Scammer

1st PLt Drill SGT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm somewhat new here. In the Marketplace someone was selling a pump. After sending the money, I seller decided to continue to raise the price, so I ask for my money to be returned. Now this morning, he has decided to delete his profile.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have the username of the member? If you're saying they've deleted their profile, there's a good chance that they were removed because of scam activity. I encourage you to file a dispute with whatever payment method you used (PayPal, your CC, etc.)

If you let us know what the username is/was, I will be glad to verify for you.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes! We advise to never ever send money through unsecured payment methods. It's actually a violation of our site rules for sellers to ask for payment using unsecured methods. Please always report anyone who requests payment through CashApp, PayPal friends and family, or any other unsecured method.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the username? Why protect the scammer? You can’t even post in the for sale section until you’ve been here a while

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What was the username? Why protect the scammer? You can’t even post in the for sale section until you’ve been here a while
Based on the info in the first post, I'm thinking it was someone we removed from the site due to potential scamming activity. That would result in the removal of the person's profile.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the info in the first post, I'm thinking it was someone we removed from the site due to potential scamming activity. That would result in the removal of the person's profile.
I too think these profiles should not be deleted, but permanently marked, locked and added to a single sticky that is locked to the single post. So just a list that any potential buyers/sellers could reference and still search the posts/profile of the exiled.

Profile Name - Reason For being locked or any relevant information.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let me explain the rationale for the removal and how it works.

First, it's actually a misstatement to say the profile is deleted. I'm sorry for my own misstatement. I was using the same terminology as the original post and should have explained better. The profile (username) remains, but the user's content is deleted.

The reason we do this is that if this user was attempting to scam one person, odds are good that they were attempting to scam 10 people (or more). So, when we discover scam activity, we remove the content the useer generated including posts and (more importantly) private messages where they are likely giving victims instructions to send payment via unsecured methods. If we only locked the account, but they have already sent Zelle, cashapp, or other payment info, the potential victim wouldn't know and would possibly still send the payment. That's why we remove it. Our goal is to remove potential scam communications before victims come in contact with them.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logic or details regarding the offender's posts withstanding- I think it would be highly beneficial to have that sticky thread mentioned, with the list of shame. I am not talking about a list of people who had disputes or are jerks or where their fraud/scams can't be easily identified. I am talking about a list of people (as in this thread) where the R2R staff takes action top suspend an account for this type of activity.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back