OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no only one I am quarantining him right know he has not ate from day one I got him 3 days ago

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gone to get it but I have fed them so much I will feed him tomorrow hope it works
What size is the tang? Your first post made it sound like it was an inch long?

Jay

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no only one I am quarantining him right know he has not ate from day one I got him 3 days ago
Okay. Much to do here,,,

Where to begin? A fish might look like it's grazing and it's not. When they are young they stick together and if he's not doing the same behavior as others he will look sick and get picked on...

I would call the place where you got him and ask if ick or velvet or any other disease shown up. That's my 1st.

Is he being treated in quarantine? Copper? Any other Meds?

Personally, I do not quarantine. I treat ALL FISH for worms, parasites, bacteria, etc... Nothing! NOTHING! goes into my main tank without treatment! I have not bought a fish in years and all my fish are about 5 to 6 years old now. In fact, when I 1st got them they came with velvet and most survived.

Let's start off with a call to the pet shop...

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tang that small is very delicate and difficult. Is he continually grazing or at least grazing alot? Is you tank mature enough to have plentiful micro algae? You may need to offer smaller food like rotifers and a wet algae product like Hikari mega algae so the algae breaks into small pieces. There could also be a chance of internal parasites, which the treatment would be general cure. Grazing fish easily pick up internal parasites from grazing on fish poo.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tang that small is very delicate and difficult. Is he continually grazing or at least grazing alot? Is you tank mature enough to have plentiful micro algae? You may need to offer smaller food like rotifers and a wet algae product like Hikari mega algae so the algae breaks into small pieces. There could also be a chance of internal parasites, which the treatment would be general cure. Grazing fish easily pick up internal parasites from grazing on fish poo.
My thought was internal parasites also. I use Prazipro.

I assume this fish was wild caught. If so, I would treat for parasites with Prazipro or general cure. Things go south very quickly with a tang that small...

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also suggest Seaweed Extreme from Hikari. I love that my tangs love that stuff. They have a small sinking size that is great.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is an inch long I will call the pet shop tomorrow morning
I’ve never seen a scopas that small. That fish needs multiple feedings every day. Try live baby brine shrimp if you can get it, or at least dice the mysids up very small.

Jay

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus even if he wants food every time I put it in in he just runs away and hides and by the time he comes out there is nothing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He gets scared when I look at the tank

You need to observe the tang from further away and turn out the room lights (but leave the tank lights on) that way you won't frighten the fish as much.

If you take a video of it, I might be able to tell you more.

Jay

OP
OP
T

tanglover13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i moved away and he grazes but as soon as I go anywhere near the tank to put food in boom he is gone in his hide hole territory

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i moved away and he grazes but as soon as I go anywhere near the tank to put food in boom he is gone in his hide hole territory

If he is grazing then don't worry, it will just take him time, he'll also be grazing on the food that settles to bottom. As I mentioned earlier just include something small enough for him to eat. As long as he is actively grazing and you don't see stringy poo or lethargy or other signs of internal parasites, he should come around given tome.

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's he doing today?
My brown scopas tang just eats normal sinking pellets, and he's only small. Approx 2 inches if he's lucky, had him for a good 6 months
I remember he took a good 4 or 5 days to get some confidence and come out of hiding and eat from different levels of the water column
Nowadays if I walk past the room the tank he's in he swims around the front and top begging for me to come over and feed him

As others have said, keep the feed small, make sure it's not all getting eaten instantly by other fish to give him time to get some, drop the feed in then stand well back or sit on the floor away from his view to watch him

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates on this one? Did you manage with your scopas? :) I am wondering which shop sells them while they're this small...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back