SCTLD last resort treatment

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? interesting. Ok, I think Im gonna bump down my Amoxicillin down further to 0.3 mg/L then and keep my cipro the same. Rn I think its too late for me to halt, worse case scenario a anti-biotic resistant SCTLD :dizzy-face:

OP
OP
S

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update post ciprofloxacin treatment. Although I won't have my Aquabiomics test back for 6 weeks, I see substantial improvements in numerous colonies. New growth, improved colors, obvious increased health, etc. Clearly the treatment had a positive effect.

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Any update on that aquabiomics test? Hoping the antibiotics have a chance of eradicating SCTLD or it’s bad news…!

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Amazing, and Cipro was the only antibiotic you used? That’s a very good finding for this community that shouldn’t be overlooked, you may be the first case of confirmed SCTLD eradication in one of our tanks!

Marinexx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your experience. I have seen antibiotic anaphylaxis (under general anesthesia, to boot) and it's not something I would recommend.
Practice matters and informs but it also misses important information.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Planktotella may be easier to deal with than the others which require amoxicillin. Also, my microbiome was pretty much wrecked by the treatment (although coral growth skyrocketed).

Thanks for this! Do you have a before-treatment report?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the bacterial community was changed very little from the cipro treatment itself.
(Left before, right after)
20230530_191408-COLLAGE.jpg

OP
OP
S

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The tank is less than a year old so the bacterial population is not very diverse. Lots and lots of bacterioplankton, though.

ss88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Amoxicillin is very hard on some corals, although I do not understand why. If you can make it to 7 days, it'll decrease your chances of persistent bacteria. If things look bad, huge water change and cross your fingers.

I'm actually concerned about shrimp, snails, crabs, and hermits coming out of Florida. SCTLD is known to reside in sediment where a lot of these organisms live. One option might be to quarantine and send an Aquabiomics test for new clean up crew.

I got my new Aquabiomics test kit this week, so I should be able to get it in the mail by Monday.
I suspect infection from inverts is a serious possibility! Can’t say for certain but I suspect something is transpiring from a recent introduction of quarantined inverts. All inverts Quarantined in fish less, coral less system for 65 days at 83f. Four weeks after introduction, started experiencing stn in one species of encrusting corals. All specimens (5) of this coral species are experiencing tissue loss symptoms in this system, and to reaffirm its likely bacterial or water chemistry related, the specimens are spread out over 3 different tanks on the same system. ICP is being sent out Monday. Last ICP was 4 weeks ago and was very normal.

Sctld from what i read is very species specific. Also microbiology of corals is very specific as well. Tank was without issue for nearly one year.

Already started treatment with erythromycin. If no improvements in 24hrs, will proceed with Cipro and Amoxicillin. Didn’t have time to test main system with aquabiomics. Fortunately the quarantine Aquarium still contains invertebrates from original florida source. So I do plan on testing that system.

If this is in fact an introduction from florida inverts, I’m perplexed what should be done to quarantine livestock. Prophylactic antibiotic treatment?

LimestoneCowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect infection from inverts is a serious possibility! Can’t say for certain but I suspect something is transpiring from a recent introduction of quarantined inverts. All inverts Quarantined in fish less, coral less system for 65 days at 83f. Four weeks after introduction, started experiencing stn in one species of encrusting corals. All specimens (5) of this coral species are experiencing tissue loss symptoms in this system, and to reaffirm its likely bacterial or water chemistry related, the specimens are spread out over 3 different tanks on the same system. ICP is being sent out Monday. Last ICP was 4 weeks ago and was very normal.

Sctld from what i read is very species specific. Also microbiology of corals is very specific as well. Tank was without issue for nearly one year.

Already started treatment with erythromycin. If no improvements in 24hrs, will proceed with Cipro and Amoxicillin. Didn’t have time to test main system with aquabiomics. Fortunately the quarantine Aquarium still contains invertebrates from original florida source. So I do plan on testing that system.

If this is in fact an introduction from florida inverts, I’m perplexed what should be done to quarantine livestock. Prophylactic antibiotic treatment?

I have suspected exactly that as well and plan on doing a AB dip next time I order snails from Florida or maybe try to get them from pacific. There are so many coral diseases in that region it seems like this should be a foregone conclusion. It would be interesting if anyone has run an aquabiomics test from say the Florida Keys. I wonder if Eli would have access. I hope you are able to tackle it!

OP
OP
S

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It depends on the species (one or multiple) that you end up with. In my most recent brush, I had Planktotella which responded to ciprofloxacin at 1 mg/gallon daily at lights out for 10 days. 4 weeks later, Aquabiomics was negative for SCTLD.

If you have one of the nastier varieties (Niola, Nautella, etc.), amoxicillin would be the drug of choice. If you add kanamycin (as some studies do), you may get an improved response. I currently go for fairly low dose amoxicillin + kanamycin at 1-2 mg/gallon (each) divided over 10 days. I think sneaking up on your max dose is much better tolerated than trying to hammer the pathogens on day 1 (as I did previously). Unlike ciprofloxacin, amoxicillin has a pretty decent half life in reef tank water, so water changes + carbon at the end of treatment is probably reasonable.

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have one of the nastier varieties (Niola, Nautella, etc.), amoxicillin would be the drug of choice. If you add kanamycin (as some studies do), you may get an improved response. I currently go for fairly low dose amoxicillin + kanamycin at 1-2 mg/gallon (each) divided over 10 days. I think sneaking up on your max dose is much better tolerated than trying to hammer the pathogens on day 1 (as I did previously). Unlike ciprofloxacin, amoxicillin has a pretty decent half life in reef tank water, so water changes + carbon at the end of treatment is probably reasonable.

Could I ask where you got these dosages from? To be clear, when you say “1MG/gallon divided over 10 days” do you mean, 40 gallons of water = a dose of a 40mg /10 so 4mg a day? Sorry if I’m being obtuse.

OP
OP
S

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I ask where you got these dosages from? To be clear, when you say “1MG/gallon divided over 10 days” do you mean, 40 gallons of water = a dose of a 40mg /10 so 4mg a day? Sorry if I’m being obtuse.
Sorry, my wording was not great. 1-2 mg/gallon given daily for ten days.

So for a theoretical 40 gallon aquarium, that would be 40-80 mg/day with a cumulative dose after 10 days of 400 - 800 mg.

Jajo1390

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, my wording was not great. 1-2 mg/gallon given daily for ten days.

So for a theoretical 40 gallon aquarium, that would be 40-80 mg/day with a cumulative dose after 10 days of 400 - 800 mg.
Out of curiosity, did you dose the whole tank? And did you experience another cycle afterwords?

OP
OP
S

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, did you dose the whole tank? And did you experience another cycle afterwords?
I did dose the whole tank and there was no cycle afterwards. Amoxicillin has a reasonably limited spectrum unless you add clavulanic acid to it to make Augmentin.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back