Scarlet or blue legged hermit?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 300 gallons. I probably have less than 20 snails in my tank And probably one hermit crab left that I never bought in the first place.

I want to get hermit crabs, mainly for ornamental purposes, but also to aid as a clean up crew. I’m deciding between scarlet and blue. The scarlet is more expensive and harder to find.

I honestly don’t really have a preference. I’m going to get empty shells regardless, but I wanted to know which one is more recommended.

Maybe I’ll also get one emerald crab for the heck of it too.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That’s super cheap! I keep going back and fourth between blue and scarlet >_<

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want some cool crabs get some Electric Blue or Halloween hermits. They're definitely more expensive but cool characters for the tank.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blue legs did nothing for hair or turf algae so I'm trying out the scarlets to see if they will at least be of some use.

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get scarlett (the bright red) over red leg crabs because the one red leg I got was killing all my other crabs (blue leg and zebra)

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 300 gallons. I probably have less than 20 snails in my tank And probably one hermit crab left that I never bought in the first place.

I want to get hermit crabs, mainly for ornamental purposes, but also to aid as a clean up crew. I’m deciding between scarlet and blue. The scarlet is more expensive and harder to find.

I honestly don’t really have a preference. I’m going to get empty shells regardless, but I wanted to know which one is more recommended.

Maybe I’ll also get one emerald crab for the heck of it too.

They're both nice but the blue legged hermits are cheaper and do a good job in dealing with algae. The scarlets do add a nice splash of color to your CUC.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of making another thread, I will continue with this one.

I got 35 blue legged crabs and 4 scarlets. I added shells last night that came in the mail, and I already see a lot of the crabs changed out into new shells which is great!

My tank is pretty large, but there isn’t a lot of algae, as I said earlier, I don’t want crabs as a clean up crew, I want them more as livestock. How can I supply them with food?

also, when they say max size is 1”, is that including the shells? I have some 2” shells that are pretty big, and I kinda want some hermits that can fit in them because the hermits I have are really small.

What will get bigger, scarlets or blue legs?

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have blue leg and some clibanarius antillensis (similar crab) that are already using 1.5" shells. The crabs grow fast if you feed them well and take care of them (if they don't fight each other). Mine has grown from a 3/4" shell (cerith) to a good size Turbo and then a conch type shell (about 2 inches).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 119 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 97 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back