• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Sayonora Radion!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is going to be a bit of a rant. I've always been a fan of Ecotech and its innovation. I can't imagine not having my MP40s. I was an early adopter when they introduced Radion. I've been running my Gen 1's up until a month or so ago when I broke down my tank for a rebuild. One of the big selling points was modularity and upgradability they pushed.
But, after speaking with them yesterday and finding out they don't have parts to update Gen 1's to Gen 3 Pro anymore, I realized that anything below a Gen 5 is essentially a lame-duck fixture. Even if you own a Gen 4 Pro, once the parts are gone your fixture will be useless at some point if it needs to be repaired because they are not making parts for it. At least that is the way I understood what I was being told. I'm not a fan of this type of built in obsolescence as I think it contributes to a 'throw-away' culture. Reminds me of the cell phone industry and everyone getting suckered into the latest and greatest hype. Ecotech did offer me a 40% discount on 2 Gen 5's, but that is not something my budget supports. I also don't want to find myself in the same spot 5+ years down the line when they decide to change the design again. If you are going to drop almost $2K on a lighting fixture(s), it ought to last a very long time. Just my opinion. I think this is where LED fixtures/lighting fail. They are always trying to innovate to the point that they really can't support long term viability of anything they come up with and I think they are ok with that. It's great for their bottom line if your customers drop $2K plus or more every 5-7 years.
All this got me thinking about my old halide/T-5 fixture and all T-5 fixtures. Bulbs are available, ballasts are available, have been for decades. And there's no reason to think they won't be in the future. Honestly, I think the colors and growth on my coral was better under the hallide/T-5 fixture I used to run. No disco ball, no shading, much better coverage. So, I think I'm going to go to a T5 only fixture and not look back.
Has anyone else make a similar choice and are are you happy with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I have DIY fixtures. I can replace each led, drivers, the controller, or fans. I still remember at the beginning of LEDs, that they were suppose to basically last a lifetime. I contemplated T5 not to long ago when upgrading what I have. You can almost buy 10 years worth of bulbs and be at half the cost of two radions.

OP
OP
RedoubtReef

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 1 lights and they are still offering a 40% discount you should feel good about that. When did you buy those lights? They are old
yes, I know they are old as they are Gen1 :D The discount is still well north of what I'm willing to spend and it was only if the Gen1 fixtures were dead. So I'd have to find a way to give them an unfortunate end.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say I’ve made the “switch” back as I never ran just LED on my tank. I had T5 and then switched to halide with popbloom blue LED bars for supplement. Heck you can even get a “dimmable” T5 fixture, whatever that’s supposed to mean (not sure if it requires special bulbs or whatever there but yea)

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I have DIY fixtures. I can replace each led, drivers, the controller, or fans. I still remember at the beginning of LEDs, that they were suppose to basically last a lifetime. I contemplated T5 not to long ago when upgrading what I have. You can almost buy 10 years worth of bulbs and be at half the cost of two radions.
I went back to t5's and light bars for this reason. Also no hotspot issues.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t say I’ve made the “switch” back as I never ran just LED on my tank. I had T5 and then switched to halide with popbloom blue LED bars for supplement. Heck you can even get a “dimmable” T5 fixture, whatever that’s supposed to mean (not sure if it requires special bulbs or whatever there but yea)
I did a diyish 4 bulb fixture, all you need is a dimmable ballast. Bulbs don't make a difference.

OP
OP
RedoubtReef

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dimmable feature allows you to do the 'dawn to dusk' feature from what I can tell and choose the power % you want to run the light at. Its based on the ballasts, no special bulbs needed. Sounds very appealling.

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
621A1C7B-014D-4E67-9DD9-79873B73E550.jpeg
Yup! Two 250w Reef Brite pendants with 14k Hamilton’s ready to grow acropora and clams. I think LEDs are great, but nothing beats the gold standard of reef lighting. These will be supplemented with Quanta Pro meso blue LED bars, so going hybrid.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen 1 Radions came out a decade ago, I think expecting parts for any technological product a decade later is a little absurd. They don’t manufacture the parts, they use off the shelf parts, so if they’re not available, they’re not available. I’m not a huge fan of Radions, I don’t currently own or use any, but I think them offering you a 40% discount is more than fair. I also think expecting a lighting fixture to last more than ten years with constant use is unreasonable. I’ve never had a fixture that last for ten years of continual use, not halides, VHOs, PCs, or T5s. Saying that them not supporting a light that came out a decade ago is forced obsolescence similar to how smartphone manufacturers intentionally gimp older phones through firmware updates just doesn’t work, it’s not even remotely comparable (a. because you didn’t buy them two years ago, and b. because even though you bought them a decade ago, they still offered you 40% off new lights). Again, I don’t often defend companies like Ecotech, and I don’t currently own any of their products, but I think you’re being unreasonable. I understand that you would have liked to been able to buy parts for your lights, but IMO Ecotech was more than fair in offering you a discount, and not supporting a decade old product is not forced obsolescence or anti-consumer.

OP
OP
RedoubtReef

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
621A1C7B-014D-4E67-9DD9-79873B73E550.jpeg
Yup! Two 250w Reef Brite pendants with 14k Hamilton’s ready to grow acropora and clams. I think LEDs are great, but nothing beats the gold standard of reef lighting. These will be supplemented with Quanta Pro meso blue LED bars, so going hybrid.
I was a 14K Phoenix guy. Great bulb. 14K seemed like the sweetspot.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For an outdated light I would have taken the offer for the gen 5 u could use them for the next 10 years.
40% off of the gen5 xr30's is still 600bills a piece, yeah its a discount but that burns the pocketbook!

Id have to buy 2 of the xr30's at least on a 48 inch tank, no thanks, lol. 2 grand for lights before a discount is outright obscene.

I'm curious on how many of the gen 1's the op had.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quoted 2k so maybe 4. The xr 15.are about 500each. And 4 would b a good fit for a 48” tank for coverage and par distribution to minimize hot spots. If u we’re going to go that route. There’s the 1200.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I know they are old as they are Gen1 :D The discount is still well north of what I'm willing to spend and it was only if the Gen1 fixtures were dead. So I'd have to find a way to give them an unfortunate end.
Want to send em to me I sure could use 40%off

OP
OP
RedoubtReef

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you still expect them to have spare parts for something they built a decade ago?
Ballasts for 10+ year old T-5s and halides fixtures are available. And bulbs too. It's not so much about what I expect them to support as it is do I really want to be investing thousands into something that I can't repair myself and most likely will not be supported in the future? As I stated in my rant, "just my opinion".

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back