scoly help flesh receding

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't use chemical treatments on your entire tank!

Dipping before you put a coral in the tank is fine but don't do anything to an entire tank. If you start thinking about it (e.g. flatworm exit) you should ask some REALLY experienced reefer their opinion on it and how to best make it work.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to think so aboug coralrx. Till I used bayer advanced bug killer. If uve got an infestation dip on coralrx then dip in bayer and you'll see tons more stuff come off. Bayer dip even killed my redbugs eggs or prevented them from eating the corals so they starved. I had a big infestation months ago one dip and haven't seen any signs since and all corals growing and coloring up nicely.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also a side note was PE on most corals affected are much better than before they got redbugs. This is also the experiences of most who have used and posted about it

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty scared of Red Bugs. That's really one of the few parasites that actually worries me. That and acro/monti eating nudibranches.

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think AEFW is more scary and much harder to get rid of. Red bugs only affect smooth skinned corals so your mille are safe Mel :D

OP
OP
Dapple

Dapple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the scoly died. I think something is very wrong. I've had a fish fallout. 4 chromis and Tomini tang. The frogspawn killed my treebranch. I'm in a hole as far as spirit. I do believe I need eyes on tank help here . I dumped what was left of the biopellets out and half packed my reactor with carbon. Dark days indeed. It's hard to hold your head up , know what I mean. As far as treating the entire tank I don't know how to do so I wouldn't try it.

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there. Sucks bad. Carbon was a good idea. You might consider a poly filter as well. It binds some other stuff too. I put two small ones on my 120 when I had a difficulty and it seemed to help.

It'll get better. Don't worry too much. Large water change with good water, carbon, polyfilter, waiting is about all you can do.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darren don't get discouraged, I've crashed my tanks 5 times. Lost fish to carpet surfing, ick, and overdosing of ALK. Not to mention the countless corals I have lost to AEFW's, bad MH ballast, unexpected ammonia spike, gluing incompatible corals too close to each other....ETC. IMO, this hobby is never going to be a walk in the park but the amount of dedication it takes to maintain a healthy reef system is worth the beauty!

Engloid

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the scoly died. I think something is very wrong. I've had a fish fallout. 4 chromis and Tomini tang. The frogspawn killed my treebranch. I'm in a hole as far as spirit. I do believe I need eyes on tank help here . I dumped what was left of the biopellets out and half packed my reactor with carbon. Dark days indeed. It's hard to hold your head up , know what I mean. As far as treating the entire tank I don't know how to do so I wouldn't try it.

I know what you mean. Power outage the other night cost me 5 fish...which, due to size and condition, probably would have sold for about $400 at local stores. Lost: LARGE blue hippo tang (about 8in), copperband butterfly, kole tang, leutennant tang, and powder brown tang. The only fish to survive were a mandarin goby, red coris wrasse and a dragon wrasse. The dragon wrass and goby hide all the time, and the wrasse is so skittish that it hides most of the time, and buries itself about 18hrs a day...so I have a 220g tank that looks empty and without fish most of the time.

If anybody has fish they are getting rid of, I'll be looking. :(

OP
OP
Dapple

Dapple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow. Sorry to hear that Spencer. Thanks for coming over Rob. I will start a new thread on light settings.

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hearing a lot about Bayer dips but was scared to try it as it is used as an insecticide. What if you inadvertently add some to the tank? Is it really more effective than Coralrx and is less stressful to the coral being dipped?

gmoney243

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been hearing a lot about Bayer dips but was scared to try it as it is used as an insecticide. What if you inadvertently add some to the tank? Is it really more effective than Coralrx and is less stressful to the coral being dipped?

Yes it works way better for pests especially redbugs and AEFW. Read here mtrc member beating AEFW with it abd lots of us use it.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102092

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk 2

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is the only SPS dip I will ever use again. I recently purchased two Mariculture mini colonies and dipped them with ReVive, nothing came off so I placed them in quarantine. After noticing poor PE I went out and bought Bayer. I dipped both colonies in bayer and 5-7 large AEFW's fell off. After a week the second dipping revealed 0 AEFW's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its an insect killer found at local hardware stores. Here's a long detailed thread on the subject. Hate to post this link to that site bit its great info lol.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1965880

Click the link, step out to the grocery store, a jog, etc. Page will prob still be loading by the time you get back.

Have heard good things about Bayer but have yet to try it.

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.7%
Back