Seahorse tank.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very excited to receive my 18 gallon and cabinet from Cadlights this week.
This will be home to two Hipocampi a gobi and a filefish as well as some soft corals macro algae and a few mushrooms and ricordia.
Also ordered the Cadlights PLS Pro 50 Skimmer which I installed on my IM 30 long to break in. So far very impressed with it.
Beautifull tank and love the large rear compartment.
The light that I ordered did not match the one received and Cadlights agreed to take it back.For now will be using some old IM Skye light to get it started but the AI Prime looks to be a future purchase.
The only problem I had was that there are no instructions for assembling the cabinet!!!
I had the same problem with my Elos 37 midi but found some pictures of what it's supposed to look like and managed to build it.
Luckily, years of building IKEA furniture for my house office etc. proved to be the experience I needed.
Had a few spare bits and screws left but it looks ok.
The cabinet is very sturdy and looks well sealed.
Plan is to cycle next. Hawaiian black sand and Reef rock branches with Dr Tim's one and only.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool! Following!

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg

Update. Now Busy cycling. Approximately 8 lbs of live Pukani Rock and Dr Tim's one and only.
I also added approximately half gallon of Marine pure balls in the two chambers in the back.
It seems to be cycling well and now converting to 0 nitrite and Amonia in 48 hrs from 3 ppm added.
The horses will be coming from Pisces pets ( Calgary)
First stock will be a Clownface goby currently in quarantine.
Still not decided on the exact type of seahorse and reading lots right now!
The PLS skimmer is finally starting to skim solidly in the back of my 30 Nuvo and will move over as soon as it's needed.
I also got an Intank media basket which did not fit. I trimmed the silicone in the chamber with a blade and then sanded a small amount off the back edge of the basket and now it Fits. Planning to have a bag of Rowaphos, and a bag of Rox 8 BRS Carbon in the two chambers.

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like the black substrate!

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update.
Now about 6 weeks since cycling started with Dr Tim's one and only which went smoothly. Next in one snail who survived and happily grazing on the small amount of algae in the tank. This was followed by two softies and a gorgonian and a tiny clown gobi last week. Going to Belize for a week so looking at getting two seahorses when I get back. Gradually reducing the temperature to 74 F over the next few weeks .
The little Cadlights skimmer works great and completely hidden in the back. I have an Intank media caddy which will have Rowaphos in a bag
Marine pure bioballs in the second chamber before the skimmer
I have a Hydor rotating water reflector for flow for now and two older IM lights for now.

ou12004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The upgrades you have made are really nice. Where did you get the media basket I would like to borrow that idea?

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The upgrades you have made are really nice. Where did you get the media basket I would like to borrow that idea?
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/
They have specific baskets for different tanks. Mine was a bit of tight fit. After doing some trimming, it finally fit in, but overall high quality and happy with it.

tomtom2245

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I've always wanted to do a seahorse tank. For some reason I can't see the last 4 pics you posted. What is your feeding regimen going to look like?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 97 80.8%
  • Other.

Back