Scopas Tang with dark blotches on face and twitching

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this fish for over a year now and yesterday I noticed it has blotches all over and is twitching excessively. It is not acting normal and is hiding and not swimming around much. It is housed with a heniochus butterfly and a cleaner shrimp. I have not added anything new since I got the scopes over a year ago. I already have a new tank set up for them in an upgrade that will be ready soon, so I cannot loose this fish as it is the reason I got an upgrade. I attached some pics that show the blotches. Can someone please help me with this and identify what this could be and some treatment I can help it. All my parameters are in check.

A2EC7BAE-5AFE-4CDB-B08F-2D48D2E6AEEB.png 084CDDE5-34A0-473E-9BCA-F4F68ED87D8A.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this fish for over a year now and yesterday I noticed it has blotches all over and is twitching excessively. It is not acting normal and is hiding and not swimming around much. It is housed with a heniochus butterfly and a cleaner shrimp. I have not added anything new since I got the scopes over a year ago. I already have a new tank set up for them in an upgrade that will be ready soon, so I cannot loose this fish as it is the reason I got an upgrade. I attached some pics that show the blotches. Can someone please help me with this and identify what this could be and some treatment I can help it. All my parameters are in check.

A2EC7BAE-5AFE-4CDB-B08F-2D48D2E6AEEB.png 084CDDE5-34A0-473E-9BCA-F4F68ED87D8A.jpeg

The pictures aren't really in focus. Looks like it could be a strike injury, but I can't be sure.
Can you post a short video? Linking to YouTube often works.
When was the last time you added a new animal to this tank?
Is the tang still eating?

Jay

OP
OP
fishski13

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures aren't really in focus. Looks like it could be a strike injury, but I can't be sure.
Can you post a short video? Linking to YouTube often works.
When was the last time you added a new animal to this tank?
Is the tang still eating?

Jay

The last time I added an animal to the tank was a cleaner shrimp around April and a few turbo snails in June.

I know 100% that it ate on Wednesday and Thursday, yesterday I didn’t watch my fish after I feed them and than I just added some nori to the tank and saw it picking at it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The last time I added an animal to the tank was a cleaner shrimp around April and a few turbo snails in June.

I know 100% that it ate on Wednesday and Thursday, yesterday I didn’t watch my fish after I feed them and than I just added some nori to the tank and saw it picking at it.
Well I’m stumped! It is breathing a bit fast and the head twitching can be a symptom of flukes. The marks on the head is not however.
I only got a glimpse of the heni, but check to make sure it isn’t breathing fast also.
If it is flukes, a 5 minute FW dip might buy you some time…..
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back