grocery store is having supply issues obtaining regular sodium hypochlorite bleach.

My point is that you are not sterilizing anything with splash-less bleach with a sodium hypochlorite solution of 1-5%.

You should use regular bleach with a sodium hypochlorite concentration of about 7.5%.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should clearly read the label of your splash-less bleach to ensure that it has disinfecting and sterilizing abilities. By the looks of the front labels there is no indication that you are able to effectively sanitize with it aside from brightening your whites.

therootcause

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Splashless bleach contains viscosity increasing agents that have sometimes caused serious tank issues. I’d avoid it.

"By adding the ingredients needed to achieve the higher viscosity for its Splash-Less formula, Clorox altered the concentration of sodium hypochlorite to a variable 1%-5%. According to the Clorox website, the company's regular bleach, absent the sudsing agent, has a sodium hypochlorite concentration between 5% and 6.5%." -USA Today

This information is June 2020 Pandemic controversy surrounding the concentration of Sodium Hypochlorite concentrations in Bleach.

Additionally, the article has a caveat that states: "Editor’s note: In January 2021, Clorox updated the formula of its Splash-Less Bleach, which is now a disinfectant registered with the EPA. The formula in use at the time this story published was not a disinfectant registered for use against germs and bacteria."
USA Today Article - June 2020

I would avoid the splash less bleach for anything other than washing your socks.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"By adding the ingredients needed to achieve the higher viscosity for its Splash-Less formula, Clorox altered the concentration of sodium hypochlorite to a variable 1%-5%. According to the Clorox website, the company's regular bleach, absent the sudsing agent, has a sodium hypochlorite concentration between 5% and 6.5%." -USA Today

This information is June 2020 Pandemic controversy surrounding the concentration of Sodium Hypochlorite concentrations in Bleach.

Additionally, the article has a caveat that states: "Editor’s note: In January 2021, Clorox updated the formula of its Splash-Less Bleach, which is now a disinfectant registered with the EPA. The formula in use at the time this story published was not a disinfectant registered for use against germs and bacteria."
USA Today Article - June 2020

I would avoid the splash less bleach for anything other than washing your socks.
*Probably not filter socks either ;)

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For years, I used the splash-less variety for filter socks, but I always do a double rinse. HOWEVER, after I read about possible issues, I have only used regular bleach.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Recently the only bleach I can find is describing itself as, "low splash". When I use this to sterilize supplies, primarily phyto culture vessels, I'm getting a lot of suds. The ingredients list includes sodium HYDROXIDE in addition to the expected sodium hypochlorite. I normally avoid rinsing and risking recontamination so I let it air dry and then rinse with a small amt of alcohol. Is this sudsy stuff an issue?

IMG_2524.jpeg IMG_2534.jpeg
Use regular household from grocery or dollar store. Since covid, low splash has become more available and is intended to prevent staining from splashing and protection of clothing during use

shootingstar_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they make it splashless by adding a detergent, which even in small amounts can be very bad. I unfortunately learned the hard way :(

I moved to sodium percarbonate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back