***SBB- Summer Sizzle Sale***- 700 WYSYWG - 400 Auctions! $1, $5 Corals. up to 80% off Starts 7/13/23!!! $2,000 In Games and GIfts!!!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Did ypu just have your pinky up on the drink you drank after you said that?
Hello. Question about baking. I've use ESV all this time. Just reading up on baked baking soda. Do you know how much to mix to 1 gal once it's baked at 300 degree for 1 hr. If I switch, I would have to dose, test,... until I find how much it takes to maintain my alk level.

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

obama pinkys up GIF

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hello. Question about baking. I've use ESV all this time. Just reading up on baked baking soda. Do you know how much to mix to 1 gal once it's baked at 300 degree for 1 hr. If I switch, I would have to dose, test,... until I find how much it takes to maintain my alk level.

About 594g of baking soda will bake to about 375g of soda ash. Mix to make 1 gallon of solution.

So a little more than a 1lb of baking soda. I bought bulk on Amazon, a case of 1lb boxes, it was the cheapest at the time $/oz.

Thread 'Baking baking soda - making soda ash - RHF Recipe - ???' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/baking-baking-soda-making-soda-ash-rhf-recipe.829450/

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah..i know it is fancy..and I know it is elitist. But honestly, if you are going to pay high dollar for status...why follow the hurd when your status gets blended away. I know we all do this in our reef tank...we want the IT coral. Why not the wife and her bag.

For the record, I could care less...but it is her thing..not mine

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
About 594g of baking soda will bake to about 375g of soda ash. Mix to make 1 gallon of solution.

So a little more than a 1lb of baking soda. I bought bulk on Amazon, a case of 1lb boxes, it was the cheapest at the time $/oz.

Thread 'Baking baking soda - making soda ash - RHF Recipe - ???' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/baking-baking-soda-making-soda-ash-rhf-recipe.829450/

I can get the 7 lb bag at costo for cheap. So I bake the 594 g of baking soda for 1 hr then mix in 1 gal of rodi. The white stuff settled at the bottom, I don't sue that right. I would just dose the clear solution.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I can get the 7 lb bag at costo for cheap. So I bake the 594 g of baking soda for 1 hr then mix in 1 gal of rodi. The white stuff settled at the bottom, I don't sue that right. I would just dose the clear solution.
I had no settlement when I mixed it. I baked it for longer than an hour too, occasionally stirred it to help release the CO2 and water. You can bake it longer and at 400, you can't burn it or over cook it. I measured the weight at the beginning and end, it was almost to the exact grams. It's also possible for it to absorb moisture if you leave it sit for too long after baking. But shouldn't hurt it.

Randy says it won't affect the Alkalinity just the pH buffering effect and dissolvability.

But yes just the clear solution.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I had no settlement when I mixed it. I baked it for longer than an hour too, occasionally stirred it to help release the CO2 and water. You can bake it longer and at 400, you can't burn it or over cook it. I measured the weight at the beginning and end, it was almost to the exact grams. It's also possible for it to absorb moisture if you leave it sit for too long after baking. But shouldn't hurt it.

Randy says it won't affect the Alkalinity just the pH buffering effect and dissolvability.

But yes just the clear solution.
Thanks. I wonder which is more stronger ESV or soda ash.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
ESV B ionic Part A I assume? Would take 29.4ml according to BRS calculator.

ESV Original CA Buffer would be 31.8 ml
ESV B ionic Bicarbonate system part 1 would be 127.4ml. According to Randy's calculator

Soda ash solution would take 47.1ml

To raise my tank 1 dkh from 8 to 9

Randy said BRS uses his calculations , so on his site use Randy's solution 1 for soda ash and BRS calc is liquid soda ash. They come to the same amounts.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
38 lbs. Not sure Im going to be able to lift the box. Above my weight restriction . lol
Mine said only 17 lbs. I would of thought the blueberry kush mother colony would weighted more. I just the 3 torches and a few sticks is light weigh. LOL.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back