Sauced and Confused (Lost Remix)

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea gyres. A reefwave 45 on the end and two 25's on the back glass.
I’m about to put something together to submit to glasscages- I had a few questions about your overflow:

How long and tall is it? I imaging it’s the width of the tank?

I’m going for about 1000gph of return pump (5x turnover +-). Because I have to drill through granite, cabinets, subfloor, and get down to the basement, I was thinking about doing 2, 2” drains (full siphon+emergency) and a single 1.5” return line (the pump accommodates 1.5” fittings). Do you think I should split that into 2, 1” returns?

Thanks for any help or advice.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about to put something together to submit to glasscages- I had a few questions about your overflow:

How long and tall is it? I imaging it’s the width of the tank?

I’m going for about 1000gph of return pump (5x turnover +-). Because I have to drill through granite, cabinets, subfloor, and get down to the basement, I was thinking about doing 2, 2” drains (full siphon+emergency) and a single 1.5” return line (the pump accommodates 1.5” fittings). Do you think I should split that into 2, 1” returns?

Thanks for any help or advice.
My overflow is coast to coast on the short end, so 30" wide. I believe 8-10" depth is standard. I ordered the overflow at 12" deep to allow me to run higher turnover.

Single 1.5" return will be plenty for your desired flow.

I personally like running a bean animal (single standpipe, full siphon, emergency) but at 1000 gph, with that far of a drop in elevation, that would be overkill on your application.

With a full siphon at 1.5" and a Gate valve on it, you'll be able to run Way over 1000 gph so I see no issue, so long as your emergency is also 1.5".

I would not try to push 1000 gph through 1" plumbing as a herbie. At a full siphon, 1" will pull between 900 and 1100 gph before factoring in 90's to the line. That is cutting it too close imo.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow is coast to coast on the short end, so 30" wide. I believe 8-10" depth is standard. I ordered the overflow at 12" deep to allow me to run higher turnover.

Single 1.5" return will be plenty for your desired flow.

I personally like running a bean animal (single standpipe, full siphon, emergency) but at 1000 gph, with that far of a drop in elevation, that would be overkill on your application.

With a full siphon at 1.5" and a Gate valve on it, you'll be able to run Way over 1000 gph so I see no issue, so long as your emergency is also 1.5".

I would not try to push 1000 gph through 1" plumbing as a herbie. At a full siphon, 1" will pull between 900 and 1100 gph before factoring in 90's to the line. That is cutting it too close imo.
I was thinking about 2, 2” drains. You think I’m ok with 2, 1.5” drains then? Less pipes means smaller holes = happier wife ;). Having 3, 1.5” bulkheads makes plumbing easier too.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about 2, 2” drains. You think I’m ok with 2, 1.5” drains then? Less pipes means smaller holes = happier wife ;). Having 3, 1.5” bulkheads makes plumbing easier too.
One, 1.5" Schedule 40 pipe will pull about 2100 gph under a full siphon at 12'.

That's over double what you are shooting for.

I think 2" is overkill for a target of 1000 gph. Everything is a lot more expensive, the bigger you go. I don't see the benefit of 2" here

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 1.5" drains is around 1400 gph with 0 pressure, as some pressure due to head and you will be a bit over that.

If it was me, I would run a 1.5" main and then emergency.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Sunday Kids.

PXL_20230109_011520507.MP.jpg
PXL_20230109_011626031.MP.jpg
PXL_20230109_012540918.jpg
PXL_20230109_011306145.MP.jpg
You are one patient and determined fellow. I hope this is the end of your struggles and things start to turn in a more favorable direction. How/what do you think triggered this last bit of bs?

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are one patient and determined fellow. I hope this is the end of your struggles and things start to turn in a more favorable direction. How/what do you think triggered this last bit of bs?
Oi.. I would say my idiot self is to blame by not learning from my mistakes.

The entire system was fallow for over 3 months so it was not latent.

