Sauced and Confused (Lost Remix)

tcarstens4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say your experience from dr reef was good? We just placed a three fish order from him because we didn’t want to QT wrasses, your thoughts? Where do you get your fish from usually? Our LFS’s are not super reliable when it comes to healthy ish fish, we do have a QT up but I haven’t put a UV on our tanks yet

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you say your experience from dr reef was good? We just placed a three fish order from him because we didn’t want to QT wrasses, your thoughts? Where do you get your fish from usually? Our LFS’s are not super reliable when it comes to healthy ish fish, we do have a QT up but I haven’t put a UV on our tanks yet
I've ordered a bunch from Dr reef and have given honest assessments in the past. I like the service that is provided. I've received a bunch of healthy fish from them.

I can't stand the sloppiness with which the business runs. Poor communication, missed shipping deadlines, shipping the wrong fish are all super commonplace there.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While treating this article from Jay today,https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

I stumbled on this paragraph.

"Clean Up Crew organisms are a frequent source of biosecurity failures. Live invertebrates can of course act as fomites for some fish diseases. A process known as “depuration” can alleviate some of these issues. Depuration is the process by which marine or freshwater animals (or even plants) are placed into a clean water environment for a period of time to allow purging of biological contaminants and physical impurities. They then can be more safely moved into a system with other animals. This process can range from putting some snails in a bucket for fresh seawater for an hour or so before adding them to a tank all the way to holding the invertebrates in a separate system for 45 days."

Which got me thinking and realizing there is another Very viable option for the recent disease outbreak.

When the 180 broke, I lost all but 6 nassarius snails. After about two weeks of having the new tank up, I grabbed 6 large nassarius, 4 trocus snails and about 2 dozen dwarf cerith snails as well as two sifting stars. This would have been ~3-5 weeks before the infection Took Off.

I know the shop I got them from, and I would never, in my Life take a fish out of their system and put it into mine without a full disease work up. This is because they run a high quantity turnover ( about 25 boxes of SW fish a week) and have Dirty tanks because they Mirror the supply line.

I've never given any real thought to inverts being "a frequent source of biosecurity failure" as Jay put it.

Something to think about.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it wasn't @F i s h y fault after all. I knew it. Yeah i have read that ick can pretty much tag along with anything, even if it's just a temporary thing.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it wasn't @F i s h y fault after all. I knew it. Yeah i have read that ick can pretty much tag along with anything, even if it's just a temporary thing.
Indeterminate so we shall continue to blame him for no throat punch.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While treating this article from Jay today,https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/biosecurity.812/

I stumbled on this paragraph.

"Clean Up Crew organisms are a frequent source of biosecurity failures. Live invertebrates can of course act as fomites for some fish diseases. A process known as “depuration” can alleviate some of these issues. Depuration is the process by which marine or freshwater animals (or even plants) are placed into a clean water environment for a period of time to allow purging of biological contaminants and physical impurities. They then can be more safely moved into a system with other animals. This process can range from putting some snails in a bucket for fresh seawater for an hour or so before adding them to a tank all the way to holding the invertebrates in a separate system for 45 days."

Which got me thinking and realizing there is another Very viable option for the recent disease outbreak.

When the 180 broke, I lost all but 6 nassarius snails. After about two weeks of having the new tank up, I grabbed 6 large nassarius, 4 trocus snails and about 2 dozen dwarf cerith snails as well as two sifting stars. This would have been ~3-5 weeks before the infection Took Off.

I know the shop I got them from, and I would never, in my Life take a fish out of their system and put it into mine without a full disease work up. This is because they run a high quantity turnover ( about 25 boxes of SW fish a week) and have Dirty tanks because they Mirror the supply line.

I've never given any real thought to inverts being "a frequent source of biosecurity failure" as Jay put it.

Something to think about.
This is why I have my evo as an invert only tank. Nothing goes in the cube that hasn't sat in the evo for at least 45 days. I read so many posts from people in our threads that talk about the unlikelihood for an invert causing a disease outbreak. I start to question myself and consider just saying F it. like most people. However, for some reason I am OCD about following rules I set for myself (except when Im trying not to drink as much HA). I'm so risk adverse that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it.
I think a big piece of the puzzle is the source of the inverts as well, which you acknowledged in your post. I have read a post from Jay that says if he purchases inverts from reef cleaners, he will just give them a quick rinse for free floaters and then in they go. The only place I have purchased inverts from so far is Modern and although he says his inverts are held in a fishless system, he admits that he cant guarantee his source does that. He also has high turnover, so in the evo they go.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I have my evo as an invert only tank. Nothing goes in the cube that hasn't sat in the evo for at least 45 days. I read so many posts from people in our threads that talk about the unlikelihood for an invert causing a disease outbreak. I start to question myself and consider just saying F it. like most people. However, for some reason I am OCD about following rules I set for myself (except when Im trying not to drink as much HA). I'm so risk adverse that I haven't been able to bring myself to do it.
I think a big piece of the puzzle is the source of the inverts as well, which you acknowledged in your post. I have read a post from Jay that says if he purchases inverts from reef cleaners, he will just give them a quick rinse for free floaters and then in they go. The only place I have purchased inverts from so far is Modern and although he says his inverts are held in a fishless system, he admits that he cant guarantee his source does that. He also has high turnover, so in the evo they go.
I can essentially guarantee everyone. I will not be putting all inverts and coral through a fully fishless tank hold.

