School of Firefish

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my attempt to answer the age old question, will Firefish stay in a school?

I've always wanted a school of fish in my reef and today I decided to add 5 Firefish. I considered blue/green chomis, cardinals and but decided to add the Firefish. They join the following fish in my 90G Mixed Reef.

Yellow Tang
Longnose Geometric Hawkfish
Golden Rhomboid
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Blue Saphire Damsel
Yellow Watchman Goby
BiColor Blenny
Greeen Mandarin
Unknown Blenny or Dottyback or Goby
Pink Short Spine Urchine
Fire Shrimp

20230726_153253.jpg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my attempt to answer the age old question, will Firefish stay in a school?

I've always wanted a school of fish in my reef and today I decided to add 5 Firefish. I considered blue/green chomis, cardinals and but decided to add the Firefish. They join the following fish in my 90G Mixed Reef.

Yellow Tang
Longnose Geometric Hawkfish
Golden Rhomboid
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
Blue Saphire Damsel
Yellow Watchman Goby
BiColor Blenny
Greeen Mandarin
Unknown Blenny or Dottyback or Goby
Pink Short Spine Urchine
Fire Shrimp

20230726_153253.jpg
Considering it’s the Nemateleotris magnifica this is the only species that is communal, the others aren’t. And even then they don’t necessarily school and more so shoal. You will probably find that they’re grouped together now for safety and will separate in their own ways (likely into pairs) once settled.

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering it’s the Nemateleotris magnifica this is the only species that is communal, the others aren’t. And even then they don’t necessarily school and more so shoal. You will probably find that they’re grouped together now for safety and will separate in their own ways (likely into pairs) once settled.
Probably right, but its worth a shot. Maybe I'll introduce a new wrasse every so often keep em on guard

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably right, but its worth a shot. Maybe I'll introduce a new wrasse every so often keep em on guard
I don’t see harm in that ;)

Hopefully they don’t just pair off and do actually stick together every so often.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a purple and a helfrichi firefish together for about 5 months now! They kinda hang out but mostly they hang out with the purple floating near the sand and the helfrichi floating above him. Based on research I think they might be male and female, not sure! But you having 4 of them is super cool!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a purple and a helfrichi firefish together for about 5 months now! They kinda hang out but mostly they hang out with the purple floating near the sand and the helfrichi floating above him. Based on research I think they might be male and female, not sure! But you having 4 of them is super cool!
Be cautious with those two, none of the 4 other species in the genus are communal and eventually seem to kill eachother.

Also I don’t know if you’ll find this interesting but the ‘Helfrichi’ Firefish we all know is actually a new species and got separated from the true Helfrichi from Cook Islands. Instead the yellow headed ‘Helfrichi’ is infact Nemateleotris lavandula.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be cautious with those two, none of the 4 other species in the genus are communal and eventually seem to kill eachother.

Also I don’t know if you’ll find this interesting but the ‘Helfrichi’ Firefish we all know is actually a new species and got separated from the true Helfrichi from Cook Islands. Instead the yellow headed ‘Helfrichi’ is infact Nemateleotris lavandula.
Oh wow really? So it isnt technically a firefish like my purple? I have noticed some distinct feeding habits and behaviors that are different from my purple which I just thought was just different personalities between the fish. My helfrichi likes to be near the top of the water and my purple likes to be down low. Very strange for sure, and yes Ive been watching them like a hawk!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is very true. I had a pair of helfrichi years ago in another tank I had a purple. The purple was in an 8g nano I had at work. Corporate came in and made me take the work nano down. At the time I only had one tank at home 120g. At that time I didn't really have a good place for a nano tank so I put all the nano stuff in the 120. Was fine for a month or so then the purple killed one of the helfrichi. Of course I couldn't get him out without destroying my tank. Daily aggression towards the helfrichi, eventually the purple won.

I was thinking I'd like to try a small group like this myself. Interested to see how it goes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow really? So it isnt technically a firefish like my purple? I have noticed some distinct feeding habits and behaviors that are different from my purple which I just thought was just different personalities between the fish. My helfrichi likes to be near the top of the water and my purple likes to be down low. Very strange for sure, and yes Ive been watching them like a hawk!
The genus Nemateleotris is the Firefish genus but there have been quite a few separations within it I mean, there’s N. exquisitus and N. decora which are both very similar and we’re once thought to be the same but got separated in 2013.

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see harm in that ;)

Hopefully they don’t just pair off and do actually stick together every so often.
So far their still grouped two days in but they haven't ventured far from the corner. Hopefully when I get home today they've started moving around the tank a bit

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work today and could only find 3 Firefish. After feeding the 4th emerged from the creepy doll and rejoined the herd. No sign of #5. Too many hiding spots to panic. No evidence it made it out and CUC isn't swarming. MTF lol

Attachments

• 20230728_204254.jpg
    20230728_204254.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 70

Moomee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this going? Just picked up 6 for really cheap and going to eventually put them in my 210g after QT.

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the long term, firefish will pick each other off. Never ending brutal battle until 1 remained in my case. Zebra firefish seem to be the exception and supposedly remain peaceful. Getting 1 of several different kinds (standard, purple, helfrichi, scissortail, etc) would be your best bet but no guarantee of schooling. They probably will prefer similar lower flow areas of the tank and might have the appearance of grouping.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 151 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.3%
Back