Schuran Customs 90g tank with HUGE Algae reactor

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I'm starting a 90g tank in my new apartement and would like to share that with you guys. This is going to be my 5th reef tank and my 12th (or so) aquarium since I started into this hobby.

The project will probably progress slowly beacuse I would like to use all my knowledge as well as yours (suggestions and feedback is most welcome) and figure out all details, plan them and execute them according to plan instead of just trying stuff at random.

The tank is a custom built acrylic tank being built right now by Schuran seawater equipment in Germany. Soon it is being shipped to Stockholm, Sweden, where I live. The tank is 110cm long, 60cm wide and 50cm high. Thats 43" x 23" x 19" or so. 330 liter or approx 90 gallon. The tank will have a black bottom and backside, not painted, it´s going to be black acrylic on those sides. I am (at least starting) going to run it as a bare bottom tank.

I'm going to try and automate and build redundant failsafes for as much as possible in the tank to provide at stable environment, but also because I travel and work a lot. Lastly also because maintenance is something I always try to keep at a minimum. Hands out of the tank :)

Skärmavbild 2017-08-22 kl. 21.49.08.png

The above drawing is the final blueprint from Schuran which I accepted and they are building. For the stand I have made a drawing in Sketchup and are now waiting for quotes from carpenters to have it built. The stand are going to be built in 30mm black Valchromat.

Skärmavbild 2017-08-24 kl. 18.56.16.png

The stand is going to have cabinet doors also, but they are excluded in this sketch. The doors are going to be flush (I think you say that) to the rest of the stand. The left side is going to house the sump and some electrical outlets. The right side is going to house the ATO container. I'm currently thinking of a way to mount all controllers and stuff outside the tank on a board or something like it.

IMG_1351.jpg

Above is the sump and ATO container. Both are from german company Royal Exclusiv. The design differ a bit on them because I have bought them on different occasions (I like to wait for good deals..). Both have integrated LED light so I can see whats going on inside.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1356.jpg
IMG_1357.jpg

This is going to be the return pump. I know it's "a bit" over the top, but it is also going to power an external Cheato reactor I am currently building. Also I like to run my equipment on a very low setting to avoid noise.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1358.jpg

This is what I will use for heating. The two titanium heaters will plug into the twin controller. The twin controller will then be plugged into my Apex powerbar. The Apex will be set to about a degree higher than the twin controller. That way I will have extra safety and the Apex will break power if the temp rises too high.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1360.jpg

My Neptune Apex is upgraded and ready with powerbar, WXM module and advanced leak module.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome start! Nice equipment!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man! Your equipment list reads like my Christmas list! Nice setup! Following!

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have gotten a quote on the stand from a professional furniture carpenter, 1400 dollars plus tax :eek: - So tomorrow a friend is coming over to see if we can build it ourselves.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

I have started working on the scape. Made a pretend tank on my terrace. The rocks are Carib sea Life rock. I attacked them with a chisel drill hammer and then glued the bits together. I will start with a bare bottom. The strange brown "bucket" is a Dr. Söchting Oxydator that is being hidden by the rockwork. I really like oxydators and was inspired by @Lasse to use one again.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1444.jpg

To prepare for the stand I start by putting a plastic floor protection on the floor against the wall and all the way into the corner. Then I put a bead of sealant all the way round on the sides facing the wall so that it's waterproof. I want to protect the oakwood floors but also make sure that no water can escape into the sheetrock.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Design for stand is now decided. It will be a black stand built in Valchromat 30mm. Material is on order and I think it will be built within two weeks.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1463.jpg
Today I installed a Vertex Puratek Deluxe RO/DI filter. This is during my test run to see the there are no leaks and that everything works as it should.

IMG_1470.jpg

I put it in a small alcove next to our washing machine. Waste water goes straight to the drain.

IMG_1469.jpg

From the side you can even see it. High WAF (wife acceptance factor) is a good thing.

IMG_1474.jpg

After the RO/DI filter is done breaking in, I will add this extra silicate filter for extra security. I know it's a bit over the top, but I like it.. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1500.jpg

Breaking in my Abyzz 200 return pump. I think I will run it at about 18-25% or somewhere in that region. It's DEAD QUIET. So nice :)

IMG_1501.jpg

I'm running the pump in my ATO-container in freshwater for a couple of hours. Cleaning them both from residuals from the production.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1473 (1).jpg

I decided on Kessil A360W for the light. So initially two 360's will be the light for the tank. It should do at least to begin with. I have them setup and controlled by my Apex. A clothes drying rack was my test bench during 24 hours to see that everything worked as programmed.

IMG_1461 (1).jpg

I really like the small footprint and the simple settings offered. Clean and easy.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1510.jpg
Cabinet is now ready and put in its place. 30 mm Valchromat for all load bearing parts and 19 mm for the doors.

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1512.jpg

Testing out how the sump fits and it fits like a glove :)

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1517.jpg

Painting the cabinet with a waterproof polyurethane coating to make the lower part watertight. This helps protect against damage if I spill water. I also make sure no water can get behind or under the cabinet.

IMG_1519.jpg
The right site is going to be the ATO-chamber and also were I put all (most) of the controllers and other electrical stuff. Since the ATO-tank has a lid there won't be a lot of evaporation so this part of the cabinet will be dry and also without any salty mist from the skimmer in the other compartment. I like to keep all my tech stuff dry and clean :) To keep things cool I will have a PC fan evacuating air at the top.

IMG_1524.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back