OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This showed up in the tank this week. Is this good or bad? It will have to move to one of my other tanks as not compatible with Seahorses.Apart from that we are doing well
They are eating well and growing . The colour adaptation of these animals are fascinating. Bright yellow when bought. Now changes from silver to grey to complete blend with the the Pukani Rock .
I have to look carefully sometimes and then notice that they are sitting right in front of my eyes curled up in the rock. I hope that some of the colour will return to yellow when the macro algae grows in. Is this colour change normal?
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP setting seahorse tank tomorrow just got my Branch Rock in from bulkreefsupply purple coated been doing a lot of reading on the subject there's a lot to it I'll be starting my cycling in my tank tomorrow any advice is greatly appreciated
I use Dr Tim's one and only to cycle. Found it to be reliable in all my tank starts so far. I cycled for about 3 weeks before adding a Gobi and then waited another 3 weeks before adding the seahorses.
Lots of info on :
Seahorse.org
One more thing, stock up on medications before you get them .
Good luck

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1542.JPG

Have not posted an update for a while
Tank is doing very well with current inhabitants. I only have one Reidi at present. The first one died after a few weeks from presumably white tip tail disease. By the time I figured it out was to late to respond to medications..
Apart from being alone , my surviving one is thriving and has doubled in size. Having quite a problem of obtaining another in Canada for the time being. My current LFS imported theirs from Syria and this is obviously not available at present. I was lamenting my lot the other day and my 13 year old pointed out that this is decidedly first world problems . Peace for Syria .
If anyone in Canada knows of someone who ships ,please let me know.

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finally able to get a few more ponies
Have been looking for the past 6 months and the LFS in the city 3 hrs away from me got a huge shipment in. They appear to have settled in very nicely and eating ferociously.
My resident horse have also adopted the juveniles quite nicely and they are ok hanging out together. It looks a bit like a jungle scene with the three peering out from the top of the Kenya tree and the goby has happily joined them as a lookout.
IMG_1627.JPG

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am switching my 18 gallon seahorse tank to my Elos 36 Midi cube. ( the 36 is being upgraded to a 60 cube)
Yes I know I am going to be busy!
Anyway , just added 3 juveniles and by the time they are the size of my resident, now about 5" will need more real estate . I currently have a simple spinstream in the 18 and it is enough flow and safe .
The 36 has a gyre which will go to the 60.
I need advice on a flow for the 36. I don't want any standard pumps that risks the horses attaching to the cage and getting injured if the pumps are in intermittent modes but I need to have enough flow to have good circulation to clean the tank. They eat a lot Andy I mean a Lot!
Thought about a wave box but not sure if that is enough flow .
Help is appreciated.

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and great tank! I am planning on upgrading to a 60gal this summer and turning my 10g into a seahorse tank. Definitely following this.

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread and great tank! I am planning on upgrading to a 60gal this summer and turning my 10g into a seahorse tank. Definitely following this.
Others are more expert then me, but I think a 10gal is too small for a seahorse tank, you might want to think about making the 60gal one instead.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tanks!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was finally able to get a few more ponies
Have been looking for the past 6 months and the LFS in the city 3 hrs away from me got a huge shipment in. They appear to have settled in very nicely and eating ferociously.
My resident horse have also adopted the juveniles quite nicely and they are ok hanging out together. It looks a bit like a jungle scene with the three peering out from the top of the Kenya tree and the goby has happily joined them as a lookout.
IMG_1627.JPG

That is SO awesome!

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding frenzy! Pipefish doing well on mysis.
Trying out the Hydor 180 gph. Planning to have 4 of these in the 36 cube. There are no exposed spinning parts that may damage tails.
IMG_1763.JPG

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding frenzy! Pipefish doing well on mysis.
Trying out the Hydor 180 gph. Planning to have 4 of these in the 36 cube. There are no exposed spinning parts that may damage tails.
IMG_1763.JPG
The tank looks great! I tried using the IM frozen food "thingee" as well but my shrimp took over and the other fish in the tank gobbled up all the mysis as they came out, but for a seahorse/pipefish tank it's great.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back