SB Reef Lights

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for a demonstration of visual color and intensity (too early to tell coral health and growth) here's the 3 top types of light over the same tank. (Please ignore the algae issue I was having at the time in picture 1 :) )

1. 4' T5 4 ATI bulb mix.
image.jpeg

2. 250w MH se Radium
image.jpeg

3. SBLIGHT basic box
image.jpeg

The T5 is all lit but not very intense. (Also 4') the MH has a better spread and covering a larger area but it's one of the biggest reflectiors you can get. The LEDs colors are great.. The zoanthids in the tanks are really popping and it's really intense.. But as you can see the spread isn't as far as the MH. I'm not sure if swapping out lenses would change that or not? But that's my initial first impression. I'm going to be doing some actual testing vs. a Cree fixture.. But I'm still waiting on the ne frag tank to be done so I can trash the stupid tub.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice comparison Tim, what is the length of that tub? I single 16 inch unit typically will cover 24 by 30 inches at 24 inch depth of water hung 14 inches over the water. For a shallower tank you can obviously hang them higher and still get enough power while having a larger spread. I have used a single 16 successfully over a 40 breeder at 36 inches long with the optics removed at a 14 inch mounting height. You can remove optics to get a little more spread however that will reduce the intensity by about 20%. If you decide to try removing optics, you should only need to remove the clear 90 degree optics, the 120 degree optics should already be helping.

timkenagy

~Unashamed 116~
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice comparison Tim, what is the length of that tub? I single 16 inch unit typically will cover 24 by 30 inches at 24 inch depth of water hung 14 inches over the water. For a shallower tank you can obviously hang them higher and still get enough power while having a larger spread. I have used a single 16 successfully over a 40 breeder at 36 inches long with the optics removed at a 14 inch mounting height. You can remove optics to get a little more spread however that will reduce the intensity by about 20%. If you decide to try removing optics, you should only need to remove the clear 90 degree optics, the 120 degree optics should already be helping.

The tub is about 4'.. But it's coming out and a new glass rimless frag tank is going in its place. And I'm testing with this fixture for now.. The SPS will be under it lower light corals will be on the edges. But the idea is a 2nd light soon (and maybe more as you can see I have a lot going on in my home :) ) but the one is what will do for now. It was bought with Christmas money and being on disability right now I'm very fortunate to have gotten that.. But I'm liking the colors so far! And it's 11" deep. The light isn't in its final resting spot yet .. I'm waiting on the new tank first. I just thought I'd throw it up for comparison.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the setup, I am converting the garage over into a coral grow out room. I was thinking of going with feed troughs or the Rubbermaid containers like you're using. Just stacked on cinder blocks with Lights over head while feeding into a central some system. I really like the construction and durability of the type you used, I think I may go with those with single 32 inch Lights over them.

MatsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the basic unit for our small tank. Excited to get it. Thanks Mike for quick and helpful responses you provided.

Mathew
Light arrived today. Nat was home for lunch to sign for it. Awesome because it said delivery was scheduled for tomorrow. Looking forward to setting it up tomorrow since I'm working late tonight.
Thanks Mike

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light arrived today. Nat was home for lunch to sign for it. Awesome because it said delivery was scheduled for tomorrow. Looking forward to setting it up tomorrow since I'm working late tonight.
Thanks Mike

My pleasure! Get us some pics. :) Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any issues, concerns, questions or praise. Start them low and slowly work up to allow corals to get used to the lights.

MatsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pleasure! Get us some pics. :) Don't hesitate to contact me directly if you have any issues, concerns, questions or praise. Start them low and slowly work up to allow corals to get used to the lights.

Appreciate the offer and I may take you up on that. The lighting that's on there now is very weak. I don't want to stun or cook those corals.

ZR440

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who have had the SB reef lights for awhile, I am wondering if there is are "correct" percentages of white & blue lights for optimal coral growth? I have found that for my tank, blue @ 100%, and white @ 50% give a great appearance. Thoughts? Suggestions? Again, I am wondering about optimal coral growth. In, addition since receiving my SB lights last week, I have seen wonderful polyp extension & all of my corals look great after making the move from an ATI 6 bulb T5 fixture.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who have had the SB reef lights for awhile, I am wondering if there is are "correct" percentages of white & blue lights for optimal coral growth? I have found that for my tank, blue @ 100%, and white @ 50% give a great appearance. Thoughts? Suggestions? Again, I am wondering about optimal coral growth. In, addition since receiving my SB lights last week, I have seen wonderful polyp extension & all of my corals look great after making the move from an ATI 6 bulb T5 fixture.
100% is a lot for the blue channel, keep a close eye on your corals for signs of fading or bleaching. Normally about a 25 point spread between the two seems to work well, with the white channel turned down you will have less red wavelength, as well as less of the cyan (teal) both play a role in growth. The white channel itself leans towards blue pretty heavy, so you should be able to turn down the blue and turn up the light without changing the bias as much as you would in a light with more warm white and red.

If you prefer the aesthetics of a heavy blue tank, you could consider running the white channel for a shorter photo period, but turn its intensity up to compensate. That would give you more time with blues only while still getting enough energy in the red and teal spectrums to assist with growth. Bottom line no your corals will let you know when they have enough, be ready to back down quickly.

What size tank is it? And how high are the lights above the tank?

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Probably going to be placing my order today or this weekend for an upgrade board, good to know I can get this spread on my 16"! Will most likely upgrade later but this is plenty for now! I have the Galaxy Hydro unit though and wasn't sure if I needed to swap any wire clips or not? I have 3 wires connected to my current LED board.

Thanks!
Salt

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back