Say you suddenly died, what would happen to your Reef Tank?

Say you suddenly died, what would happen to your Reef Tank?

• Total voters

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one in my family has a clue about what goes into maintaining my system. My only hope will be that my wife can find someone who takes it before it dies.

Sonor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already talked to my favorite LFS. I told the owner he could have all of my reef system, critters and all equipment, if they would just remove it all from my residence. That way my wife wouldn't have to deal with it. So my wife has their number and all would be good.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just me and dog, tank would be DOOMED. No one in my family would have a clue of how to take care of or how to get rid of it. Guess I better come up with a plan for it.

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer I'm living through this very scenario. My wife has zero interest in the hobby. I've got three 150 gallon tanks with a fish room stocked with all high end equipment. Not to mention the inhabitants of all these tanks. People want to buy this or that from you but that really doesn't take care of the total problem of liquidating. I'm also really not interested in tearing apart my hobby prior to my passing as I really enjoy my tanks. So, what I've done is made an agreement that my wife will call my LFS who I have already talked with and have them come in and liquidate my entire setup. Its going to be tough job requiring multiple days. They agreed to do the work at no cost for all the equipment. That sounded good to me, everybody wins. My wife is happy the power bill gets cut in half and LFS is happy with all the quality equipment they can sell.
Live life and enjoy as much as you can. I really hope that diagnosis is wrong.

mndivergirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've talked about it. My husband would contact my great reefing friend and give her whatever she wants to take. Then the reef club could divie up the rest of the critters. He would then sell the tank and other equipment.

U

User1

View Badges
Interesting thread but here is it in a nutshell. If you haven't already done so by now I would encourage you to sit down with your partner or person you trust plus a backup and let them know where to find important information like item worth, basic instructions, financial, retirement(s), employer present, future, or retired (especially if military). I was on a plane half way around the world when all of a sudden I was like "Holy Crap" I didn't tell my wing man I was leaving the US, heading to a faraway land for work, and in case of an emergency contact my wife to assist with military stuff (I'm retired but not drawing retirement if that makes sense).

You lose track in our day to day lives and things like what to do with a tank or how much stuff costs (yellow tang vs say a Gem tang if you own one). You don't want them to get taken of in a time of grief nor do you want stuff like that being killed due to other priorities. Baseball cards, coins, stamps, you name it. People make a mint hitting up estate sales is my point. Don't let your loved ones get burnt because we don't take the time to make some documents that are backed up and shoved in a fire proof lock box.

I'm just has guilty - trust me. It was not until recently that I started to look at this. I was with one company, they split, I was moved to the new company has part of the split, and we basically lay people off every Thursday...knowing my time may be near I started to talk to a financial person and her first bit of advice regardless if I used her or not was to get my stuff together and let a couple know where it is. Sure my wife would know to contact employer and HR, but what about military retirement, what about this, that, and then the tank...even though it is still maturing and in progress I don't think she would know what I paid for X, Y, and Z...no more than I would know how much her bottle(s) of wine cost :)

SanClementeEric

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family would give it to one of my reef pals, already on emergency reef call, 'cause they would know what to do!

squampton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I imagine the tank would be neglected rather quickly if I suddenly died. My wife's priority would not be the tank, and the auto top off has a few days, but once it emptied, things would start going down hill most likely. I have asked her to call a maintenance company if the event I die, but I can't say for sure she would as well again the tank would not likely be first thing on her mind if I was suddenly dead without warning.

If I became ill and had some time before my death, I would try and arrange to have the fish and corals sold, and tank torn down.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back