SB Reef Lights

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@frogman_reefer wrote: "I have found that not all corals like the LEDs, maybe it is intensity or perhaps the slight peak spectral shift from the MH to the LEDs" Could you mention which ones you've noticed don't seem to like LED's? Thanks! I also have a canopy over my tank (a 100g cube) which my wife--like yours--also won't allow to be removed. The ceiling of the canopy is 8 inches above the water. I'm just wondering if there is a way to modify the hanging wires/set-up such that the light would hang a fair amount higher/closer to the canopy? I saw an Ocean Revive light at one LFS local to me and they showed me the hanging kit that came with it and said they thought it could be modified easily with some parts from Home Depot so that it could sit up fairly close to the canopy. Do you think that is feasible with this light?
Robert

Adkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you need are some laser cut and bent L brackets that give the top just enough space to let the fans run and room for the cords. Probably could get away with a 2 inch gap. Could be a little smaller with some 90 degree cord ends.

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@frogman_reefer wrote: "I have found that not all corals like the LEDs, maybe it is intensity or perhaps the slight peak spectral shift from the MH to the LEDs" Could you mention which ones you've noticed don't seem to like LED's? Thanks! I also have a canopy over my tank (a 100g cube) which my wife--like yours--also won't allow to be removed. The ceiling of the canopy is 8 inches above the water. I'm just wondering if there is a way to modify the hanging wires/set-up such that the light would hang a fair amount higher/closer to the canopy? I saw an Ocean Revive light at one LFS local to me and they showed me the hanging kit that came with it and said they thought it could be modified easily with some parts from Home Depot so that it could sit up fairly close to the canopy. Do you think that is feasible with this light?
Robert

What I did with mine was to take the leg mounting brackets and reverse them. I hung the lights upside down. I needed to give myself 2 inches on top for the additional cooling fans I have installed.

As for the corals that didn't fare well, a couple Blastomussa that liked lower light and a few of the zoas just seemed to melt. I can't recall which ones they are as I had a large rock that just seemed to lose half of all polyps.

I still love my lights! Definitely worth the money

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot one other question. I've heard that with some of the LED box (array) lights, if they're placed too close to the water, you can get the "disco ball" effect.....whereby you see spots of certain colors in some places on the rocks/corals in the tank (as opposed to using something like a Kessil, whose design avoids that problem). Since the light, in our case, is forced to be placed closer to the water due to the canopy, do you notice whether this light has this "disco ball" effect occur with it? Thanks in advance!

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot one other question. I've heard that with some of the LED box (array) lights, if they're placed too close to the water, you can get the "disco ball" effect.....whereby you see spots of certain colors in some places on the rocks/corals in the tank (as opposed to using something like a Kessil, whose design avoids that problem). Since the light, in our case, is forced to be placed closer to the water due to the canopy, do you notice whether this light has this "disco ball" effect occur with it? Thanks in advance!

I have one or two places, but you really have to look to see them. I know that it's to be expected, and hopefully I can talk her into letting me get a taller canopy. I have also talked to Mike whose suggested that you can remove the lenses to reduce the spot effect as well. I haven't done that, but it's worth the try if it's substantial in your tank.

He just suggests that you take a video when you remove the optics so that you know where they go back if you ever have to put them back on.

Let me know if you have more questions!!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a couple of months since I made the switch and I have to say I am very pleased. I know there are more factors at play than just lights here but a couple of my frags have really started to take off over the last couple of weeks and I am getting great color. I cannot capture this on my crappy phone but here is a picture of my tank as of this weekend. Some of my frags have done more in the last 2 weeks than the 2 months before.
gwxGZt5.jpg

DK4EwzE.jpg

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@SB Reef Lights I am still having trouble with my fans not turning off. I sent an email four days ago through the site and still haven't heard back from anyone.

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to power down and reprogram mine wasn't turning on I did this and poof perfect

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to power down and reprogram mine wasn't turning on I did this and poof perfect
I've reprogrammed on three different devices and for some reason they just don't want to turn off. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing right now but I don't want the fans to wear out sooner because they've been running non stop since the day I got them.

trickyrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've reprogrammed on three different devices and for some reason they just don't want to turn off. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing right now but I don't want the fans to wear out sooner because they've been running non stop since the day I got them.
Reprogram and in plugging the device to do a rebute are different things also check for updates I have been following these lights and am happy user I'm sure if you can't get it mike will help you with your warranty he will respond very fast if you message him directly

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reprogram and in plugging the device to do a rebute are different things also check for updates I have been following these lights and am happy user I'm sure if you can't get it mike will help you with your warranty he will respond very fast if you message him directly
Yea I in plugged it too. Forgot to add that in there. I'm happy with these lights also it's just that dang fan lol.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just a little FYI-Radion has their lights designed so that the fans run 24/7. I know some going now for 3-4yrs. No issues, same fans. [emoji6]

BWilhelm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike, I'm building a drop off reef tank and I'm really interested in the 32" wifi. The tank is 36x24 and 24" in the deep section, will this light work good for my setup?

Adkins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Mike may be on vacation or something. I ordered a light on Thursday and still have never gotten a shipment notice. Usually it's like next day.

frogman_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you open it, you might have a loose wire. If so, that could short the connection and cause it to stay on. If they don't respond, I'd call in a warranty repair.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back