Sea Squirt Hitchhikers

AlfredE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have three of what appear to be a type of red sea squirt that came along with some new live rock (they look very similar to what the FSU Coastal and Marine Laboratory web site describes as a "Red log tunicate"). From what I've read it seems they do not generally do well in aquariums, but I would like to give them the best chance I can. They've been in my tank only for a week. From what I've also read, the tank is smaller (55 gal) than recommended when attempting to keep them. On top of this the tank is only 2 months old but is cycled. No fish, live rock only at this point and no NH3 spike with the new live rock but have had difficulty keeping nitrate below 10 - 15 (have been doing 15 -20% weekly water changes and set up a DIY reactor with 1.25L Seachem Denitrate three weeks ago). For the squirts I've been feeding Coral Reefing's "Green Phyto" (N. oculata) which is all my LFS had. What I've been able to find on the web about caring for them is fairly vague for the most part. Seems like it may be a long shot but they are still alive so far, and apart from dealing with the nitrates, any tips about feeding/care that might help keep them that way?

SeaSquirt_5.jpg

tenten900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wanted to get some sea squirt or tunicates. I would try feeding them some kz sponge power. I used it to feed my black vase sponge and it works from what I can tell. My sponge basically double in size after feeding it a couple of weeks. I always wanted to try it with a tunicate but never found any available around me or online.

Back