Scroll saw for chalice/acan fragging?

aresangel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on dragging my chalice soon and don't have a band saw. I do have a scroll saw with new blades. I wanted to know if that would be fine? I also saw the tutorial where the person used a razor blade and hammer to frag the chalice up. I would prefer to have more control in the shape.

I am planning on adding tank water to the blade during the cut to reduce heat. Acans are far from being fragged but I would have good control to go along the edges of the heads.

Is this plausible?

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@aresangel I personally would not use a scroll saw. You should use either a coral band saw with a diamond blade that drips water while cutting.

The problem with the dremel and diamond blade is beginners usually tend to cut to hard or to long and the coral heats up then it stresses out and dies.

The bandsaw is also much safer and it cuts like a hot knife through butter. Look up some videos of inland coral saw or gryphon coral saw. Hope this helps.

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a diamond blade on the dremel and cut from the underside being careful not to tear the tissue. Dip it often in some fresh saltwater while you're cutting and take your time with it. If you leave the top tissue intact after cutting the skeleton, you can cut it carefully with an xacto knife or razor blade. I've never had a problem doing it this way.
bsa

OP
OP
A

aresangel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a member of Boston Reefer's let me use his coral band saw. I chickened out. I know without proper lubrication hear would harm it more so he convinced me to bring it over.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back