Sargassum refugium?

Lillmoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever try to make refugium using sargassum since it’s so readily available on the beach? What should I treat with to avoid the hitchhikers and icky stuff? I was planning on using paraguard by Seachem for a couple of weeks and letting it grow in a tub before introducing it to the system. Anyone have any better ideas or success stories using this plant?
I also noticed there’s a couple variable sargassum species which I picked up. Are there any better versions that are preferable over others?

image.jpg

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm not sure I have seen sargassum available commonly as a refugium plant from sellers... usually there is a reason for that?

unsightly? Clearly not
Illegal to harvest or transport? I don’t think so
So that would leave slow growing... is that the case?

Would love to see sargassum and mangroves combined in a display refugium!

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmmm would consider doing some research on it... outbreaks in carribean sea resulted in mass die off of the algae, which realeased sulfurous fumes which were foul smelling and associated with asthma exacerbations... the fumes permanently discolored metals and household appliances on the shore black...

OP
OP
Lillmoya

Lillmoya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have tried 4 separate times to bring sargassum back off the beach. I’ve tried my best to pick what I considered a healthy looking plant. All in all? It didn’t work out as planned. It’s quite stinky and I ended up giving up on one batch after another. I’ve tried pumps, ferts, refugium lighting... yeah. I’m all about harvesting decor and substrate from the beach, but I’m gonna leave this plant where it washes up in the future. I’m at least glad I tried it and know whether it works.

U

User1

View Badges
It is an interesting algae to try and grow. I only say that as I tried years ago as a by product of it coming in on my live rock from Fiji. Back when we could order it at the source, 1999, I had about 100 lbs of rock and no visible signs of it. Over the course of about a month it started to grow. I couldn't figure out what it was, asked around, and it all came back as sargassum. It was growing so fast and tall in my display that it reminded me a lot like the Kelp forests I dive in Monterey.

Base attaches to a rock, grows long, thing, and reaches for the light. Once at the top it will continue to grow and float. My green chromis used to always hide under it. Neat stuff. I would continue to cut and toss. Only fish I was told that would "possibly" eat it was a Naso Tang. Too big for my 100 gallon at the time so would continue to trim and flush. After about a year it wouldn't grow anymore and faded. I asked around but everyone said pretty much the same. It is going to consume whatever was with the rock and leeching but probably nothing I could feed to keep it.

Pretty much it. Enjoyed the stuff for about a year all said and done.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very fresh sample collected from offshore and I’m going to give it a try. Appreciate all that’s been said above and pretty sure the Pacific and Atlantic isolates are fundamentally different. Will update overtime

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so the comment above, I am currently in Belize on ambergris Caye.
For the fifth year out of the last six there is a phenomenal problem with sargassum. There is no place to put all of the seaweed that is washing up on the shores. I am snorkeling around a pier that I have habited for 25 yearsAnd the water is like a weak tea.
It’s a common knee-jerk reaction to blame everything on global warming but it’s hard not to with increased hurricanes in the southern Caribbean and increased surface temperatures.

I’ve been out to the barrier reef and there’s no sign of impact and the turtle grass ensure appears to be robust and healthy, but not sure where these poor folks are going to put the piles of rotting vegetation

Love this island country and its locals and will continue to support their efforts in conserving their nature resources such as hol Chan preserve ands hope you can visit their web site and help support them as well - holchanbelize.org - and give a little back to the source of our hobbies bounty

C68B757B-0060-41B5-88E7-FE4AD2CFA59F.jpeg
86E0EEF0-E550-4594-B187-B877D6F2ACD5.jpeg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back