Seachem nitrate test vs API

Beezwax404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three different API nitrate tests unexpired and they all read 20ppm and its gotten as high as 40. Ive been doing water changes like crazy on my 29gal bc with 20gal sump. Im changing about 2 gal every day. My API test kit (all 3) read 20ppm nitrate this morning and then amazon brings my seachem test and it looks like its showing around 2-3ppm. In the picture the top one is the 10ppm control and the bottom one is my DT water. Ita hard to tell in pic but the bottom one is considerably lighter so its at least less than 10ppm but 3 API tests shows a definite 20ppm.

Is the API test just bunk? Does anyone else have this problem? With the API i do the 30 sec and one minute shakes every time.
::frustrated::
20200212_102215.jpg

I have one small 1.5" clownfish and one small 1.5" YWG and about a 2.5 inch mandarin in my tank. I feed three times a day a huge variety of food (spirulina brine, reef caviar, v2o coral food, mysis) because im always worried about the mandarin getting enough to eat. So i am kind of amazed that my nitrates would be this low. I run 2 100ml bags of purigen, 6 tablespoons of seachem carbon and about 3 tablespoons of phosguard with a softball sized chunk of chaeto in the sump.

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API does not make a very good test kit IMO and very susceptible to human error... I trust my Red Sea kit as I think testing with such a small water volume works against you and those trays tend to stain quickly.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back