OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool! I've always wanted to do a seahorse tank. For some reason I can't see the last 4 pics you posted. What is your feeding regimen going to look like?
Not sure why you can't see them.
Brine shrimp frozen three to five times a day.
I bought exactly what the LFS feeds them

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are gorgeous!

They need to come off the brine shrimp... well, not off, but they need more than that. Most people use frozen mysis.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful seahorse. Like Lionfish Lair said, mysis will meet your new pony's nutritional needs better. Since it is accustomed to brine shrimp which is small perhaps Hikari mysis which is also small will be more readily recieved. You could even mix it in with the brine shrimp at first.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H. erectus are nice "beginner" horses, if you want the full experience, as you'll also be able to raise their fry. Captive bred Kuda and Reidi are also usually available and are a good choice.

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool ty I will be ordering in a WEEK probably from Seahorse Source will get male/female

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have an awesome experience by going through him. In real life he's one of the crazy honest nice guys.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love those ponies! What is the thing about them being so susceptible to bacterial infections?
Its a combination of things. 1. They have skin rather than scales so they are more easily injured. 2. Their digestion is inefficient and somewhat primitive. This has a 2 fold impact, A. Their gut's are immune deficient, and B. They eat a high protein fatty diet but their stomach and intestine do not process it very well. As a result they need to eat a lot but it comes out and creates a heavy bioload. That bioload will fuel bacteria unless steps are taken to inhibit its growth.

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have an awesome experience by going through him. In real life he's one of the crazy honest nice guys.
I am limited to the species available locally.
Cost $149 Canadian.
Getting another on Saturday.
After getting settled on Monday, the little guy had me worried yesterday. Spent the whole day hidden in the back under the rocks and did not eat.
Came back this morning to find him ( her?) hanging onto the macro algae looking for food.
I checked and they have actually been fed Mysis .
So far so good.
Any comments on adding vitamin supplements?
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
That's what makes this website so great!

helldiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a little off subject but but Dave over at coral vue rock there office is 5 miles from my house and those guys Always hook me up Boy do I love there skimmers

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am limited to the species available locally.
Cost $149 Canadian.
Getting another on Saturday.
After getting settled on Monday, the little guy had me worried yesterday. Spent the whole day hidden in the back under the rocks and did not eat.
Came back this morning to find him ( her?) hanging onto the macro algae looking for food.
I checked and they have actually been fed Mysis .
So far so good.
Any comments on adding vitamin supplements?
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
That's what makes this website so great!
There is not much you can do with the frozen mysis as far as vitamin supplements. Anything you try to coat it with is just going to wash off and create a water quality problem. However if you supplement by gut loading live brine sbrimp or ghost shrimp then you can enrich their diet. Dan's Feed from Seahorse Source is a good all round supplement. You can get it with beta gluten for immune boost.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back