I QT'd all of the surviving fish and they lived for 8 weeks after in a cramped 120 with no copper and showed no signs of illness.

I Brought in 9 fish from Dr. Reef. Although the first fish to become infected (CBB) was from him, it was over a month after I received it and I Choose to think that batch was clean.

Day prior to building the scape, we didn't have enough live rock. We had a lot of dry, but... That's dry rock. I found some old, live rock from a tank tear down, for cheap. Talked to the guy, the tank was in a dental office that moved locations and they no longer wanted to pay to have the tank maintained. It was FOWLR with "a bunch of angelfish" and had been down for two weeks. The rock was in a tub with heat and flow.

I asked the right questions. Seller gave the right answers. (Never had ick, velvet,brook, flatworms) I made the call to use the new (to me) rock in the build without quarantine.

I believe this ick ( which was WAY more aggressive than any crypto I've ever seen before) came in with that rock.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I QT'd all of the surviving fish and they lived for 8 weeks after in a cramped 120 with no copper and showed no signs of illness.

I Brought in 9 fish from Dr. Reef. Although the first fish to become infected (CBB) was from him, it was over a month after I received it and I Choose to think that batch was clean.

Day prior to building the scape, we didn't have enough live rock. We had a lot of dry, but... That's dry rock. I found some old, live rock from a tank tear down, for cheap. Talked to the guy, the tank was in a dental office that moved locations and they no longer wanted to pay to have the tank maintained. It was FOWLR with "a bunch of angelfish" and had been down for two weeks. The rock was in a tub with heat and flow.

I asked the right questions. Seller gave the right answers. (Never had ick, velvet,brook, flatworms) I made the call to use the new (to me) rock in the build without quarantine.

I believe this ick ( which was WAY more aggressive than any crypto I've ever seen before) came in with that rock.
I would add to this that your existing fish might have had a better immunity, as they had been through QT a while ago and probably had recovered from that and were well fed. The newer fish just came out of QT and dint have as long of a time after QT to get the copper affects worked through and had time to get "fat and happy".

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well at least you know. We all make decisions. I would have blamed @F i s h y and his grubby little hands for bringing it in. You know Indiana pests are known to be quite resilient. Hope it ends well and you don't have anymore issues.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do blame him. As soon as I said I was going to use that rock, the homie thing to do would have been to punch me square in the throat.
Well at least you know. We all make decisions. I would have blamed @F i s h y and his grubby little hands for bringing it in. You know Indiana pests are known to be quite resilient. Hope it ends well and you don't have anymore issues.
There definitely will be more issues. Luckily I'm a better firefighter than reefer since I spend so much time dealing with dumpster fires of my own making.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe and I talked so often pre build starting I got to know his afternoon fishing schedule and would just send a "cheers" with a delicious frosty beverage pic.

Joe is a Cronie and I'm a card carrying fanboy.

Even if I didn't know him personally, their work speaks for itself enough to warrant a conversation prior to any tank being commissioned with any company IMO.
I feel so honored!

"The Cronie Card" is that really a thing. I deff want one.

I am truly humbled by the support. The team and I are just doing the best we can and supporting the way we would want to be supported. We've got your back!

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel so honored!

"The Cronie Card" is that really a thing. I deff want one.

I am truly humbled by the support. The team and I are just doing the best we can and supporting the way we would want to be supported. We've got your back!
The "Cronies card", gives you (among other perks) unlimited usage of the phase "dang kids get off my lawn". I have heard there is also a secret hand shake for the upper levels and initiation involves a banana (in a good way).

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "Cronies card", gives you (among other perks) unlimited usage of the phase "dang kids get off my lawn". I have heard there is also a secret hand shake for the upper levels and initiation involves a banana (in a good way).
Let me tell you, I use the phrase constantly

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a bad way to involve bananas? Outside ketchup that is...

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
restricted video cuz i'm at work.
can just imaging the IT folks...
"yeah Schmitty got another silver star for the week... what kinda forums is this guy going to?..."

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back