I'll probably do something different but I don't know exactly what that is. Even a water to water to water transfer with inverts would be fine with me.

Your ocd on this matter is protection. For me personally, I know I hate maintaining more than two or three total systems so an additional setup sounds terrible to me.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can essentially guarantee everyone. I will not be putting all inverts and coral through a fully fishless tank hold.

I'll probably do something different but I don't know exactly what that is. Even a water to water to water transfer with inverts would be fine with me.

Your ocd on this matter is protection. For me personally, I know I hate maintaining more than two or three total systems so an additional setup sounds terrible to me.
If I had pulled the trigger the 200 gal tank I was eyeing yesterday I would probably end up having the same attitude about maintaining two systems. Right now both my tanks are small so it isnt that big of a deal, but they also don't let me run any kind of substantial UV that a larger tank would be able to do. I'll get there one day. ;)

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had pulled the trigger the 200 gal tank I was eyeing yesterday I would probably end up having the same attitude about maintaining two systems. Right now both my tanks are small so it isnt that big of a deal, but they also don't let me run any kind of substantial UV that a larger tank would be able to do. I'll get there one day. ;)
200?? That's a good size... I don't mind dealing with the larger systems. Once I get down to 40- 20g, I'm getting cranky.

I forgot who it was that just came out with the hob UV unit powered with a small external pump. I'm going to grab one for my QT.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200?? That's a good size... I don't mind dealing with the larger systems. Once I get down to 40- 20g, I'm getting cranky.

I forgot who it was that just came out with the hob UV unit powered with a small external pump. I'm going to grab one for my QT.
Yes it was probably the deal of a lifetime and I didn't have the cojones to pull the trigger. Its was the kind of deal, you come across where you don't have much time to think about it, before it is gone. Many factors played out in my mind. In the end one of the main ones was the footprint. The only options in my home for that size would be places I could not really sit and enjoy the tank, which is the main purpose of having a tank right?! I would say my dream tank would be somewhere in between that size maybe like a 120 ish. But I'll probably go a 75ish next before that kind of leap. Im still kicking myself today for saying I'd pass on it, but also relieved at the same time, if that makes sense? :). The fact that I got my husband on board though was a shock. I was fully prepared to rely on his no, as I reason to walk away. His only stipulation was that I had to get rid of the cube if I purchased it. At least now I know where he stands and can see an upgrade in my future at some point.

Let me know how the HOB UV works if you end up getting one :)

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All caught up
Happy Lets Go GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it was probably the deal of a lifetime and I didn't have the cojones to pull the trigger. Its was the kind of deal, you come across where you don't have much time to think about it, before it is gone. Many factors played out in my mind. In the end one of the main ones was the footprint. The only options in my home for that size would be places I could not really sit and enjoy the tank, which is the main purpose of having a tank right?! I would say my dream tank would be somewhere in between that size maybe like a 120 ish. But I'll probably go a 75ish next before that kind of leap. Im still kicking myself today for saying I'd pass on it, but also relieved at the same time, if that makes sense? :). The fact that I got my husband on board though was a shock. I was fully prepared to rely on his no, as I reason to walk away. His only stipulation was that I had to get rid of the cube if I purchased it. At least now I know where he stands and can see an upgrade in my future at some point.

Let me know how the HOB UV works if you end up getting one :)
My unsolicited opinion is to skip the 75. You're going have to get all the equipment for a 75-120 class, which doesn't really translate to 120+. So you end up buying twice . Moving to a sump will be the big jump for you I think. That's the same jump moving to a 75, or a 180. The price difference is negligible when setting them up against each other. Go for what you want now. Tank transfers kind of suck.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can confirm.
They can be fun, don't get me wrong, but there is a definite stress element to it.

After doing it a few times, having the right tools on hand and having the order down, they can be pretty systematic. There's always a bunch of things that come and throw a wrench in the gears

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My unsolicited opinion is to skip the 75. You're going have to get all the equipment for a 75-120 class, which doesn't really translate to 120+. So you end up buying twice . Moving to a sump will be the big jump for you I think. That's the same jump moving to a 75, or a 180. The price difference is negligible when setting them up against each other. Go for what you want now. Tank transfers kind of suck.
Thanks for the insight.. makes sense. :smiling-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can be fun, don't get me wrong, but there is a definite stress element to it.

After doing it a few times, having the right tools on hand and having the order down, they can be pretty systematic. There's always a bunch of things that come and throw a wrench in the gears
Like my dumb self not setting up a tank to hold the coral while I got the livestock and sand out. They weren't fans of that and it's the reason I now have a broken pectinia.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like my dumb self not setting up a tank to hold the coral while I got the livestock and sand out. They weren't fans of that and it's the reason I now have a broken pectinia.
That is one thing to do for sure. Have a staging area for the coral and fish!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back