Scully flesh melting!

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A while back I had white Marks on my scully, but it's been healthy. Now hes taken a bad turn!!! Please check out the below link for more info. I dont want to lose him!!

Alk 6.9

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed anemone pellets, or specific LPS pellets twice a week.

Increase Alk to 8.5 (needs to be above 7.5 as mentioned by @IKD)

Post the following water parameters aswell:

Calcium
PO4
Salinity
Magnesium

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk seems low. I would raise above 7.5. They prefer low light and low flow.

What Type of food are you feeding?

Mysis. The high protein Canadian stuff. I mostly broadcast these days and did notice earlier in the week that his feeding response is so dang slow that most food is gone before he gets a chance. I'm honestly thinking I'm starving the poor guy. Had a GHA outbreak (stupid story) and have cut all feedings in half for the past 3 weeks trying to clean the tank up.

Is this a sign of a starving Scolymia? I noticed there were even holes where I could see his feeding tentacles. I'm a terrible person right now..

Just spot fed him along with aminos and he responded to that. Have my WC station heating up RN (been mixing for 2 days) and adding some baking soda to boost alk a bit extra.

Hes at approx 200par under Kessils. Same spot hes been in since I got him (3-4mths?). I dont want to move him too much, but could find a home with around 150 if needed, but will require some heavy scape adjustments

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if the lighting is too strong for it. I usually have mine at or under 150 With low flow. If you think it’s starving, you could also use fish eggs to mix up the food type.

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed anemone pellets, or specific LPS pellets twice a week.

Increase Alk to 8.5 (needs to be above 7.5 as mentioned by @IKD)

Post the following water parameters aswell:

Calcium
PO4
Salinity
Magnesium

Sorry on delay, been busy testing

Calcium- 444 via hanna
PO4- .01ppm via hanna
Salinity- 1.027 via Milwaukee
Magnesium I didnt check because it's always 1300 +- 5. Last check was a month ago and approx 4 20% water changes

In the past 30 days I have started dosing aminos, stopped dosing alk (moving hardware and havnt set up dosing pumps again), reduced feeding to approx half, and for the past 6 weeks have been dosing vibrant to get rid of the GHA

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry on delay, been busy testing

Calcium- 444 via hanna
PO4- .01ppm via hanna
Salinity- 1.027 via Milwaukee
Magnesium I didnt check because it's always 1300 +- 5. Last check was a month ago and approx 4 20% water changes

In the past 30 days I have started dosing aminos, stopped dosing alk (moving hardware and havnt set up dosing pumps again), reduced feeding to approx half, and for the past 6 weeks have been dosing vibrant to get rid of the GHA

Sorry your having issues with your scoly, they can be somewhat difficult keep especially long term so don't beat yourself up to bad.. do you know your nitrates? Looks like you need to get your nutrients up a little so my advice is to keep your alk in the mid to low 7's for now.

OP
OP
Passedyouby

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. Nothing worse than realizing you are the cause of obvious distress within the tank.

Considering I have a dozen other happy LPS in the tank I'm starting to believe more and more that this is an issue with nutrition and lighting. I 100% agree alk is too low and will be helping that today with that high alk WC and getting my dosers back online.

This morning (after a fat feeding and a 5% lighting reduction yesterday) I'm pleased to say hes looking much less like a starving alleycat. Will post an update tomorrow with images!!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back