Schuran Customs 90g tank with HUGE Algae reactor

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use Corian solid surface by DuPont to make furniture for aquariums. You could soak it in a swimming pool over night and not damage the bonds or material. But it is 35% acrylic and 65% mineral so it is a higher cost material. I also use PVC and Olefin structures like Designboard from Vycom to produce cabinets on a test and experiment basis at this time.

I love the aquarium and the cabinet as well as your use of automation. Just wondered why you selected EcoTech products versus a German company like Tunze and GHL?

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use Corian solid surface by DuPont to make furniture for aquariums. You could soak it in a swimming pool over night and not damage the bonds or material. But it is 35% acrylic and 65% mineral so it is a higher cost material. I also use PVC and Olefin structures like Designboard from Vycom to produce cabinets on a test and experiment basis at this time.

I love the aquarium and the cabinet as well as your use of automation. Just wondered why you selected EcoTech products versus a German company like Tunze and GHL?

Hmm, that's interesting! I LOVE Corian. Just ordered a custom built recycling station for the kitchen at work built 100% in Corian. Do you have any examples of a stand built in Corian?

Well, when it comes to equipment I think Ecotech and Apex is superior to Tunze and GHL when it comes to their implementation of user friendly interfaces and IoT. I do use a lot of Tunze products though, ATO, a streamer in the sump, used to have a Tunze skimmer etc. I still have a Tunze skimmer in my nano tank. But, for my return pump I use the pinnacle of German aquarium engineering :) Abyzz pumps are fantastic!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used Klase Protein Skimmers? Not sure if they are still being made but I had several that I sold to various aquarium stores over the years and they were provided by a member of the Berlin Aquarium Society who lives in the United States. I loved the performance of the Klase and even used it on a 1600 gallon shark and ray tank I built for a customer. 60" tall and about 8" diameter as I remember. I would love to have them again as they were very efficient and durable.

OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used Klase Protein Skimmers? Not sure if they are still being made but I had several that I sold to various aquarium stores over the years and they were provided by a member of the Berlin Aquarium Society who lives in the United States. I loved the performance of the Klase and even used it on a 1600 gallon shark and ray tank I built for a customer. 60" tall and about 8" diameter as I remember. I would love to have them again as they were very efficient and durable.

No, I have never used them. Maybe Lasse here at this forum has, he has been around doing this for a long while! This skimmer though is something of a dream for me: https://reefbuilders.com/2014/06/06...ation-creates-biggest-berlin-protein-skimmer/

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
maglofster

maglofster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really love the Triton method. But I have started thinking about the refugium part. I know I run an algae reactor, but to me it equals a fuge since it's so big. I have rock solid KH/CA/MG and PH is always 8.2-8.3 day and night but, the reason for my thinking is the tanks fluctuating PO4 and NO3. I remembered the MACNA debate between Jake Adams and Julian Sprung. Jake is something of a hero to me and at 37:35 in the clip he says som really interesting things. I have always seen my fuge as a saftey net, just as the guy asking his question. But Jake says that it's just adding an extra layer of complexity.. so with some recent swings in nutrients I have started thinking..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back