Sauced and Confused (Lost Remix)

tcarstens4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in other news our tiki room is slowly coming together got a table and chairs and a couple big butt plants to put in the room
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well in other news our tiki room is slowly coming together got a table and chairs and a couple big butt plants to put in the room
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Who's build thread is this anyway??
Lol, just kidding. Cool theme!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you get her ??

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Only took 4 hours and destroying what good parts were left of the scape.
Good you got her! I guess you have a few weeks now to play around with your aquascape again.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was looking for build ideas and it has to be kismet that I found this build!

Our 120g IM Nuvo sprang a leak last weekend. I literally drew your tank on graph paper and sent it to our local builder yesterday and today I stumble upon your tank. It looks the exact same.

My wife and I have concerns about the overflow leaking or falling off. Do you have any concerns? I like the idea of being able to see all the plumbing and have it be easy to work on but it looks like another failure point (and we’re suffering some PTSD over getting a water alarm at 10pm and spending 3 hours emptying a tank).

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I was looking for build ideas and it has to be kismet that I found this build!

Our 120g IM Nuvo sprang a leak last weekend. I literally drew your tank on graph paper and sent it to our local builder yesterday and today I stumble upon your tank. It looks the exact same.

My wife and I have concerns about the overflow leaking or falling off. Do you have any concerns? I like the idea of being able to see all the plumbing and have it be easy to work on but it looks like another failure point (and we’re suffering some PTSD over getting a water alarm at 10pm and spending 3 hours emptying a tank).
Hi, and welcome. I have this tank because a 180 blew out the Bottom glass. I understand tank failure PTSD, believe me.

I have absolutely Zero worry about the overflow box design and integrity for a few reasons.

1) the overflow is just as solidly attached to the glass of the tank, as the glass of the tank is attached to each other.
2) After assembly, scaffolding was built around the overflow to hold it perfectly for a 10-day cure on the silicone.
3) As is best practice, no weight is being carried by the overflow. All of my plumbing is being supported under the tank. Not hanging from the bulkheads
4) it was built by an amazing team at Glass cages in TN who have done quite a few external, all glass overflows.

I would Not be as confident in the design if they hadn't built it. That's the truth.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, and welcome. I have this tank because a 180 blew out the Bottom glass. I understand tank failure PTSD, believe me.

I have absolutely Zero worry about the overflow box design and integrity for a few reasons.

1) the overflow is just as solidly attached to the glass of the tank, as the glass of the tank is attached to each other.
2) After assembly, scaffolding was built around the overflow to hold it perfectly for a 10-day cure on the silicone.
3) As is best practice, no weight is being carried by the overflow. All of my plumbing is being supported under the tank. Not hanging from the bulkheads
4) it was built by an amazing team at Glass cages in TN who have done quite a few external, all glass overflows.

I would Not be as confident in the design if they hadn't built it. That's the truth.
Thanks for all that! Thank god ours didn’t blow out, just started leaking. I think I’d just move houses if the tank literally blew out.

I’m in Texas so I am looking at a company called Tex-Mex in Mexico (Mazatlan I think). We also have Planet Aquarium here but they’re difficult as you have to go through a fish shop here and the fish shop can mark up 10-30% depending on what car you drive up in.

The plumbing support thing is a good point and I appreciate it. I had not thought about it before. I have a 10-15’ run straight down and after reading this, I will strap the pipes in the cabinet below and as soon as I can in the basement.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all that! Thank god ours didn’t blow out, just started leaking. I think I’d just move houses if the tank literally blew out.

I’m in Texas so I am looking at a company called Tex-Mex in Mexico (Mazatlan I think). We also have Planet Aquarium here but they’re difficult as you have to go through a fish shop here and the fish shop can mark up 10-30% depending on what car you drive up in.

The plumbing support thing is a good point and I appreciate it. I had not thought about it before. I have a 10-15’ run straight down and after reading this, I will strap the pipes in the cabinet below and as soon as I can in the basement.
You'll Absolutely want your plumbing anchored to the cabinet. That's a lot of weight to add to any overflow.

Do yourself a flavor and call Joe up at glass cages and have him quote the job for you as well. I don't know how he'll stack up against a local builder on price, but you may be surprised.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We also have Planet Aquarium here but they’re difficult as you have to go through a fish shop here and the fish shop can mark up 10-30% depending on what car you drive up in.

This is a bit misleading as Planet is a wholesale business (in the Dallas area) and the "markup" is just the LFS making money as the retailer and to cover shipping (although different LFS's may have different retail prices for the same item).

AGE (Acrylic and Glass Exhibits) is also in the Dallas area - and also works as a wholesaler through local retail stores (primarily Fish Gallery but other stores can order as well).

Being in Texas, a big advantage to these 2 companies is that shipping will be more reasonable (as mentioned, this will be calculated into the sales price from the LFS).

Do yourself a flavor and call Joe up at glass cages and have him quote the job for you as well. I don't know how he'll stack up against a local builder on price, but you may be surprised.
Agree 100% with this. Being in the Houston area myself, I ended up going with Planet for my custom build; the main factor being the extra shipping cost from Glass Cages (in Tennessee).

I spoke with @Joe Glass Cages several times on the phone during my "journey" and he was EXTREMELY generous with his time and answered many questions (which took a bit of patience on his part as a few questions I had were kind of convoluted, lol!)

Had it not been for my particular budget, I would have used GC without hesitation.

(If you do decide to use Planet, PM me for some tips...)

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bit misleading as Planet is a wholesale business (in the Dallas area) and the "markup" is just the LFS making money as the retailer and to cover shipping (although different LFS's may have different retail prices for the same item).

AGE (Acrylic and Glass Exhibits) is also in the Dallas area - and also works as a wholesaler through local retail stores (primarily Fish Gallery but other stores can order as well).

Being in Texas, a big advantage to these 2 companies is that shipping will be more reasonable (as mentioned, this will be calculated into the sales price from the LFS).

Agree 100% with this. Being in the Houston area myself, I ended up going with Planet for my custom build; the main factor being the extra shipping cost from Glass Cages (in Tennessee).

I spoke with @Joe Glass Cages several times on the phone during my "journey" and he was EXTREMELY generous with his time and answered many questions (which took a bit of patience on his part as a few questions I had were kind of convoluted, lol!)

Had it not been for my particular budget, I would have used GC without hesitation.

Joe and I talked so often pre build starting I got to know his afternoon fishing schedule and would just send a "cheers" with a delicious frosty beverage pic.

Joe is a Cronie and I'm a card carrying fanboy.

Even if I didn't know him personally, their work speaks for itself enough to warrant a conversation prior to any tank being commissioned with any company IMO.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the post.

I didn’t mean to insinuate Planet was changing pricing based on what they thought they could get out of me, but a few LFS 100% do this.

I will email glass cages but we will need someone to lift and place the tank and that’s a service that comes with Tex-Mex, or $200+ from the LFS for Planet.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back