Sea Lettuce May Have Been My Savior!

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little back story first, so that you see why I'm correlating my recent success with sea lettuce. But if you want, you can skip to the end!

I had been battling a diatom outbreak that I couldn't beat. It's a long story, but let's just say it had been going on for about 5 months and killed a bunch of my coral. No matter what I did, nothing impacted the diatom outbreak. I was at a point where I was cleaning the sand 3-4 times a week. It was becoming depressing. I put tons and tons of work into this and nothing made a difference.

While this had been going on I was also trying to grow chaeto in my refugium on 3 separate occasions. The first time the chaeto died in 2 weeks. It turned transparent and eventually started to get brown so I threw it out. After doing some research I decided the refugium light I had was bad at growing algae. When I saw it go on sale I bought the Kessil H380 Halo II. I figured if it didn't grow this time, then it couldn't possibly be the light source :) So, I tried chaeto again. I guess the kessil worked too well because the refugium filled up with hair algae faster than I could take it out. The chaeto became slimy and basically choked out from the hair algae and died again! So, for the next month of so, I played a game of cleaning the hair algae from the refugium.

When another month passed of no noticeable hair algae in the refugium (but the diatoms were still killing me in the display tank) I decided to try and grow chaeto again, but this time I added sea lettuce too. In two weeks, half the chaeto died (became slimy and brown and decreased greatly in size), but the sea lettuce expanded like crazy. I didn't measure it the first time, but I would say it increased 5-10 times in size. I removed the dead chaeto and all the extra sea lettuce. I also noticed that the diatom outbreak was stopping. I don't know if it was coincidental timing or the sea lettuce, but the sea lettuce was the only thing new I did to the tank. Two more weeks passed and the sea lettuce grew by 12 times in size and the diatoms have completely stopped. It's amazing, I spent months and months cleaning and fighting them and growing sea lettuce was the only thing that helped! As a side note, the chaeto isn't dead but it hasn't grown :)

TL/DR;
- After 5 months of fighting diatoms, 2 weeks of sea lettuce nearly eliminated them, and after 4 weeks I see no diatoms anymore
- Sea lettuce is growing 10x it's size in 2 weeks with the Kessil H380 Halo II
- Chaeto just continues to die on me

Questions:
- What would make sea lettuce thrive and chaeto die?
- Anyone else have success in eliminating diatoms with sea lettuce?
- Is it all coincidence and the sea lettuce did nothing? :)

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Great! Where did you get the Sea Lettuce?

Sorry for the delay, I was traveling.
I got the Sea Lettuce from Algae Barn online. The Chaeto I got at the local fish store. My next order with Algae Barn I'll add chaeto. Maybe it's just the place I was buying it from.

Pics as requested

20171221_152751.jpg

20171221_152723.jpg

Monkeytank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried growing ulva a couple of times with my cheato and didn't have any luck keeping the ulva going. My chaeto grew like crazy. I'd like to get the ulva going because copepods seem to really like it, or at least like living in it. Did you get any insight as to why your ulva was growing? I'd like to try again, but it would be nice to have some idea of how to try to make it more successful.

bluewill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interested in how your diatom problem is presently doing , has it stopped alltogether , or just reduced ,
also , Are you sure it was diatoms and not dino's ?
thanks

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
loving this thread SAME SITUATION with chaeto. dint get why its not growing. so weird. q jist keeps melting or strangled but nuisance algae. ok submitting order now
2015b5173e32a30fb5aa322e7c1790ae.jpg

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it, ok its got a crazy odor wooooo.. haha. trying to figure out how to attach to something i just put some rubble on the bigger pieces. cant figure out those of you that are doing triton keep your macro from clogging up where the rmfuge outflow is. triton flow its hard to keep in one spot for sure.
so we will see. dt is diatoms despite blacking out for 3 days. fuge has pita algae and a good hunk of chaeto which im not sure is growing or melting.

1f9949140e93fc739715377106edb863.jpg

Last edited:

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need a low flow area or it will drift all over. I tried some but just too much flow in my sump. Fish like it when the return pump spits some up top.

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope this crap is melting away turning clear. and pita algae is growing on its fringes. i dont know what the heck is going on. startung ti get frustrated
d95a20d148bd50c2a09970a84fad148b.jpg
ba12c27c84ccb14c5794a8a85fb3c013.jpg

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just tried some in my trigger sump. Goes in the middle section. That section spills over into the return section. All the sea lettuce got sucked into the overflow teeth and blocked the water flow to the 3rd chamber. Would have like to try it as my chaeto won’t grow but I would need a way to keep it corralled.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nope this crap is melting away turning clear. and pita algae is growing on its fringes. i dont know what the heck is going on. startung ti get frustrated

Send me your order number and we will get you some reshipped in big big big sheets

OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interested in how your diatom problem is presently doing , has it stopped alltogether , or just reduced ,
also , Are you sure it was diatoms and not dino's ?
thanks

I still have sea lettuce in my refugium and never had the diatoms or dinos come back. Got other things like cyano, bryotpis, green hair algae, but no dinos or diatoms :)

Being a little more experienced now, I definitely had a mix of dinos and diatoms. It wasn't just diatoms.

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hair algae is already established enough to out compete the sea lettuce. Try removing as much hair algae as possible along with a huge water change and with a clean sump then try the lettuce algae.

rob safron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convinced some systems are not meant to grow Macro’s. I tried everything and even spent the $300 on the H380. Finally just gave up a couple weeks ago and converted to Zeovit. I’m done trying to grow Macro.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Convinced some systems are not meant to grow Macro’s. I tried everything and even spent the $300 on the H380. Finally just gave up a couple weeks ago and converted to Zeovit. I’m done trying to grow Macro.

Rob, what are your nitrates and phosphates at? I know you can be successful here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back