Seachem Tidal 110 Filter

smalltownuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I saw on MULTIPLE places like YouTube, reviews, Amazon ratings, etc. that the Tidal HOB Filter is the best, or one of the best filters on the market. I bought it, and it seems to be doing its job, however that dang blue pop-up to tell you to clean the filter just stays up. Looking at its "tech" on how it works, its just a plastic toggle that floats up when water gets in its reservoir, implying that the filter is dirty and not draining water correctly, hence needs a cleaning. I have cleaned that thing at least 5 times, and it still floats. I even got frustrated with constantly having to grab aquarium water to rinse it in, so I took a hose to it and blasted water through every little thing in it. I took it completely apart, hosed off each item in it (the sponge filter, the filter fabric, and the matrix rocks for bacteria growth), and then because I used sink water to do that, I soaked it in aquarium water with Seachem Stability and Prime to remove the chlorine and other chemicals from the tap water to make sure it was safe to go back in the display tank. I scrubbed inside and out the entire filter components (inside the container itself, as well as the removable part of the container). I cant get it any more clean than it already is, and that dang blue sensor still pops up. At this point I feel like I must have something installed incorrectly, because as soon as I turn the filter back on and it starts to suck in water, water gets into that little reservoir and makes the sensor float up again. I dont know if there is a leak from the actual white container to where that reservoir is, or what, but I cant figure it out. Anybody know whats going on, or has experienced this and know what my problem is?

Additional information that might cause it but I dont know why? I have 2 sponges in it to pick up the bigger debris, I have a small amount of filter fabric in it, enough to thinly cover the area of the container, and them I got the Seachem Matrix rocks to add surface area for bacteria, and I have that on the top of the filter, so that the "newly filtered water" flows through it, and then back in to the tank. The pouch with the matrix in it is sitting about level to overflow part of the container where the water comes back out, but its just a little lower so that it is completely covered with water before the water drains back out. There is nothing else in the filter, so I dont know what it would be. The pouch was my first guess, but it sits lower than the reservoir that collects water, so it shouldnt be causing water to get into that area making the sensor float up.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea -- I run Tidal 110 and have never seen that blue float piece stick up but, honestly, I don't pay much attention to it.

My only suggestion would be to pull all of the sponges/media out for a short run and see if that makes any difference, just in case your extra sponge has any bearing here.

FWIW, I run in Tidal 110, bottom to top:
1. Included sponge
2. Cut to fit dual-density pond filter material (cheapie roll on Amazon)
3. OCCASIONALLY a bag of ROX carbon
4. Included bag of Matrix (pumice?)

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea -- I run Tidal 110 and have never seen that blue float piece stick up but, honestly, I don't pay much attention to it.

My only suggestion would be to pull all of the sponges/media out for a short run and see if that makes any difference, just in case your extra sponge has any bearing here.

FWIW, I run in Tidal 110, bottom to top:
1. Included sponge
2. Cut to fit dual-density pond filter material (cheapie roll on Amazon)
3. OCCASIONALLY a bag of ROX carbon
4. Included bag of Matrix (pumice?)
Yeah thats almost exactly what is in mine. I bought more of the sponge material and cut to shape and threw that in with the rest of what I listed, but the rocks stuck out a bit high and I thought thats what caused the sensor to pop up, so I took the second sponge out to lower the rocks but its still happening. I also took our the carbon because I used it before and ran into some issues with it

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ What Eric said. The media in the basket is slowing down the water trying to get pushed through, so some of it bypasses the basket and goes out that channel that the blue plunger is in. It's not really hurting anything, just a little water bypassing is all.

Or maybe the filter is not sitting level.

OP
OP
S

smalltownuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or...You could just use a piece of Gorilla tape. It's black, no one will ever know.
Haha ok, if theres no harm to it thats fine. I just wanted to make sure the filter wasnt actually dirty. It was driving me nuts. If its fine, and just stuck up I dont care. I clean it every week or two anyway so Im not worried about the filter actually being dirty if thats all it is

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update -- decided to check mine and the indicator thing was actually crooked and jammed stuck in down position.

Broke it loose and now it's UP so I guess I have the same situation as you but not going to worry about it. (If it makes any difference, I'd guess that I'm running around 50-75% of full power on the pump)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back