Sarcophyton closed for over 2 months

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says.
I had it for about 3 months and it shed 2 or 3 times. Then the last time it closed it never opened.
Its still alive I think but what could be the problem?
Before and after below:
A01D3881-D254-46CE-A38F-DD58B0ED1D4A.jpeg
26D50D92-D37A-43D6-BA6B-15A33EBC02CD.jpeg
F1D509D4-4F08-4AC4-A1D6-A6D7E4C586F4.jpeg
FF7811D7-027E-4AE7-B4FF-68493F0EAED1.jpeg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but that looks really bad. What makes you think it's still alive?

To be able to tell you anything, we need a full set of test results. And has anything changed over the 3 months you've had it (lights, flow, inhabitants, etc.)?

OP
OP
Darsh

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but that looks really bad. What makes you think it's still alive?

To be able to tell you anything, we need a full set of test results. And has anything changed over the 3 months you've had it (lights, flow, inhabitants, etc.)?
I think its still alive because sometimes I see the little green polyps under the part of skin that doesnt have algae.
Also, wouldnt it melt or decompose if it were dead?
Results taken on Sunday with Salifert or Aquaforest:
Sg 1.026
Alk 8,4
Cal 455
Mag 1320
Nitrate 15
Phosphate 0.1
pH 7,8

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers look good. I see you have the coral sitting on the bottom, with little space beneath it. That shouldn't be a problem in and of itself, but it makes me wonder if it's getting enough flow. When leather corals shed, they need some flow to help clear away the dead outer skin. That yours has algae growing on it also leads me to believe it's not getting enough flow to keep it clear. I've never experienced algae growing on any of my leathers, and I've had GHA overrun and kill a number of other corals before I got it under control.

Unless someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I'd advise slowly increasing the flow to it. Turn up or reaim a powerhead to get a little more water moving over it, then leave it alone for a week or so to see how it reacts. Slow, incremental changes are best.

You can place an airstone behind your powerhead temporarily and let the bubbles help you see where the flow is going in your tank. I find this so useful that I actually installed one permanently under the intake to my return pump so that I can create bubbles any time I want just by opening a valve. A limewood airstone works best because it creates microbubbles.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a good wipe down. Use a paper towel / turkey baster. Do it in a bucket or something outside of the tank just in case it is dead. I don't think it is, and I have had some close up for long long periods of time but it does look pretty rough. Sometimes though they just need a helping hand shedding.

gamerunr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the full wipe down, get all the algae and build up off it and increase the flow if possible. Just went through something very similar. I moved a Tyree toadstool leather off my frag rack (high light and high flow) and placed it at the bottom of my tank. It closed up looking similar to yours, shriveled up and folded over on itself. I removed it from the tank and used my thumb to aggressively remove the algae and other crud off it while dipping/rinsing it frequently in a separate container of fresh tank water. I returned it to my frag rack and within about a week it perked right back up and looks like it never left my frag rack, I have several large Sarcophytons in my tanks and they seem to be a matural trap for detritus. Even though I have a lot of flow in my tanks I still have to blow off their heads daily to keep this detritus off them and they remain quite happy.

OP
OP
Darsh

Darsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers look good. I see you have the coral sitting on the bottom, with little space beneath it. That shouldn't be a problem in and of itself, but it makes me wonder if it's getting enough flow. When leather corals shed, they need some flow to help clear away the dead outer skin. That yours has algae growing on it also leads me to believe it's not getting enough flow to keep it clear. I've never experienced algae growing on any of my leathers, and I've had GHA overrun and kill a number of other corals before I got it under control.

Unless someone more knowledgeable chimes in, I'd advise slowly increasing the flow to it. Turn up or reaim a powerhead to get a little more water moving over it, then leave it alone for a week or so to see how it reacts. Slow, incremental changes are best.

You can place an airstone behind your powerhead temporarily and let the bubbles help you see where the flow is going in your tank. I find this so useful that I actually installed one permanently under the intake to my return pump so that I can create bubbles any time I want just by opening a valve. A limewood airstone works best because it creates microbubbles.
Good tip thanks, the flow is very strong in my tank but after it was closed about 3 weeks I moved it into the highest flow area for about 2 weeks and nothing changed, then I gave it a quick clean and put it back where it was.
Give it a good wipe down. Use a paper towel / turkey baster. Do it in a bucket or something outside of the tank just in case it is dead. I don't think it is, and I have had some close up for long long periods of time but it does look pretty rough. Sometimes though they just need a helping hand shedding.

I agree with the full wipe down, get all the algae and build up off it and increase the flow if possible. Just went through something very similar. I moved a Tyree toadstool leather off my frag rack (high light and high flow) and placed it at the bottom of my tank. It closed up looking similar to yours, shriveled up and folded over on itself. I removed it from the tank and used my thumb to aggressively remove the algae and other crud off it while dipping/rinsing it frequently in a separate container of fresh tank water. I returned it to my frag rack and within about a week it perked right back up and looks like it never left my frag rack, I have several large Sarcophytons in my tanks and they seem to be a matural trap for detritus. Even though I have a lot of flow in my tanks I still have to blow off their heads daily to keep this detritus off them and they remain quite happy.

Can try to wipe it down and do a diluted peroxide dip on it if the algae won’t come off.
Okay thanks everyone! It's good to hear this as even though I gave it a quick clean I thought I could be doing the wrong thing as everywhere I read just says leave it alone, don't touch it, it'll be fine haha!
Well enough is enough, I'm gonna clean it up properly later and maybe use some peroxide too.
Thanks, I'll post in about a week and let ye know what happens :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back