Sea Hare Care

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to being unable of finding great Sea Hare care guides online (I did find one but even it was lacking on information and had some bad info), I decided to write my own with intense googling, scholaring and personal experience. It should be noted that this guide is about Dolabella auricularia, the one most popular in the trade for hair algae. At some point I will make a youtube video -and a channel in that case-.

Please let me know if their as anything you disagree with, would like added, etc.

Since I am an avid reader and researcher, I am willing to write up guides on other inverts or fish.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y4cvZBnzQyVo_UNV_uHueUQD6PbU3W7FAXdM2kwFtmY/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

Gweeds1980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to being unable of finding great Sea Hare care guides online (I did find one but even it was lacking on information and had some bad info), I decided to write my own with intense googling, scholaring and personal experience. It should be noted that this guide is about Dolabella auricularia, the one most popular in the trade for hair algae. At some point I will make a youtube video -and a channel in that case-.

Please let me know if their as anything you disagree with, would like added, etc.

Since I am an avid reader and researcher, I am willing to write up guides on other inverts or fish.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y4cvZBnzQyVo_UNV_uHueUQD6PbU3W7FAXdM2kwFtmY/edit?usp=sharing
Great stuff... now if you could do one for the red feather star I've just bought that'd be grand ;)

Jisko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our sea hare split after about 2 weeks in my fathers tank :\ We got it because of a bad hair algae outbreak. Sadly I think it might of ate itself to death...

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff... now if you could do one for the red feather star I've just bought that'd be grand ;)
Although I never kept one, I might as well look into since I have free time this week

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one , it died shortly after eating all the hair algae in tank. They are a eating machine.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30g is a bit on the small side for a seahare. Unless the tank has a dedicated algae supply, it should be 100+g if just for grazing or nuisance algae control.

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30g is a bit on the small side for a seahare. Unless the tank has a dedicated algae supply, it should be 100+g if just for grazing or nuisance algae control.

Just Clarified that exactly as you wrote it. In my mind, I was suggesting that size because of how large they get

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread but does anyone know if a sea hare would work in a 45 gallon with a valentini puffer? So far he has picked at both of my shrimp (he left them alone after a while), ate at least 3 hermit crabs, ate my fighting conch, and tries to pick at my nassarius snails whenever he gets the chance (none have been seriously hurt yet thankfully). The guys at the LFS said it would be fine, but I have serious doubts. Would it be big enough that he wouldn’t bother it or would it not be worth the risk? My hair algae problem is getting out of hand and I have a feeling that turbo snails wouldn’t last a day with him.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the article! BTW D. auricularia does not obtain 1 foot (whether in captivity or in the wild). Dolabella is a genus of smaller aplysiids which usually max out at about 6-7 inches with several species in the 2-4 inch range. Also I PMed you for a related topic

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A seahare will starve relatively quickly in a 45g. However, it may not get that chance with a puffer in the tank. Puffers are intelligent, curious fish that explore their surroundings with their sharp, powerful jaws. It would not be a good mix.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back