SCA 150 Mixed but mostly Sticks build

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers!

After picking up a local Marketplace find, a 120 gallon standard acrylic tank with stand and initial test fill, I had to abandon that build since the tank was cracked on one of the corners and leaking water. After doing some research it did not seem wise to put in a lot more work since the tank already needed a full polish and some diy with overflow etc to just abandon that project and start from scratch.

I was hoping to save a lot of money in the upgrade but it seems like I wasn’t so lucky.

Me and my wife discussed and still insisted on an upgraded so we decided on purchasing a 150 gallon SCA tank!

As of right now the order has been placed and confirmed but they are out of stock and ETA will be end of the month or first week of December for arrival.

Enough time to build a stand and get everything else ready for the tank and be prepared for the switch!

Building the stand myself was important because we wanted it to match the kitchen and I never liked any of the lower heights the stands that come with 150 gallon tanks usually come with. I will be building a stand 60x24x36 high.

The build once setup should look like this:

SCA 150 Gallon tank, internal overflow.

Lighting:
Reefbreeders Photon 50v2+

Pumps:
TBD, I currently have the Jebao CP90 gyre but that gyre cannot be run as master slave so I need to change this to something that can alternate currents on both sides of the tank. Any suggestions?

Jebao DCP10000 as return pump

I am still looking for a sump but I have my eyes set on a Bashea Smart Series 36x18
Anything in that price range is cool so maybe any other suggestions?
I am not doing a triton method, I am doing filter socks>skimmer>pods and biomedia>return pump with reactor

For substrate I am most likely going barebottom with some sand in the back or a cave for the wrasses.

Livestock:
Everything in my current running setup, which is:
Yellow Tang (still small and one of the reasons for the 150gal build)
Melanarus Wrasse
Bangai Cardinal
3 Chromis
Clownfish
Fire Red Shrimp

I am gonna need some ideas for livestock in the 150 gallon!
I love wrasse so I will probably get one or two more; maybe a Ruby Head Wrasse and a Leopard Wrasse.
As for the rest; open to suggestions!

More posts to come once I start building the stand etc this weekend and other developments; deliveries etc

Last edited:
OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer I have is currently an Aquamaxx Cones Q1, I have to upgrade this for the upgrade.
I’m looking to upgrade to the Q3 model since I like the Aquamaxx Skimmer!

derekgoude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse is really cool. My dad had one in his tank. They aren't exactly reef safe. Might want to read up on them.

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the same tank but external overflow so I will be following along as I am getting parts together myself. Just an FYI Marine Depot has Aquamaxx products on sale 15% off . I just picked up the Q3 skimmer and a T1 Calcium reactor.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am doing the same tank but external overflow so I will be following along as I am getting parts together myself. Just an FYI Marine Depot has Aquamaxx products on sale 15% off . I just picked up the Q3 skimmer and a T1 Calcium reactor.
Thanks might as well go ahead and order those in.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse is really cool. My dad had one in his tank. They aren't exactly reef safe. Might want to read up on them.
Yeah it isn’t set in stone I just love the way they look. I’ll read up on them and see what they are all about, might just go with a mystery wrasse or ruby long fin which I also really like.

derekgoude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it isn’t set in stone I just love the way they look. I’ll read up on them and see what they are all about, might just go with a mystery wrasse or ruby long fin which I also really like.
Mystery wrasse is pretty cool. There are a ton of fairy wrasse that are pretty and price point is lower than a mystery. If you could get a male and female it's fun to watch them 'dance'. Like a pair of McCoskers, the male will flash and swim around the girly fish.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like flasher wrasse, are they easy to pair up or should I buy a bonded pair? Or just buy a male and female and they will just pair up

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered this list from Marine Depot

AquaMaxx FC-280 In-Sump Protein Skimmer1$254.99$254.99
AquaMaxx Fluidized GFO and Carbon Filter Media Reactor - Standard1$59.49$59.49
GFO Granular Ferric Oxide (2 lbs) - AquaMaxx1$33.99$33.99
1/2 Inch Black Flexible Vinyl Tubing - 10ft1$9.99$9.99
AquaMaxx Hang-On Bracket for BioMaxx BioPellet and Media Reactors1$16.99$16.99
Two Little Fishies Ball Valve w/ Hose Barbs for 1/2 Inch (12.7 mm) I.D. Tubing - (1 Per Pack)2$4.33$8.66
Insert Elbow Fitting - 1/2 inch Insert x 1/2 inch Insert

Do y’all think the FC 280 with a high bioload capacity of over 200 gallons is too big of a skimmer? I really couldn’t pass it up since the price was superb and I currently have an Aquamaxx skimmer and they are just fantastic, let me know what y’all think.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to update that the Fiji Advanced Sumps just when on sale (literally activated after browsing a few minutes spending on their website comparing sump models) When the price when down when the page refreshed I clicked order right away. I went for the Fiji Cube Fiji-36 Advanced Reef Sump 2nd Gen

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started building the stand!

