OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested the light yesterday as well. It works. Haven’t played with the settings yet since it’s not over the tank but wanted to make sure it was just functional. Remote seemed straightforward.
However the skimmer I bought had a large crack in the acrylic body so I contacted Marine Depot for a return. One of the reasons I bought everything so far ahead of the completed build because I did not want to deal with these kind of issues close to setup day.

E46CDCA4-F725-4C8F-B451-818097563FC8.jpeg

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA 150 that’s a couple months post water, I’m pretty happy with it overall, great build quality for the patio.

Your stand looks great! I thought you indicated you went with the internal overflow, if so, I don’t see a clearance hole for the bulkheads/piping.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an SCA 150 that’s a couple months post water, I’m pretty happy with it overall, great build quality for the patio.

Your stand looks great! I thought you indicated you went with the internal overflow, if so, I don’t see a clearance hole for the bulkheads/piping.
I did go with the internal overflow. I have yet to cutout the the overflow area, I bought a reciprocating saw for it since I don’t feel like measuring all the drains perfectly. But it didn’t come with the blades and didn’t realize that when I got home and wanted to start sawing :)
It will be done soon enough

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did go with the internal overflow. I have yet to cutout the the overflow area, I bought a reciprocating saw for it since I don’t feel like measuring all the drains perfectly. But it didn’t come with the blades and didn’t realize that when I got home and wanted to start sawing :)
It will be done soon enough
You may want to consider shifting both your upper cross and rear center support to create clearance now. You’ll likely have to take them out to get the clearance you’re going to need.

I capped mine off and drilled it for an a shadow overflow. As you can see there likely isn’t enough clearance for that center support and your cross bars need to be wider to run the entire width. The inside spacing on mine are about 12” wide.

image.jpg image.jpg

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following. I'm just over a year in with my SCA 120 (w/ a DIY stand), for the money they are hard to beat. Looking at their 180 for an upgrade in a couple years.

Looking great so far!

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider shifting both your upper cross and rear center support to create clearance now. You’ll likely have to take them out to get the clearance you’re going to need.

I capped mine off and drilled it for an a shadow overflow. As you can see there likely isn’t enough clearance for that center support and your cross bars need to be wider to run the entire width. The inside spacing on mine are about 12” wide.

image.jpg image.jpg
I want the stand flush with the wall so Im keeping the internal overflow, however I can easily modify the braces to be wider. Not a big deal. I’ll look into the blueprint and see the exact clearance needed for the overflow and go from there. I had to take the center brace out anyway for the sump so I’ll take a look and see what else needs to change

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have checked the blueprint and marked out the deck where the drains are gonna sit. I’m not sure wether to cutout the whole area or just holesaw through it. I don’t have hole bits so might just cut the whole thing out

F9BBEA2F-27E4-4D56-848F-3C797C7AD8D1.jpeg

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered 40lbs of Caribsea Liferock to the current 40lbs I have in my 40B
I decided on the Jebao DCP10000 return pump. I have the DCP3000 on my 40b and it is whisper quiet and has served me well with no issues so I’m confident this will be a good choice.

Haven’t fully decided on wavemakers yet. I was thinking a Hydros Wave controller + Icecap 4K times two pump only since they integrate using only one cable with the controller

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is really frustrating, Icecap 4K and Maxspect 350 pumps are out of stock everywhere. I really did not want to go Ecotech route since in my opinion its overpriced gear.
Any suggestions?

I really like the Hydros Wave Engine and want something that will be able to work with that but I might have to just buy Jebao pumps and upgrade later when things get back in stock.

The AI Nero 5 was an option till I read that it barely holds on to glass. The SCA 150 is made out of 12mm glass so it would be a problem at that thickness.

Thoughts?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same flow rates as a MP40. both 4500 GPH. ATM I have 2 MP40s on my Redsea Reefer 250 36x20x20 SPS system. I think the 2 Octopulse 4 would be good and as things grow can always add more or even Octopuls 2 to the back wall. Also Octo will work with the Hydros Wave

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same flow rates as a MP40. both 4500 GPH. ATM I have 2 MP40s on my Redsea Reefer 250 36x20x20 SPS system. I think the 2 Octopulse 4 would be good and as things grow can always add more or even Octopuls 2 to the back wall. Also Octo will work with the Hydros Wave
Sounds like a good plan. Only thing is I dont really have any experience with nothing but gyres and I love the flow the gyres output it is very strong. But if they claim they can run that flow rate it will be ok.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyres are good to as I have 2 Maxspect 330 on my Seahorse tank. And I have another set in the box thinking I may use them on the 150 or put them back on the Redsea when I pull off the MP40s to go on to 150

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I have made a final decision on the pumps. I went (because I found a place that was selling them discounted AND had them in stock) with two Icecap 4K gyres, and they will be controlled with a Hydros Wave Engine. Everything is ordered. Also for programming a feed mode for my corals I ordered a Hydros Wifi plug to control turning the pump and skimmer off.

Tuesday I will have the mortar in to aquascape the Caribsea Life Rock.

Planning on taking some 60gal barrels from work to home to start making some RODI and salt mix.

Alexdiaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I have made a final decision on the pumps. I went (because I found a place that was selling them discounted AND had them in stock) with two Icecap 4K gyres, and they will be controlled with a Hydros Wave Engine. Everything is ordered. Also for programming a feed mode for my corals I ordered a Hydros Wifi plug to control turning the pump and skimmer off.

Tuesday I will have the mortar in to aquascape the Caribsea Life Rock.

Planning on taking some 60gal barrels from work to home to start making some RODI and salt mix.
Nice choice with the gyres.

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along!
My SCA 150 will be delivered on Wednesday!
Check my build thread for the details.
I’d love to hear your experience with the new Gyres. I’ve got an XF130 that’s a few years old. I’m hoping it and the two Nero 5 pumps will be old enough for my mixed reef.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along!
My SCA 150 will be delivered on Wednesday!
Check my build thread for the details.
I’d love to hear your experience with the new Gyres. I’ve got an XF130 that’s a few years old. I’m hoping it and the two Nero 5 pumps will be old enough for my mixed reef.
Nice, congrats. I ordered mine start of November I think and they told me they were out of stock, and I had to wait for stock to come in, so I haven't even had a shipping confirmation yet but they said it would be around next week they would have stock coming in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back