SCA 50 gal build thread

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank should come drilled with 3 holes. Yes all my plumbing is 1 inch. The pvc glues directly to the bulkheads. I would be happy to help you figure out what parts you need

Ok great. I will talk with SCA to ensure I will have the 3 one inch bulk heads. I started trying to figure out based on your pictures which are great by the way.

Dumb question to start off with, so the 1" PVC just slides into the bulk head and you glue it down after dry fitting?

I bought an extra gate valve so I also added 2 extra 45° elbows (street). I figured if I needed to dial back my return pump I could fine tune it with this gate valve. From my brief reading it sounds like that might not be needed/recommended. Guess I could always have it as backup/spare parts for later.

I also bought two extra 45° elbows to see if I could use that instead of the 90° on the return line. Bought the 90° too just in case.

At the end of your return PVC it looks like it's just a coupler? And the barbed part that connects to the flexible tubing comes with the SCA PNP aquarium? Is that correct or was that some type of barbed adapter you bought?

4 of 1" X 46" RED SCHEDULE 40 PIPE
Bulk Reef Supply
4 of 1” SCHEDULE 80 45° ELBOW SLIP X Spigot (Street)
2 of 1” SPEARS GATE VALVE SLIP X SLIP
3 of 1” SCHEDULE 80 UNION SLIP X SLIP
4 of 1” SCHEDULE 80 45° ELBOW SLIP X SLIP
1 of 1” SCHEDULE 80 90° ELBOW SLIP X SLIP
1 of 1” SCHEDULE 80 COUPLER SLIP X SLIP

Look good so far?

Then I will need a strainer for my main return.

Not sure if this is the right one, may need to look around as this one says bulkhead strainer.
Not as worried about this as I can find different options during the cycle.

1” THREAD BULKHEAD STRAINER
1” SCHEDULE 80 FEMALE PIPE ADAPTER

Does that look like I got everything covered except maybe some PVC cutters, pipe cleaner, and glue?

OP
OP
Barrett

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. I will talk with SCA to ensure I will have the 3 one inch bulk heads. I started trying to figure out based on your pictures which are great by the way.

Dumb question to start off with, so the 1" PVC just slides into the bulk head and you glue it down after dry fitting?

I bought an extra gate valve so I also added 2 extra 45° elbows (street). I figured if I needed to dial back my return pump I could fine tune it with this gate valve. From my brief reading it sounds like that might not be needed/recommended. Guess I could always have it as backup/spare parts for later.

I also bought two extra 45° elbows to see if I could use that instead of the 90° on the return line. Bought the 90° too just in case.

At the end of your return PVC it looks like it's just a coupler? And the barbed part that connects to the flexible tubing comes with the SCA PNP aquarium? Is that correct or was that some type of barbed adapter you bought?

Bulk Reef Supply

Look good so far?

Not sure if this is the right one, may need to look around as this one says bulkhead strainer.

Does that look like I got everything covered except maybe some PVC cutters, pipe cleaner, and glue?
Yes you just glue the pipe into the bulkhead after dry fitting. I just used the strainer that came with the sc aquariums kit. There should be two so I always have a backup when the one in the main drain needs cleaned. I would add 1 more coupling to put on the main drain for the strainer to sit in. Don’t glue any of the drain or return pipes in the overflow box so they can be removed if need be. Glue everything under the tank though. I also used the 90 degree barbs that came with the sc kit and glued them into the couplings on my return.

OP
OP
Barrett

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bulk Reef Supply

Look good so far?

Sorry looking back over your list you will need 3 couplings to do the plumbing the way I did it.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry looking back over your list you will need 3 couplings to do the plumbing the way I did it.

I've ordered everything and I am currently awaiting everything to arrive. I ordered 4 couplers as I am the type to always order extra of everything just in case. I only see the coupler near the return pump. Where to do other two go? For the strainer on the drain lines?