Here was my whole day activity in pictures:

IMG_1150.jpg
IMG_1151.jpg
IMG_1152.JPG

IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg
IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1161.JPG

Next up:

More plywood, start trimwork and make doors.

IMG_1150.jpg IMG_1151.jpg IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1156.jpg IMG_1157.jpg IMG_1160.jpg IMG_1161.JPG

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders Photon 50v2+ was back in stock thus I have placed an order. Awaiting Sump, Skimmer, Reactor, Light.

I should place an order soon for more Caribsea Liferock (my favorite) and maybe mortar to make "dramatic" aquascape.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did some more arts and crafts today. Here are some updates. Got as far as putting some trim on it. Some trim on the side is still to be done and still have to cut and trim doors, not to forget somehow install soft close hidden hinges for the first time in my life so we will see how that goes.

77F369ED-BDD0-4E8E-983B-773A056E437C.jpeg F66C8A6A-F484-4076-9810-19B1CA247F41.jpeg

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No picture updates today, Sunday is a workday for me. I did finish up all of the trim on all sides. Got material to make the doors and hopefully get started on those tomorrow. I checked on tracking and Sump/Reactor/Skimmer are all arriving by Wednesday so maybe I will do a big unboxing video later in the week with all the equipment if people are interested in that?

Goals for the week:
- Build doors
- Sand the stand
- Start paint priming

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump arrived, will have to be installed removing center brace so it will stay in the box for a while til I’m done with priming and painting epoxy on the inside of the stand. I might add a removable service panel on the side of the stand for future sump removal/maintenance. Skimmer and reactor arrived but I haven’t unboxed anything as of yet since 12h shifts at work..

Will work on sanding and priming the stand in the weekend. Stay tuned!

39806190-55E5-4725-A8E0-83DF1C95E41D.jpeg E1F8EAE2-7962-4E4C-B7C3-05D6E794D6C9.jpeg

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some stuff arrived this week and I haven't really unpacked it all but I just wanted to show you some pictures of it.

- Fiji Advanced Sump 36
- Reefbreeders 50v2+
- Aquamaxx Reactor /w plumbing etc
- Aquamaxx GFO
- Aquamaxx FS 280 Skimmer

Still to order:
- New gyre or other wavemaker (thinking a Nero 5 or MP40 as addition to my Jebao CP90 Gyre)
- More dry rock (Carbisea Life Rock, with mortar to create new aquascape)
- Return pump, most likely the Jebao DCP10000
- Yogamat to sit on the stand deck. ( I will glue this so I can just put the tank on top of it and not worry about it sliding)

IMG_1184.jpg IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1177.jpg

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update since I worked on the stand today, the end is near!
All the trimwork has been finished, doors were built (rail and style shaker), and I even got all the way to painting! Sanded down to 220 and started priming with Kilz.

As for paint, I chose to use Rustoleum oil based Enamel High Gloss paint for the inside of the stand, so cleaning (spatters etc) would be very easy to clean up. It is taking a long time to dry, so I will have to resume painting the doors tomorrow.
As for the exterior, I chose Valspar StormCoat (which is exterior paint grade) and Crème Fraiche as the color, it's kind of an off-white and I thought it would match my cabinets nicely. (not looking for a perfect match)

Once the doors are painted, they will be hung using concealed soft close hinges made for 3/4 frame/wood. My plywood was 3/4 but not true 3/4 but this will work just fine.

IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1179.jpg IMG_1180.JPG IMG_1181.JPG IMG_1183.JPG

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Done!

Now all that's left is some alignment on the door but I can do all of that when it's at it's final place.
The enamel is curing nice and smooth, will be great for clean up in the sump area.

Buying a yogamat or something of the like to glue on the deck and then I wont have to worry about the barebottom looking weird and it helps to self level the tank.

Now I can think about putting together a stock list for the tank.

IMG_1191.jpg IMG_1192.jpg IMG_1193.jpg IMG_1194.JPG

Back