Scolymia help!

Sandroni

Professional Coral Bleacher
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helllooo, so I got this beautiful mint scoly from WWC yesterday and it was a little stressed showing some skeleton but after it got acquainted to my tank it expanded nicely. One problem, it doesn't want to eat! Last night I tried coral frenzy pellets with all flow off and nothing didn't take it. Today I fed my fish mysis and enough so the corals could get some too and nothing.... does it need more time? I don't want it to starve.
Thanks,
Angela​

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry about feeding it now let it acclimate to the tank. When we got ours it took about a week before it had a feeding response. Now for the past few years evey night it opens with tentacles extended. Sometimes it will extend during the day when the tank is fed but not always.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe just needs more time. I have a war paint scoly right now that can be totally closed and if I drop a couple coral frenzy pellets on it, it open up and gobbles them. Most healthy scolys should react this way. It's possible yours might be stressed still from shipping?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is always puffed up, however, I rarely see the tentacles out. I will broadcast reef roids from time to time in the evenings. Occasionally I'll see a response. I don't worry much about it.
Long term I would definitely advise feeding a scoly. Otherwise they slowly starve. It can take a very long time and suddenly they turn for the worst. My 2 cents!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term I would definitely advise feeding a scoly. Otherwise they slowly starve. It can take a very long time and suddenly they turn for the worst. My 2 cents!
I will try to target feed him when I catch the tentacles out. I have only had it a couple weeks. Thanks for the advice.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to target feed him when I catch the tentacles out. I have only had it a couple weeks. Thanks for the advice.
Chunky bits of LRS reef frenzy, Dr. G's Cavier, reef nutrition roe. Before I go to work I'll mix some with tank water and use a baster to put some directly in the tentacles. Not all the foods at the same time but just giving you options.

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chunky bits of LRS reef frenzy, Dr. G's Cavier, reef nutrition roe. Before I go to work I'll mix some with tank water and use a baster to put some directly in the tentacles. Not all the foods at the same time but just giving you options.
Do their tentacles come out at night? or both? I haven't seen mine with his tentacles out.

AJQ69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just give the scoly some acclimation time, them like everyone mentioned do a target feeding

OP
OP
Sandroni

Sandroni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just give the scoly some acclimation time, them like everyone mentioned do a target feeding
Update!! The lights are off and I glimpsed over and all the tentacles are out woooo!! I just spot feed some coral frenzy.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8077.JPG
Finally got some meaty food in my scoly this morning. He was hungry with tentacles opened up so I gave him a few brine shrimp. He was happy as he devoured them

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back