• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

SC's Ultimate Chalice Growout

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you include me on that PM bro. :). I know I'm not in this growout but I'm in Brian's other growout. Most of the guys in that other one don't seem to care that he is MIA. I guess they must be making bank. At least they will be glad to hear he is in good health and has a good full time job.

You got it bro! It looks like I'm going to have to actually go speak with an attorney when I get back to the States. I can't make out all that gibberish legal wording. I need someone to tell me what all those phases actually mean. But I guess in the mean time it gives Brian a chance to do the right thing and give the corals to someone who will actually keep their word. I will keep everybody posted. But the best I can tell from what I could understand is that someone local should file a police report with the San Diego P.D. to start the ball rolling.

CaptainRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought here guys, but if you know where he works, just call up the store and ask to speak with the owner. That'll get things fixed in short order I bet.

Good luck to you guys.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a change of ownership in the frags for this grow out. Brian has decided to step down as grower due to the business of his current life situation. I will be growing out the rest of the frags for the duration of the grow out.

Ignore the incredible Blue-Rim Coraline algae, it actually looks like that (debating fragging it and selling, lol), here are some pics.

BPC Flamethrower
BPC-2.jpg

Frozen Lava
FrozenLava.jpg

Lingerie
Lingerie-1.jpg

Tyree Orange Rainbows - right after getting them into the tank, picture for reference
OrangeRainbow.jpg

Rainbow Magic
RainbowMagic-4.jpg

The Thing
Thing.jpg

My Miami pics will come later

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for taking over. I feel so much better that someone with your experience is willing to do this for us!

CJ

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SD Actuary sent me a PM this morning with the updated status of the growout. It sounds like we've had some good growth on a few, a few that haven't changed much and one loss.

BPC Flame Thrower - Still a small one eye frag, it looks like it receded in the past
month or so, looks healed though.

Lingerie - Looking awesome, i counted 8 eyes total and its about 1.5" in diameter.

Crazy Fox - The legend has it that Brian got home one day and saw that the Crazy Fox was flipped upside down on top of the Fallen Sun of the OTHER grow out. Double Whammy there both chalices completely died.

Rainbow Magic - This doesnt look like it got bigger than last time, but it has 2 eyes now.

My Miami - This one looked awesome, I counted 7 full eyes and 1/2 eyes forming. Its about 1.5" diameter. However, Brian told me that he is going to frag this one, taking one single eye piece, basically taking back his buy in to the grow out. I have no comment about this, at least its a fully grown piece...

Frozen Lava - This one is looking rough, however it does look like it has 2 eyes.

Tyree Orange Rainbow - I counted 14 polyps, they look awesome, I will re-plug these tomorrow, and see if there are some easy cut lines to get, i will frag it into some even-as-possible frags.

The Thing - This one is still looking good, maybe a little loss of color from the last time i saw it, still one large eye, same exact size pretty much, i guess its a slow one.

CJ

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from work and took a look at the frags.

The Lingerie is looking BAD, i have no idea what happened, but the flesh is peeling from the edges, There is about 90% of the flesh left, but its scary to look at. I have no idea what happened.

I will keep you guys posted....

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other chalice (and tyree orange rainbows) look exactly like the above pictures, the Lingerie and the Shocker (from other grow out) are the only ones looking rough.

My procedure when i received them from Brian was to drip acclimate them for about 30-45 minutes, and any of the ones that were overgrowing the plug were re-plugged onto a large disc (i did not have to cut flesh, they just popped right off the frag plugs). After the drip i placed them underneath my frag rack out of direct light, and shaded by a few rocks which i set on top of the frag rack. I dimmed my lights to 40% of what they currently were to ease them into the new lights. Water parameters were (as of last night):

Calcium - 440
pH - 8.2
Alk - 10.2
Mag - 1440
Temp - 77/78
Phos ~ 0
trate ~ 0
trite ~ 0

Two only two things i can think of are the "shock" from moving from Brians water into my water, whatever that shock could have been...The other thing would have been too much light, even though they were all shaded and i completely ramped the lights down.

I will keep you guys posted daily.

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home to check the chalices and they look the same.

I also did a few tests on the containers of water that I had from Brian. Which found something interesting. I did each test 3 times to be sure

Alk - 8.4
Calcium - 410
Magnesium - 700 (to the best of my ability on testing this, it was below the charts, i had to reload with the reagent and keep titrating to get the final end point)

I am wondering if this massive Magnesium shock is what is causing this....

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium would definitely do that to several pieces. Luckily it wasn't an alk swing. Those can be deadlier. I'm glad you got the pieces back guys. SD, you are the man! Keep up the great work and props to you for taking on so much responsibility. It really sucks that they were neglected like that and I hope they all turn around and do better. Good luck!

SD Actuary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The frags seem to have stopped dying...which is good. It does look like most of them basically look us back in time about 3 months. It kills me inside to post pictures of them, but i will try to get them up before the weekend.

OP
OP
CJO

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you keeping us updated, regardless of whether it's good news or not.

CJ

fsn77

Dad of 2 future hobbyists
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any news is good news considering how things have went...
Thank you for stepping in and doing what you can to finish this out!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back