Scoly care and long term

Jordyduzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once was really into scoly and maintained 6+ over 3 years of time. When they mouth is gone, that’s a for sure death signal.
S**t it was so expensive, and I'm not sure what happened everything else in the tank is flourishing and he looks dead i don't understand!

64Ivy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically come close to neglecting mine: Spot feed 2-3 times a month with a mixture of Reef Roids, Arcti-pods, Oyster Eggs, Brine Shrimp, and Coral Frenzy (seriously!). Other than that, I don't do much more than look them. Had them one and two years respectively, both Masters, and both have better health and coloration now than when I got them. Even increased in size a little.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
S**t it was so expensive, and I'm not sure what happened everything else in the tank is flourishing and he looks dead i don't understand!

@Jordyduzer How is your scoly doing? Did it recover?

I started with 4 scolys that came along with a tank I purchased from a generous reefer. That was about 14 months ago, but the previous keeper said he never fed his but unclear how long he had them. While under my care, I lost the first one after a few months. Not sure why it died..just went down hill one day and started losing tissue. I wrote it off as part of the tank move. I researched and people said it's tough and will recover. It did not. Now I'm starting to lose another one. The mouth isn't gone like yours, but I do see tissue issues around the edges where I can see the skeleton. However what IS like yours is that it seems to have developed a hole close to the middle of the coral. Again, not on the mouth...just close. I'm trying to figure out what is happening. I think this coral just didn't get enough light or flow based on it's placement.

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive kept scolymia now going on a year.... def noticed that the first few I had started to lose tissue for no apparent reason after several months. At that Time I began feeding and all have rebounded. Its my opinion that scolymia require food source for long term health. I think many people keep them for months with no issue, but the lack of food catches up and they begin to die with no apparent reason. Again just my experience, but I have multiple health scolymia that are now growing in size, and all i can attribute this success is due to feedings them (2 times weekly). I use mix of pellets and then reef chili or reef roids.

How do you prepare the food for the scoly? I have one that I want to save..... it was a beautiful piece when my husband bought it to me.

NanoJimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef roids and just mix it with my tank water. You can feed it fish food as well, but I've had better results with smaller size foods. I think the size makes it easier for them to digest. What happen to it?

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use reef roids and just mix it with my tank water. You can feed it fish food as well, but I've had better results with smaller size foods. I think the size makes it easier for them to digest. What happen to it?
It my first Scoly ... let me see if I can attach a picture ... it was beautiful but start to loose color and become skeleton , right now I seeing some flesh as I'm trying to put in on my tank on a position that does not get to much light and no current either, I been feeding him lately with Phytoplankton and observing but I don't see like a fast recovery , the mouth seems to be turning a little skeletony so i'm not aware much of many names or lango from reef world but huhhhhh the reef roids what it is? powder, frozen or liquid? let e grab a picture now to uploaded

Marie7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some pictures

20190329_013909.jpg

20190329_013933_Burst01.jpg

20190329_013915.jpg

20190329_013842.jpg

20190329_013913_Burst01.jpg

20190329_013937_Burst01.jpg

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately Hemmdog is right.. clearly dead. as in long gone for awhile since there's no flesh on the skeleton. As in lessons learned for next time, you still need flow. It keeps coral clean from junk accumulating on it. Putting anything in no-flow will just allow nasty things to settle and eventually may be harmful and kill it. IMHO

Kyuss13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my buddy 3 times a week same method shot glass , tank water but I mix in Reef Roids with a mix of Krill .

FEFB5D01-96E4-4F5D-B781-C7ACC168002E.jpeg

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious, but did you feed yours? I’ve had issues with over feeding too big a mysis and killing a mouth of a coral. Wondering if you had the same thing here.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed my scollies once per week, after dark, tentacles raised, but by broadcast, not targeting.
Scollies are a bit slower than others so when feeding them by target, they are open to some “pickers”
Like shrimp. The shrimp sometimes get carried away stealing and leave some damage.

8DFB7B64-32A4-4ACA-B673-C0D8455D8769.jpeg 5302A2B0-B0E6-4CF4-A919-02B27785970F.jpeg 19CC18E4-0751-4577-B80B-C85418CD66D9.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back