Seahorse safe urchins????

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a urchin in my invert tank and I find it interesting,, so I was wondering if there’s any urchins that are seahorse safe. I’m afraid if a pony tries to wrap tail on it would it get hurt to point it could cause tail rot
Any thoughts from the seahorse old timers on this subject. Urchins are great cleaners

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think pencil urchins are okay? They’re not sharp at all and very small. I’ve gone diving and seen pencil urchins and horses within a few feet of each other, I don’t think they’d cause any damage but I’ve never kept the two together in aquaria. Hopefully someone who has will chime in!

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a urchin in my tank, 3 things: they bulldoze your aquascape; they consume coraline algae, they poop sandy detritus.
If barebottom tank be prepared to siphon weekly

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some seahorses don't mind cleaner shrimp, but there are numerous cases of seahorses being stressed out due to the unwanted attention that usually happens.
In my case, it didn't last long anyway as my reidi tore the cleaner apart and ate the pieces.

cassilyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some seahorses don't mind cleaner shrimp, but there are numerous cases of seahorses being stressed out due to the unwanted attention that usually happens.
In my case, it didn't last long anyway as my reidi tore the cleaner apart and ate the pieces.
LOL okay then no cleaner shrimp. I'll stick with my peppermint shrimp Thanks!

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seahorses love cleaner shrimp? I'd love to have some cleaner shrimp but want to make sure they are seahorse safe.
It was nice but a huge huge problem happened,, my cleaner shrimp got so big (could of put them on a plate with cocktail sauce) that they started breaking the outer skeletal that seahorses have and caused me to lose 4 ponies in a week until I figured out it was the CS doing it.. needless to say I evicted them ASAP, as nothing more important than my ponies

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkout this website, Alyssa has a whole section on inverts compatible with seahorses

gbreeden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost two seahorses to a pencil urchin - I should have removed it after the first but waited too long. The first was trapped with the tip of it’s tail in the mouth, but still alive, but died a day later. I just found my second fatality completely dead with the urchin munching away.

They were fine together for about 6 months but guess the urchin figured out what to do when they latched on as a hitching post.

I would think pencil urchins are okay? They’re not sharp at all and very small. I’ve gone diving and seen pencil urchins and horses within a few feet of each other, I don’t think they’d cause any damage but I’ve never kept the two together in aquaria. Hopefully someone who has will chime in!

thecodingart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just lost two seahorses to a pencil urchin - I should have removed it after the first but waited too long. The first was trapped with the tip of it’s tail in the mouth, but still alive, but died a day later. I just found my second fatality completely dead with the urchin munching away.

They were fine together for about 6 months but guess the urchin figured out what to do when they latched on as a hitching post.

I’m slightly curious if they’d be fine with tuxedo urchins considering how small they are in comparison.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back