OP
OP
Barrett

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered everything and I am currently awaiting everything to arrive. I ordered 4 couplers as I am the type to always order extra of everything just in case. I only see the coupler near the return pump. Where to do other two go? For the strainer on the drain lines?
Yes one there and another to attach the 90 barb to the return line to attach the rubber hose
73058EF3-1F55-4595-9A3B-B32A9EEA2209.jpeg

88EF8D81-83F2-47A9-8512-C2E8AE2B47EE.jpeg

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes one there and another to attach the 90 barb to the return line to attach the rubber hose
73058EF3-1F55-4595-9A3B-B32A9EEA2209.jpeg

88EF8D81-83F2-47A9-8512-C2E8AE2B47EE.jpeg

Ok, great. Thank you so much for your help! Just curious have you swapped out your return pump or skimmer? If so with what and how is it going? I plan to add an ATO system as well, just curious how you are liking the setup and what not.

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine came with flexible tubing but wasn't even the braided reinforced type. Not really worth using unless you absolutely had to.
BTW looks good so far.

Any idea what size of tubing I need? Going to Lowes in the morning.

Honestly I have never worked with PVC before. I'm a little disappointed that I applied too much glue to my first connection (top left). But I guess you live and you learn. 20181207_232054.jpg 20181207_232119.jpg

OP
OP
Barrett

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your plumbing looks really nice, if the glue bothers you, you could use a little bit of acetone of a rag and it should take it off. Be careful not to soak the joint though.

OP
OP
Barrett

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, great. Thank you so much for your help! Just curious have you swapped out your return pump or skimmer? If so with what and how is it going? I plan to add an ATO system as well, just curious how you are liking the setup and what not.
Yes I swapped out my return pump and skimmer. I went with a reef octopus ss150 I believe and my return pump is a DC Jaebo. I will be replacing the return pump with a reef octopus various-6 after the holidays. The first thing I would get is definitely a ATO. I have loved mine, been working great since day one with absolutely no problems at all
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-ato-micro-120p-auto-top-off-system-autoaqua.html

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Barrett

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a little confused. The pump seems to have barbs for a 3/4" hose. While the 90 degree barbs are 1". Will 1" hose tighten down over the 3/4 barb?
I do think I ran into that also when I was using the return pump from the kit. Did it come with any other barb fittings for the return pump? You maybe able to tighten it down but to be honest with you the pump was to noisy for where I placed my tank and I replaced it right away.

OP
OP
Barrett

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what size of tubing I need? Going to Lowes in the morning.

Honestly I have never worked with PVC before. I'm a little disappointed that I applied too much glue to my first connection (top left). But I guess you live and you learn. 20181207_232054.jpg 20181207_232119.jpg
I will make a suggestion to you from my personal experience. I would take a razor blade and cut out the baffle between the filter sock chamber and the skimmer chamber. It opens it up for bigger skimmers in the future and makes changing the filter sock a lot easier

Philipgonzales3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think I ran into that also when I was using the return pump from the kit. Did it come with any other barb fittings for the return pump? You maybe able to tighten it down but to be honest with you the pump was to noisy for where I placed my tank and I replaced it right away.

So it looks like on the pump output the barbs are 3/4 inch but if you keep sliding it past the barbs the smooth part is 1". So I think I just have to make sure to seat the hose properly. I'll have to run with the stock one for a while. I've spent almost 2K on everything so far so need time for the wallet to cool down. I actually run loud servers at the other end of the room so I doubt the noise will bother me.

OP
OP
Barrett

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like on the pump output the barbs are 3/4 inch but if you keep sliding it past the barbs the smooth part is 1". So I think I just have to make sure to seat the hose properly. I'll have to run with the stock one for a while. I've spent almost 2K on everything so far so need time for the wallet to cool down. I actually run loud servers at the other end of the room so I doubt the noise will bother me.
I understand that, yes if you have other noise in the room you probably won’t hear it at all.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back