Sea Apple update

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to a couple people over there. I haven't tried the pastes yet, just running through things now, but I did give the phyto-feast a shot. While it worked, I didn't get the pure amount of food I'm getting with this

Hello @keddre. Thanks for giving us a try. I'm curious to know why you say you weren't getting a "pure amount of food" with our Phyto-Feast? I hope to hear from you. Keep in mind that Phyto-Feast contains 6 species of algae, and in aquaculture, variety means everything. Each cell has it's own nutritional profile and distinct characteristics, so they end up complimenting each other. Our SDaquarist is a more ideal food for Holothuroids. In fact, our Shellfish Diet (3 times as concentrated as SDaquarist with the same species composition) has been called a break through diet for sea cucumber aquaculture. I've attached a paper that corroborates this. SDaquarist information is here: http://apbreed.com/product_sdaquarist.php

They can be a bit pricey too for a small tank (sorry chad)
A few frozen mixes have some of what you want as well.
Nitrima ova is one, if I hadn't mentioned it.
Indeed it to my x mas tree worms and nps and my mandarin.

Hey Jason. It may seem expensive but you are getting 42.18 grams of algae per 6oz. bottle of Phyto-Feast, plus there are 6 species per bottle. That's 0.42cents per gram in our product versus 2 grams of algae per bottle at $9.22 per gram for another leading supplier. The thread is here for more information: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-education.296530/

Attachments

• Algae paste breakthrough in sandfish culture.pdf
    198.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
m curious to know why you say you weren't getting a "pure amount of food" with our Phyto-Feast?
Let me rephrase it: when I feed 50 ml of the new solution that I'm using, the apple shows a feeding response longer then they did with the phyto-feast.

If it makes up, I'm moving to the algae-pastes on my next shipment; I still have a list of foods to try.

SDaquarist is a more ideal food for Holothuroids. In fact, our Shellfish Diet
I'll add both of these to said list, as I've never heard of them.

Edit: Just googled Shellfish diet and it's actually the paste I was eyeing. Pays to google before responding, thanks again
Also, sorry to ask a question here but is that particular blend freezer safe (and if not,) could I just add glycerine without compromising the integrity?

Last edited:

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me rephrase it: when I feed 50 ml of the new solution that I'm using, the apple shows a feeding response longer then they did with the phyto-feast.

If it makes up, I'm moving to the algae-pastes on my next shipment; I still have a list of foods to try.

I'll add both of these to said list, as I've never heard of them.

Edit: Just googled Shellfish diet and it's actually the paste I was eyeing. Pays to google before responding, thanks again
Also, sorry to ask a question here but is that particular blend freezer safe (and if not,) could I just add glycerine without compromising the integrity?

Our Shellfish Diet can't be frozen. The Isochrysis and Pavlova cells don't handle freezing. Not sure about the glycerine technique for that. You could always try it, but you would need a microscope to see if the cells can handle it.

Good luck with your apple!

Chad

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our Shellfish Diet can't be frozen. The Isochrysis and Pavlova cells don't handle freezing. Not sure about the glycerine technique for that. You could always try it, but you would need a microscope to see if the cells can handle it.

Good luck with your apple!

Chad
thanks and you will probably hear from me again in a couple week when I put my next order together :)

SouL_Shaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought phytoplankton for my apples. Shall I pour the plankton's while lights on or off?

Also I was wondering would they sense there are plankton's in the water ?

Shall I turn off the ps and circulation pumps while I pour plankton's?

Thanks

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shall I pour the plankton's while lights on or off?

Personal choice. I think that I read nighttime is natural, but I do it during the daytime so that I can watch/see

Also I was wondering would they sense there are plankton's in the water ?

Yup. They'll smell it

Shall I turn off the ps and circulation pumps while I pour plankton's?

Yes to skimmer and no to pumps. Give the skimmer an hour or so break so that they can eat.

Final words: I don't personally care, but be careful along personal questions on other's threads. Let us know how it works

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello @keddre. Thanks for giving us a try. I'm curious to know why you say you weren't getting a "pure amount of food" with our Phyto-Feast? I hope to hear from you. Keep in mind that Phyto-Feast contains 6 species of algae, and in aquaculture, variety means everything. Each cell has it's own nutritional profile and distinct characteristics, so they end up complimenting each other. Our SDaquarist is a more ideal food for Holothuroids. In fact, our Shellfish Diet (3 times as concentrated as SDaquarist with the same species composition) has been called a break through diet for sea cucumber aquaculture. I've attached a paper that corroborates this. SDaquarist information is here: http://apbreed.com/product_sdaquarist.php

Hey Jason. It may seem expensive but you are getting 42.18 grams of algae per 6oz. bottle of Phyto-Feast, plus there are 6 species per bottle. That's 0.42cents per gram in our product versus 2 grams of algae per bottle at $9.22 per gram for another leading supplier. The thread is here for more information: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/algae-education.296530/
Hey bud. Hard to list a full explanation really, but may be a good time for a question for my friend the expert.
And yea, your quality can't be beat really. With every penny.

This is a specific application.
Tagged ya here.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/55-gallon-softie-to-nps-filter-feeder-tank-build.322954/

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back